• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB drops 71-69 loss to Navy at home in overtime

This team crapped the bed tonight. Had 8 and 9 point leades and could not finish. Sad.

Edited by etiger

53 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

17-24 from the line at home 🫣

Only our 3rd home game and we….  ah to be a Towson fan. 

Wtf are you talking about? 70.5 percent is what we have shot all year from the line. What are you trying to get at?

50 minutes ago, TSU88 said:Timberlake is particularly frustrating to me. A guy in his 28th year with the program (ok, I’m exaggerating a bit) and still sulks, pouts, makes boneheaded plays and takes head scratching shots.  Holden is a fine Swiss Army knife, but shooting just isn’t his forte. CT gets in early foul trouble, resulting in Paar coming in the game, which is painful to watch (Biekeu actually looked good in the 1st half, once Skerry couldn’t stomach Paar anymore). Poor Conway, maybe the best shooter on the team (I damn with faint praise) and he misses the 1st shot of the game, then commits a charge, and gets buried on the bench for most of the rest of the game. Sylla has no outside shot, and frequently gets caught up inside when he vainly tries to shoot over much taller defenders. Meanwhile, who knows if/when Gibson will be back. What a bunch of dreck. And we have what, another 5-10 years of this, after that brilliant 8 year contract extension Skerry got back in 2017

Yup. Mr disappear. 

43 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Wtf are you talking about? 70.5 percent is what we have shot all year from the line. What are you trying to get at?

Yup. Mr disappear. 

Getting at..  we blew a game at home is all.  Do I have to be positive 24-7 on this board???  And yes foul shots when you lose by 2….  understand we shoot 70% but still aggravating.  

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Getting at..  we blew a game at home is all.  Do I have to be positive 24-7 on this board???  And yes foul shots when you lose by 2….  understand we shoot 70% but still aggravating.  

Not defending, taking care of the ball, no leadership and questionable play calling are the reasons we lost, not 70% from the line. 

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Not defending, taking care of the ball, no leadership and questionable play calling are the reasons we lost, not 70% from the line. 

Omg.  You are like a host from Fox News.. never said foul shooting was the sole reason we lost.  Pointing out that in a 2 point loss when you leave 7 points off the board it is frustrating and especially at home where we rarely play non conference games and always seem to faulter. 

I want to see this group succeed.  Not a good effort today and I hope they bounce back against Northern Iowa who is down right now and I really hope we get at least one of our PG’s back for it cause we obviously need all hands on deck to win each night.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I was thinking on the (long) drive home after the game about how inept we are when it comes to walking off games with shots at the buzzer. I remember Morsell doing it In Belfast, and in fairness maybe there have been other occasions (though I’m not positive that’s the case). Honestly, did anyone on here realistically believe we’d hit the winning shot at the end of regulation (where we failed to even get a shot off) or in OT? It’s an indictment of Skerry’s failure after all these years to have ever brought in a guard who can come up big at the end of a game 

• Like 1

It felt like we weren't playing with much urgency the last 7-8 minutes of the game and in OT. There were several occasions where we were one stop and score from pushing this to a double-digit game, but we just couldn't executive consistently today. Navy kept executing their stuff and was pretty consistent (not great, but consistent) down the stretch and we weren't. What was most disheartening about this game is it felt like we took our foot off the petal and assumed we had the game won. Navy really made us pay for that mentality. 

I agree that we don't really have a good go-to scorer, but we do have enough options on this team to score at a decent level. I may be crazy, but as much as I love him any time Thompson gets the ball and it isn't either in a two-man game with Holden or an offensive rebound the offense seems to get bogged down. Timberlake is in a funk and he will get better at some point. My main worry as someone mentioned is we just don't have the scorer on the team to let Timberlake the be the complementary scorer/shooter he should be. 

I said this last year, and I will say it again. Timberlake and Thompson should not be primary offensive options. They are very good role players. With Sylla, Russell and Conway (and even May and Biekeu, who played great today in limited minutes) we have a deeper team with more solid role players. We just don't have anyone as others have said that can take the ball in a big spot and score on their own. While I think some are being overcritical on here, I do worry about where we are at this point in the season in that we are not getting better and the same patterns keep coming up. Hopefully in the next two games before conference play we can get some of that straightened out. 

I said last year when had a healthy Nolan Jr. and a fully healthy roster we were a team that was ready to win the CAA Conference and Tournament. Without Nolan Jr at full capacity (and Thompson eventually banged up), we were a team hoping to win the conference. With what we have seen from Hofstra, Charleston and UNC-Wilmington early on we look like a team hoping to be good enough to be in the mix.

That is difficult to see right now with the expectations we all have for this team. We are only 11 games into the season, and there is still time for guys like May, Biekeu and Conway to evolve, Sylla and Russell to get more comfortable, Gibson and/or Hicks to get healthy, and Timberlake to catch fire. However, we are long way from where need to be to reach our goals. 

• Like 1

Last night they were saying freshman stop being freshman around February. We need our freshman to grow up by this weekend. Big slate of games in Chicago (anyone know the TV/Streaming info) then a new years day bout with the best team in the league CofC. Coach Pat Kelsey is an electric factory and a good follow on Twitter