• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

UNI pummels MBB in second half, wins 83-66

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=423628&_gl=1*1oqp1ea*_ga*MTQ3MDQwOTE5LjE2NjM0NDU4MTg.*_ga_2ZWVK1X7BJ*MTY3MTMwMDEzNC4xNC4xLjE2NzEzMDAxNTEuMC4wLjA.

Glad I missed most of the game and we're beyond limping into conference play. Hard to believe they can just turn it on when Charleston visits on Dec. 31. Key numbers were bench points: 28-2. Fouling? UNI lived at the line making 25 of 34 Turnovers? 18 Concentration level? Focus? 

Since I didn't watch it or hear most of it, let PS describe it

“We’re struggling. Big theme for us before the season was that Towson doesn’t beat Towson. Clearly, I’m not doing a good enough job of getting that message across. Guys got their minutes. Responsibility has to be better. We’re not guarding. We’re fouling. We’re too consumed with officiating. I got my first technical in eight years. It’s not the player’s job to do that. We’re turning the ball over. Top 3 (CT, NT, Cam) had 13 turnovers. Cam was out all week (sick). We have to practice. Guys can’t practice, they can’t play. I let them know that. We have a lot of work to do. It’s about practice. Even if it’s a guy that’s been around. Can’t practice, have to play somebody else. What we’re doing is not working. It’s not a point of emphasis, excuses (for road games). We’re turning the ball over. Our defense has lost our way. Not trusting. Closeouts. Missing some scouting reports errors. It’s ownership. Good players. Good people. With that comes responsibility. Have to coach a lot better. Goes to the head coach down to the staff down to the players who are playing a lot of minutes. Difficult last 12 minutes. This is what you get on a neutral floor come March. We will have to alter some things defensively. Disappointed that we can do things well ½ dozen games and then have slippage in a couple and it’s the same players. That part is disconcerting."

On Charles not scoring after getting 11 points early

"They doubled the post. He didn’t get enough touches. Has to post up tougher and deeper. We need him to score the ball and rebound at a high level. We’re second in the league in rebounding margin but don’t have anybody in the top 5. We have some older guys (Jason injured). Can’t hang on that. Guys are healthy, they will play. Everything else is an excuse. The ownership and responsibility is lacking from the older guys. Defensive urgency and turnovers haven’t been there. As a coach, the message isn’t getting across and maybe you’re playing the wrong guys."

19 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

The ship be sinking 

I think it’s close to the ocean floor.  
Losing to a young and not good Uni team that came in 2-7 and scoring 65 a game, allowing them to put up 83 is not good. 

Look, we feasted on an extremely weak OOC schedule. There were 2 teams that may finish top half of their league. 
We are not close to the top 4 teams in the league right now and I’m not sure if we get closer anytime soon. Reinforcements aren’t coming except maybe Gibson and that’s a big if.

We have at least 3-4 players on the roster who aren’t d1 players.  But like bill parcels once said “let me shop for the ingredients if I am going to cook” or something like that,  pat recruited these guys. the three point shooting on this team has been atrocious and I’m guessing a certain player had an outlier last year as his shooting this year has been way closer to his career than last 

31 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

The ship be sinking 

Michael Ray played for Montana and wish we could send these guys to Missoula after the 22nd for mini camp of some sorts.  
I marked down Northern Iowa as the indicator game for the rest of our season.  
Ship is sinking and could be wrecked in Smithfield next week.  

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/12/17/mens-basketball-towson-mens-basketball-falls-83-66-to-uni-on-saturday-in-chicago.aspx

As far as playing the bench more, that's fine. But when you get two points off the bench and you're not getting anything offensively from Sylla, Biekeu, Hicks and May, not sure what else you can do until Gibson returns. You can start Hicks, get more D and less O, and bring off Conway for some O. Though maybe playing Holden and Timberlake 30 minutes or less can't hurt. 

6 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Michael Ray played for Montana and wish we could send these guys to Missoula after the 22nd for mini camp of some sorts.  
I marked down Northern Iowa as the indicator game for the rest of our season.  
Ship is sinking and could be wrecked in Smithfield next week.  

I’m sure Bryant at 6-4 feels the same as we do right now. Not living up to expectations. The bulldogs don’t really defend but we can’t score so.  

where is the leadership and sense of urgency?!  We start 4 guys who are 4th/5th year players and should be better than 8-4. Disappointed in the three guys who were here last year. 

11 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I’m sure Bryant at 6-4 feels the same as we do right now. Not living up to expectations. The bulldogs don’t really defend but we can’t score so.  

where is the leadership and sense of urgency?!  We start 4 guys who are 4th/5th year players and should be better than 8-4. Disappointed in the three guys who were here last year. 

Bryant shot 49% and still lost by 20 to Liberty today. They beat Cuse earlier this season.  
We are gonna have to have 10 turnovers or less and shoot 40% or better from 3 to have a shot on the road.  

43 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Bryant shot 49% and still lost by 20 to Liberty today. They beat Cuse earlier this season.  
We are gonna have to have 10 turnovers or less and shoot 40% or better from 3 to have a shot on the road.  

Save the trip. We can’t shoot from three. 
Man, we went from a lot of hype and press and excitement to awful disappointment very quickly 

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/12/17/mens-basketball-towson-mens-basketball-falls-83-66-to-uni-on-saturday-in-chicago.aspx

As far as playing the bench more, that's fine. But when you get two points off the bench and you're not getting anything offensively from Sylla, Biekeu, Hicks and May, not sure what else you can do until Gibson returns. You can start Hicks, get more D and less O, and bring off Conway for some O. Though maybe playing Holden and Timberlake 30 minutes or less can't hurt. 

That's insane.  Skerry does not recruit offense, so if we want to play the bench more, we'd put up 40 points a game.  For once can we recruit a dynamic freshman?  Conway has been a nice surprise and May might be good, but the rest (and the upcoming recruiting class) look weak.  It's a shame because we have potential this year.