• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB Thread 2022-23

25 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I have nothing to base this on, other than a gut feeling (and perhaps a dose of wishful thinking) but I have a feeling we got a hidden gem 💎 in Cole. FWIW, he looks the part; looks like he’s built along the lines of Estrada on Hofstra (I’m not saying he’s going to be another Estrada, though that would be nice). 6’4 with bounce and the ability to stroke the 3. Well, a guy can dream, right?🤔🤷‍♂️

Mat, can you explain how a kid from Canada 🇨🇦 is playing on team Latin America at the NBA Academy? For that matter, just what is the NBA Academy, how does one get into it, and what do they do other than hoop? I mean, I assume there’s a school component as well 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

As expected 

The press release quotes Skerry as saying Gibson “has and will continue to be an exemplary student-athlete and leader in our program.” Is that just coach speak or a hint Gibson is going to seek a medical redshirt year & try and play next season? Seems a bit risky to tie a scholarship up with him. That might sound cold, but not necessarily an unfair question to ask 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

The press release quotes Skerry as saying Gibson “has and will continue to be an exemplary student-athlete and leader in our program.” Is that just coach speak or a hint Gibson is going to seek a medical redshirt year & try and play next season? Seems a bit risky to tie a scholarship up with him. That might sound cold, but not necessarily an unfair question to ask 

I would do the same thing. It's better PR and not to just say let's just move on. The last thing you want to do is take away his scholarship because he can't play anymore. It should be up to him. Now, unless he gets another surgery, my assumption is that his playing days are over. Even with the surgery, I would just want to live my life as normally as possible if I were him. As somebody who conitues to have those issues with the back, I emphasize with him.

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

I have nothing to base this on, other than a gut feeling (and perhaps a dose of wishful thinking) but I have a feeling we got a hidden gem 💎 in Cole. FWIW, he looks the part; looks like he’s built along the lines of Estrada on Hofstra (I’m not saying he’s going to be another Estrada, though that would be nice). 6’4 with bounce and the ability to stroke the 3. Well, a guy can dream, right?🤔🤷‍♂️

Mat, can you explain how a kid from Canada 🇨🇦 is playing on team Latin America at the NBA Academy? For that matter, just what is the NBA Academy, how does one get into it, and what do they do other than hoop? I mean, I assume there’s a school component as well 

I don't have a clue about why he's playing in Latin America. All I know is, he's got potential and is a bit thin. Lowery same thing. That's why I'm a bit higher on Tejada playing next season because he looks like he can take the pounding right away. You just look at his game and Biekeu and it's night and day.

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

He doesn’t need a medical redshirt. He, Nick and Charles could all come back next year.  

5 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

He doesn’t need a medical redshirt. He, Nick and Charles could all come back next year.  

Nick is not returning. Charles is 50-50 and Jason could probably get two extra years, but I'm sure everything depends on his health.

8 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

If NT came back, maybe he could finish as the leading scorer in school history. No way he’s coming back. I hope CT does. Could be a nice 1-2 inside punch with him and the freshman Tejada coming in.  

Edited by TSU88

9 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Nick is not returning. Charles is 50-50 and Jason could probably get two extra years, but I'm sure everything depends on his health.

Could. 

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

If NT came back, maybe he could finish as the leading scorer in school history. No way he’s coming back. I hope CT does. Could be a nice 1-2 inside punch with him and the freshman Tejada coming in.  

He would also be 25 years old haha 

If somebody has a chance to make $50,000+ overseas or return for no money or minimal NIL, I would think the overseas $$$ makes sense. If Parker-Rivera, Zane, and Juwan Gray can make $$$, I'm pretty sure Nick and probably CT can do ok. CT is a great kid and if he wants to stay and get a little NIL, he's certainly welcome. I'd love to have him back, because selfishly we could still compete. I don't know how his game translates in that setting as a power forward without a jumper. At least TJ had an incredible motor and a semblance of a face-up game.