• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB Thread 2022-23

6 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I think the comment/joke is borne of frustration, which I completely understand. Perhaps it’s an apples and oranges analogy but we’ve had two different HC’s take the WBB team to the finals of the CAAT tournament in the last 4 years, while the men’s team has yet to win more than 1 game in any CAAT tournament in over a decade under its coach.

If that’s not a fair comparison, how about the fact that every school in the conference since Skerry took the TU job (so I’m excluding NCAT, Monmouth, Stony Brook & Hampton) has been to the finals of the CAAT (disclaimer-Elon might be an exception. Even if so, that’s all 7 of the other schools (NE, Hofstra, Drexel, Delaware, W&M, UNCW and C of C). 

Elon has.  Covid year. But still

Looks like SEMO made the first four, I bet Nygal Russell is kicking himself now for transferring here thinking he’d have a better shot at the tourney

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

I think the comment/joke is borne of frustration, which I completely understand. Perhaps it’s an apples and oranges analogy but we’ve had two different HC’s take the WBB team to the finals of the CAAT tournament in the last 4 years, while the men’s team has yet to win more than 1 game in any CAAT tournament in over a decade under its coach.

If that’s not a fair comparison, how about the fact that every school in the conference since Skerry took the TU job (so I’m excluding NCAT, Monmouth, Stony Brook & Hampton) has been to the finals of the CAAT (disclaimer-Elon might be an exception. Even if so, that’s all 7 of the other schools (NE, Hofstra, Drexel, Delaware, W&M, UNCW and C of C). 

It might be interesting to see how many Towson sports have been to NCAA post season competition since the last time MBB has done that.

Our men’s team last went dancing in 1991, playing Ohio State. The #1 song that year was (Everything I do) I do it for you, by Bryan Adams. The # 1 movie was Terminator 2, and the #1 rated tv show was 60 minutes. GW Bush the 1st was president. A child born in March of 91 would now be 32 years old and quite possibly have his or her own children. 

After 19 years of no NCAA tournament appearances, Pat Skerry was hired as HC in 2011. The #1 song that year was “Rolling in the deep” by Adele. (The next time I listen to this song, will be the first time I listen to it). The #1 movie was Harry Potter, part 2. (He’s in charge of a M*A*S*H unit, right? No wait, that’s a different Potter). The highest rated tv show was Sunday Night Football and Obama was president. Something called Instagram debuted the year before. 

And the beat goes on 

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

It might be interesting to see how many Towson sports have been to NCAA post season competition since the last time MBB has done that.

Women’s hoops. Mens and women’s lacrosse.  Football. Volleyball.  Baseball. Who else?

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Women’s hoops. Mens and women’s lacrosse.  Football. Volleyball.  Baseball. Who else?

softball, gymnastics, Tennis? Golf M and/or w, Men's Soccer....they wound up playing Wake Forest...a great game. 

42 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Our men’s team last went dancing in 1991, playing Ohio State. The #1 song that year was (Everything I do) I do it for you, by Bryan Adams. The # 1 movie was Terminator 2, and the #1 rated tv show was 60 minutes. GW Bush the 1st was president. A child born in March of 91 would now be 32 years old and quite possibly have his or her own children. 

After 19 years of no NCAA tournament appearances, Pat Skerry was hired as HC in 2011. The #1 song that year was “Rolling in the deep” by Adele. (The next time I listen to this song, will be the first time I listen to it). The #1 movie was Harry Potter, part 2. (He’s in charge of a M*A*S*H unit, right? No wait, that’s a different Potter). The highest rated tv show was Sunday Night Football and Obama was president. Something called Instagram debuted the year before. 

And the beat goes on 

Solid Colonel Potter reference 😉

Not disputing any of this, just responding to the joke with a joke of my own. I am only a defender of Skerry in the sense of firing a coach who has won 46 games in the and gone 27-9 in conference play the last two years seems extremely absurd on the surface, but I do understand the ultimate balance sheet and the frustration of how long it has been since we appeared in the NCAA Tournament. I just don't engage in this argument much because I know where you stand and you know where I stand. It doesn't help to put words in people's mouths, which often happens on both ends here so I won't do it.

I respect the viewpoints and understand why everyone feels this way, I just don't agree at this particular time with your course of action (I was a lot closer to all of you after 2020-21 even thought COVID was an unfair time to do it). Believe me when I tell you I have done as much or more research on the futility of this program to get to a conference tournament final (as it pertains to the conference and nationally) over the last 30 years than anyone here. It is more than just Skerry, but having been here for nearly half of that timeframe now he certainly wears a decent amount of the failure of it despite the fact that he has done the best job of anyone this side of terry Truax to make this program respectable.

Ultimately, there is a point in time where the absurdity needs to end in terms of the NCAA Tournament drought. As I have said and will continue to say, it is borderline idiotic to chase out a coach that has done what Skerry has done the last two years. Where I completely agree with you all is these type of conference seasons and being in the mix for a tournament appearance (semis or better in the conference) is the minimum standard I expect next year no matter how many players we lose.

Whether that is realistic or not, that is what the modern-day college basketball landscape is like. If we take a step back there are 4-5 programs ready to leap over us, and that is where I draw the line of unacceptable. I imagine that is close to where Steve Eigonbrot is as a person that has to make logical decisions about these types of things. 

• Like 1