• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB Thread 2022-23

3 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Not disputing any of this, just responding to the joke with a joke of my own. I am only a defender of Skerry in the sense of firing a coach who has won 46 games in the and gone 27-9 in conference play the last two years seems extremely absurd on the surface, but I do understand the ultimate balance sheet and the frustration of how long it has been since we appeared in the NCAA Tournament. I just don't engage in this argument much because I know where you stand and you know where I stand. It doesn't help to put words in people's mouths, which often happens on both ends here so I won't do it.

I respect the viewpoints and understand why everyone feels this way, I just don't agree at this particular time with your course of action (I was a lot closer to all of you after 2020-21 even thought COVID was an unfair time to do it). Believe me when I tell you I have done as much or more research on the futility of this program to get to a conference tournament final (as it pertains to the conference and nationally) over the last 30 years than anyone here. It is more than just Skerry, but having been here for nearly half of that timeframe now he certainly wears a decent amount of the failure of it despite the fact that he has done the best job of anyone this side of terry Truax to make this program respectable.

Ultimately, there is a point in time where the absurdity needs to end in terms of the NCAA Tournament drought. As I have said and will continue to say, it is borderline idiotic to chase out a coach that has done what Skerry has done the last two years. Where I completely agree with you all is these type of conference seasons and being in the mix for a tournament appearance (semis or better in the conference) is the minimum standard I expect next year no matter how many players we lose.

Whether that is realistic or not, that is what the modern-day college basketball landscape is like. If we take a step back there are 4-5 programs ready to leap over us, and that is where I draw the line of unacceptable. I imagine that is close to where Steve Eigonbrot is as a person that has to make logical decisions about these types of things. 

ok....so your comment of "research", got my (albeit tiny) brain thinking....and consulting professor Google (plse let me know if the following research is off; i mean dat)

Towson hoops:  1979/80 - now.....44 years Div 1 hoops. Have we always been D1?  i think so.  sucks no NCAA tournament; we are part of a shitty trivia question im sure

572-738 43%  #losers

79-83, Agnoti in 4 seasons = .250%

83-98 Traux, 14 seasons = .499%

97-01 Jaskulski 4 seasons = .327%

02-04 Hunt 3 seasons (why so fast?) = .276%

05-11 kennedy 7 seasons = .330% (ran into, probation?  WTF)

11-23 Skerry 12 seasons   = .511%

so... i'm trying to figure out why this group *  (*well, like 4-5 sad lads) wanna run the guy w/ the best record, EVER, outta the school.  SMH.  1-31 to 18-13; is the GREATEST turnaround in the history of D1 basketball?  is this still true/still stand?  WTF?    helloooooo    towson, not UCLA

then i peel da onion a bit more and say....WTF.  if you eliminate Skerry year 1 (1-31)  (ya know, the year they were on PROBATION) (pretty sure that has practice hr restrictions/ recruiting restrictions...thats on the "other/previous pat" btw -)....and eliminate the covid year ( maybe a stretch - but....work wit me, as the players ALL got a muligan on Covid, what if this staff did too?)  (4-14)......i'm no math major -doesnt skerry & this staff record become  like 75% ?     can someone plse fact check this?  year 1 out, covid out?  and.......75% ?    WTF?  

if this is true (and again, I think year 1 100% should be out....and global pandemic thingy kinda real, but i get everyone had that -so im 50/50).... shouldnt you guys be building a fcuking statue (albeit short one) for SKerry.  are y'all insane?  i think these numbers check out.  look, im bias to teams dat WIN consistently , play real defense, play hard and rebound...  get in the mix (almost) EVERY year, and have a chance....a yearly chance!(   I guess some don't give a shiat about consistency, and it's ncaa tournament or nothing - bring me da shiny toy.  I like shiny things too, but this program was a JOKE before this group. A F*cKING JOKE., no consistency.   Seriously, a joke.  https://grantland.com/features/visit-worst-team-men-college-basketball/

Now, ask any coach, player, fan of the CAA what they think about playing Towson NOW (and im even not talking about graduation rate, autism acceptance and other stuff that never existed prior to) . i know this is a futile post - haters gonna hate. "we havent danced, blahblha"  ....coach has takin us as far as he can (lol, where ya thinking you are going w/out him?) but im curious (not really) to what said haters think if they look (really )looked at the numbers?; again....this aint ever gonna be Gonzaga.  who da fcuk is gonna do better?  this aint a destination job.  

100% sucks we aint been dancing, but i dont get da lack of self awareness.  fire da coach i say IF you can get phil jackson, rick pitino, dean smith, (or their budgets  #NIL)...but otherwise; as my grandfather said, "they actually made chicken salad, outta chicken shit".     i'm shocked (not really, #poopinpants message boards love to complain, see kentucky lol)) the 4-5 sadlads just dont get it.  ....y'all just dont get it (yep, you 2 really end of day)  2012 & tualum hang out? 

onto the portal........onto next year.....hope NT & CH cash big checks ballin.  #may....CT?....conway!   loved the journey this year, bummed wit the end.  but....I can still see the forest thru da trees/idiots

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TTiger2024 said:

ok....so your comment of "research", got my (albeit tiny) brain thinking....and consulting professor Google (plse let me know if the following research is off; i mean dat)

Towson hoops:  1979/80 - now.....44 years Div 1 hoops. Have we always been D1?  i think so.  sucks no NCAA tournament; we are part of a shitty trivia question im sure

572-738 43%  #losers

79-83, Agnoti in 4 seasons = .250%

83-98 Traux, 14 seasons = .499%

97-01 Jaskulski 4 seasons = .327%

02-04 Hunt 3 seasons (why so fast?) = .276%

05-11 kennedy 7 seasons = .330% (ran into, probation?  WTF)

11-23 Skerry 12 seasons   = .511%

so... i'm trying to figure out why this group *  (*well, like 4-5 sad lads) wanna run the guy w/ the best record, EVER, outta the school.  SMH.  1-31 to 18-13; is the GREATEST turnaround in the history of D1 basketball?  is this still true/still stand?  WTF?    helloooooo    towson, not UCLA

then i peel da onion a bit more and say....WTF.  if you eliminate Skerry year 1 (1-31)  (ya know, the year they were on PROBATION) (pretty sure that has practice hr restrictions/ recruiting restrictions...thats on the "other/previous pat" btw -)....and eliminate the covid year ( maybe a stretch - but....work wit me, as the players ALL got a muligan on Covid, what if this staff did too?)  (4-14)......i'm no math major -doesnt skerry & this staff record become  like 75% ?     can someone plse fact check this?  year 1 out, covid out?  and.......75% ?    WTF?  

if this is true (and again, I think year 1 100% should be out....and global pandemic thingy kinda real, but i get everyone had that -so im 50/50).... shouldnt you guys be building a fcuking statue (albeit short one) for SKerry.  are y'all insane?  i think these numbers check out.  look, im bias to teams dat WIN consistently , play real defense, play hard and rebound...  get in the mix (almost) EVERY year, and have a chance....a yearly chance!(   I guess some don't give a shiat about consistency, and it's ncaa tournament or nothing - bring me da shiny toy.  I like shiny things too, but this program was a JOKE before this group. A F*cKING JOKE., no consistency.   Seriously, a joke.  https://grantland.com/features/visit-worst-team-men-college-basketball/

Now, ask any coach, player, fan of the CAA what they think about playing Towson NOW (and im even not talking about graduation rate, autism acceptance and other stuff that never existed prior to) . i know this is a futile post - haters gonna hate. "we havent danced, blahblha"  ....coach has takin us as far as he can (lol, where ya thinking you are going w/out him?) but im curious (not really) to what said haters think if they look (really )looked at the numbers?; again....this aint ever gonna be Gonzaga.  who da fcuk is gonna do better?  this aint a destination job.  

100% sucks we aint been dancing, but i dont get da lack of self awareness.  fire da coach i say IF you can get phil jackson, rick pitino, dean smith, (or their budgets  #NIL)...but otherwise; as my grandfather said, "they actually made chicken salad, outta chicken shit".     i'm shocked (not really, #poopinpants message boards love to complain, see kentucky lol)) the 4-5 sadlads just dont get it.  ....y'all just dont get it (yep, you 2 really end of day)  2012 & tualum hang out? 

onto the portal........onto next year.....hope NT & CH cash big checks ballin.  #may....CT?....conway!   loved the journey this year, bummed wit the end.  but....I can still see the forest thru da trees/idiots

I generally agree with these horrifically written comments but at some point enough has to be enough. I’m close to that point. I don’t think he deserves to be fired but if we don’t make the tourney I don’t think his contact should be renewed. 

He was given a brand new arena with drastically increased facilities. I was in PKs staff as a manager and his whole thing was getting a new arena built. He was told it was going to happen and obviously never was during his tenure. 

I very much appreciate Skerry getting us out of the depths of hell. But at some point it will be time to move on. I want nothing more than him to make the tourney. He’s a great man by all accounts and he’s been incredible for the program. But there is one thing left to do….

Edited by griggey20
  • Like 2

He has won a lot of games in conference and against bad teams, but in typical towson fashion we can’t seem to win the big games. This year I will cut him some slack for not getting it done in the tourney, CofC is on a team of destiny run and with 30 straight wins I don’t think any one in the CAA tourney was gonna beat Charleston. 

I also agree give him a mulligan on the first 1-31 season. Hard to recruit guys to come to a losing program, that can’t make the tournament because other guys did bad academically, and play in a dimly lit depressing towson center. 

I think we gotta stick it out with Skerry for a few more years. The grass may not be greener with a new coach

• Like 2

2 hours ago, griggey20 said:

I generally agree with these horrifically written comments but at some point enough has to be enough. I’m close to that point. I don’t think he deserves to be fired but if we don’t make the tourney I don’t think his contact should be renewed. 

He was given a brand new arena with drastically increased facilities. I was in PKs staff as a manager and his whole thing was getting a new arena built. He was told it was going to happen and obviously never was during his tenure. 

I very much appreciate Skerry getting us out of the depths of hell. But at some point it will be time to move on. I want nothing more than him to make the tourney. He’s a great man by all accounts and he’s been incredible for the program. But there is one thing left to do….

Same, I was too. Kennedy era was hell, especially within front row view. Skerry has had every advantage, more money. New arena. New facility. Weaker caa. He has done a great job with the program where is started but that only gets so much good will.  

The poster wants to eliminate the bad years fine, so let’s eliminate all the rebuilding years!  If you remove the first year and d2 wins he is a few games over 500.

Honestly he would have been gone already if we didn’t give an unwarranted super long extension 

Skerry is definitely on the radar of Holy Cross fans to some degree.....his name shows up several times on their fan chat board in the thread "New Coach?"  The second page of the thread has a lot of fan banter about Pat.  Seems like he's mostly a popular choice for HC fans.

Coaching Candidates - Short List | Crossports (freeforums.net)

Edited by AtlantaTiger
Update

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Same, I was too. Kennedy era was hell, especially within front row view. Skerry has had every advantage, more money. New arena. New facility. Weaker caa. He has done a great job with the program where is started but that only gets so much good will.  

The poster wants to eliminate the bad years fine, so let’s eliminate all the rebuilding years!  If you remove the first year and d2 wins he is a few games over 500.

Honestly he would have been gone already if we didn’t give an unwarranted super long extension 

College sports is a two sided coin. When you with a conference championship....even if you suck during the year, you wind up getting a nice extension. BUT if you don't there are a thousand reasons why and next year will be better. If you get the extension for winning, you need to pay the price for losing. This is so similar to a previous discussion where we were not supposed to get on the players (since they are just kids doing their best). If you stick out your chest and expect a lot of bravos when you win, you need to pay the price when you don't. Realistically, we don't have the money so this is a moot point, but the point must be made. That is true beauty of sport. There is a scoreboard. Either you win or you lose when it matters. Those that don't win when it matters should not be around very long. 

Hope all the Skerry lovers are still proud of the banner that says we are not 1-31. 

Worth with bill Herrion fired from unh (all time leader in wins at the school), Pat is the longest tenured coach without an NCAA appearance. Atleast we aren’t 1-31! Be greatful!

9 hours ago, griggey20 said:

You must have some great Jimmy V stories from PK!!   Forgetting the season but I remember a PK team that we beat Dayton on the road early on and Pat was on cloud nine and telling Spiro for us fans to get ready and I was really excited as well and then it just fell apart. 
I just wonder if PK had SECU if it would have changed his tenure?

13 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

You must have some great Jimmy V stories from PK!!   Forgetting the season but I remember a PK team that we beat Dayton on the road early on and Pat was on cloud nine and telling Spiro for us fans to get ready and I was really excited as well and then it just fell apart. 
I just wonder if PK had SECU if it would have changed his tenure?

Revisionist history? PK had Gary Neal, Dennard Abraham, Braxton Dupree and Isaiah Philmore. He had enough talent to at least have a winning season. Anybody remember that 1-3-1 zone trap? He was an interesting guy and did have great stories, but if I had to hear one more story about Bobby Sura, Charlie Ward, and Sam Cassell, I was going to jump off the top of the Towson Center.  

• Like 2

I loved the Pat Kennedy hire when it happened and I really appreciated the fact that he helped this Athletic Department figure out a lot of things they were doing wrong. It set the stage for what Pat Skerry has been able to do. Kennedy was also awesome at Iona, Florida State and early on at DePaul. However, from the 2000-01 season at DePaul all the way through Montana (where he did have the resources to win that conference) and his Towson run things went downhill pretty quickly.

I remember thinking when Kennedy left, we just aren't going to ever find anyone to turn around this sinking ship. I credit Mike Waddell for being pretty plugged in to the assistant coaching camp and circuit, which was a clique a lot of younger ADs were around and used to cultivate young coaching talent. Skerry was definitely a good up and coming coach when we got him and I really appreciated that. I think Griggey20 said it best. Talking about firing Skerry right now doesn't make much sense, but there can't be much of a drop off and we can't accept anything less than continuing to make progress to trying to get to the NCAA Tournament (I hope I didn't take what you said out of context). 

One reason why I was hesitant to look at other coaches in the past in football and basketball is I just didn't trust the AD in place to do it very well. I am glad Eigonbrot made the football hire and not Leonard, and I do trust him to figure out what to do based on how Skerry performs in the next year or so. I actually am optimistic that Skerry has figured out some things the last couple of years, but I am extremely interested to see what he gets out of the portal this offseason, because it is an important part in not letting this program take a step back.

Edited by Tiger93
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1