• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB Thread 2022-23

Just because Cam is not an NBA talent, doesn’t mean he wasn’t a very productive player for us. He did lead the league in assists and I can’t remember the last time a Towson player did that. Needs to work on handle, left hand, body, jumper, free throw shooting and defense. 

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

Just because Cam is not an NBA talent, doesn’t mean he wasn’t a very productive player for us. He did lead the league in assists and I can’t remember the last time a Towson player did that. Needs to work on handle, left hand, body, jumper, free throw shooting and defense. 

His defense is interesting. I think he actually has te potential to be a very good defender on the perimeter. He has great anticipation, and is excellent at jumping in passing lanes to get steals. I also think he does a solid job at using his size against players quicker than him to keep up. When he was locked in he did this pretty well.

I feel like more physical players who have a good post game can back him down fairly easily and score, but if they are just backing him down to be physical I think he was pretty solid. You need good post moves in general to score on him. All this can be canceled out when isn't motivated, which did happen during chunks of both seasons. However, I do think overall when he is locked in his defense is above average. That "when" part is big key.

The other struggle towards the end of the season as the games were getting a little chippy is he went a little bit over the edge and did some weird things in games. I am sure he can figure that out, but he just needs to turn the page when he gets beat and not let it get to him. Like you said, none of this really adds up to anything close to an NBA Player, but if he wants to there is definitely a solid overseas career that he could carve out to make some money.

I always found it interesting that Skerry thought he could be a coach someday. I don't know if I saw that. There are very few players that could go back and forth from play to play with some of the dumbest and smartest decisions I have seen paired so closely together. That stretch right before conference play was so beneath his talent level it was depressing to watch, but I give him a lot of credit for digging out of it and finshing strong. 

3 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

A lot of players do this knowing they have no shot at getting drafted. I think he knows that too, but he has to put it out there. At least he can possibly get invited to a camp testing himself against NBA caliber players. I don't think any of us can do that. Best wishes to Cam. I don't know where his journey will take him, but I hope we finds a good next stop to build on some of what we he did here at Towson. 

Agree and maybe a summer league roster invite!

3 hours ago, mat1992 said:

But other than that…..

15 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

He was a solid mid major who did a lot of things well. Defending was not one. He will make a great overseas player and will make good money doing sp

That is a fair assessment. I feel like he is similar to a lot of modern players in that he is fairly solid at one-and-one defense and defensive instincts when it comes to gambling to get steals (this was his main strength, and we will likely miss some of these momentum changing plays next year). I think he really struggled at team defense principles and often was late or at times non-existent at rotating out to guard perimeter players. This was not ideal for our defense when it was heavily predicated on switching. 

Well, looks like my concerns (hopes) that Holy Cross would take Pat off our hands have been put to rest (dashed) with the hiring of Dave Paulsen.  Guess it really is full steam ahead with Skerry in 2023.

Go Tigers!

8 hours ago, mat1992 said:

1) That video is awesome

2) To me this matters. And I know we all talk about wins/losses but this means something and it’s great for the university to have such a positive ambassador. 

• Like 1

He is a great guy. Helped me pass my business cornerstone class. Showed up on time and got me an A. Tried to get Rob and he kind of gave me the cold shoulder.