• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB Thread 2022-23

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Prophette much?  Don’t think any freshman will have an impact on our team until pat is gone 

Well, it’s true no freshman under Skerry has averaged more than 9ppg, but it’s not fair to this kid to compare him to Prophete. Let’s at least wait until he steps foot on campus before we write him off 😆

I remember when Prophete signed, after avg like 30ppg in HS In Florida. I thought Skerry finally landed a volume scoring guard. Remind me again how that worked out 🤔

18 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Well, it’s true no freshman under Skerry has averaged more than 9ppg, but it’s not fair to this kid to compare him to Prophete. Let’s at least wait until he steps foot on campus before we write him off 😆

I remember when Prophete signed, after avg like 30ppg in HS In Florida. I thought Skerry finally landed a volume scoring guard. Remind me again how that worked out 🤔

Lol. Speaking of Columbus scorers. Hofstra and Delaware do.  Pretty good game cbssn. Teams that’s have guys, shocking concept!

11 hours ago, Blounge said:

Wow imagine if we sold out SECU and whooped a team by 28 in front of 5,000+ fans. Dr. E make it happen!

Can’t do it. Pro sports town (lol). Winter break.  Ravens are on. Too cold. Arena is too far. No name opponent. Etc. name your excuse 

21 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Can’t do it. Pro sports town (lol). Winter break.  Ravens are on. Too cold. Arena is too far. No name opponent. Etc. name your excuse 

SAFE gestapo yelling in the faces of students trying to enjoy themselves 

catching-up on some light 2022 reading before the calendar turns; jeez the negative nancys have been busy bees !      Tigers start the year 5-0; and its basically a buncha " big deal....who cares....NCAA or bust...wake me when the CAA tournament starts" comments (#miserables)     then tigers drop a few in a row and its "sky is falling, we stink, CH isn't that good (laughable/ignorant) , NT isn't that good (really?/smh) and such ........ while i dont agree with either (they all do matter...and they sky isn't falling)  .....id like to at least see the haters be consistent.    pretty-plse?  

so for "only the CAA tournament matters / NCAA or bust guys......happy new year - enjoy the NBA/NFL - and i look frwd to your comments in March !!!

for the rest (some who might actually like a team that consistently wins more (quite a few more) than they lose) .....giddy-up for tomorrow.  HUGE/ EXCITING league opener v a stacked opponent.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am kind of in between the feeling of excitement for conference play and negativity for the way the last couple of weeks have unfolded. I am excited for conference play and this team is still good enough to do well in the CAA and get a solid seed in the conference tournament. However, since the last 8-10 minutes of the Navy game this team has been on a really negative spiral. A lot of mistakes, frustration, negative body language and very sloppy play in these last three games.

I attended both the Northern Iowa and Bryant games in-person and what stuck out to me just a complete lack of cohesion right now. These guys are all trying to some degree, but they are frustrated and right now they just look like a bunch of individuals who are trying to get through their own stuff rather than a cohesive team. This is disheartening (I am sure especially them) with all of the experience that was coming back, but every season has its own journey. I think the biggest challenge for everyone involved is to get back to the positive mindset they brought into the season, start executing and cut down on all of the dumb plays that are coming when they are pressing too hard. 

From a player standpoint, we all talk about the lack of point guard play in this program. While Terry Nolan Jr. was not always a true point guard, it felt like the ball moved around and we made a lot of extra passes when things were going well last year. Right now, it feels like we are stuck in the quick decision-making process of not making the extra pass on one possession and then making one-too many passes on the next possession and this is creating a lot of mistakes. Cam was particularly guilty of this against Bryant. He had a bad game overall, but was actually solid during some parts of the game. He just seemed to make the wrong decision when it came to passing and shooting on 6-7 different occasions. He had six steals in that game, but also missed six free throws (2-8). If he makes 3-4 different decisions we probably have a chance to beat Bryant, who frankly didn't play any better than we did. 

I think the most frustrating part of all of this is in the last three games none of our opponents have played at a very high level and we have just let them rip the game away from us in key stretches. That was not the personality of this team last year, and it has been disturbing trend against what has not been a very high quality of opponents. 

There were three very small positives from the Bryant game. Charles Thompson who punished Bryant, who wasn't physical enough to play with him. His offensive game is still limited, but the dude fights on every possession and gives everything he has despite a fairly limited offensive game. I also thought Nygal Russell was fairly solid in that game. On the freshman conversation, this may be misguided but it feels like Christian May could be given a little more rope. He isn't a high-level difference maker but he does feel like a player who could make a a decent jump in this season if he is allowed to make some mistakes.

The other thing we can all keep hoping for is the return of Jason Gibson and Chase Paar (we could have used him against some of the bodies Northern Iowa was throwing at us when they were +14 in the paint). Both are role players, but they do make this team deeper. As has been said, we don't really have a stud difference maker on this team. However, I do feel like it can be a deep roster of productive players when healthy. 

After watching this team play Navy, Northern Iowa and Bryant, the most frustrating thing is it seemed on the surface that nothing really changed in how they played or what they did in the three losses. Conference play is a new season, and hopefully they break out of this negative spiral. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TTiger2024 said:

catching-up on some light 2022 reading before the calendar turns; jeez the negative nancys have been busy bees !      Tigers start the year 5-0; and its basically a buncha " big deal....who cares....NCAA or bust...wake me when the CAA tournament starts" comments (#miserables)     then tigers drop a few in a row and its "sky is falling, we stink, CH isn't that good (laughable/ignorant) , NT isn't that good (really?/smh) and such ........ while i dont agree with either (they all do matter...and they sky isn't falling)  .....id like to at least see the haters be consistent.    pretty-plse?  

so for "only the CAA tournament matters / NCAA or bust guys......happy new year - enjoy the NBA/NFL - and i look frwd to your comments in March !!!

for the rest (some who might actually like a team that consistently wins more (quite a few more) than they lose) .....giddy-up for tomorrow.  HUGE/ EXCITING league opener v a stacked opponent.  

5 of 8 and 4 straight is more than just a few.  62 points per game over the last three isn’t good.  
the two players you mentioned above have regressed this year. 13 games is a pretty decent sample size.  can they turn it around?  Sure. But there hasn’t been one real complete game this year so that is going to be more of the norm this year. 

Tomorrow was a big game until the last 3 weeks but should be a good barometer. Charleston hasn’t played a road game outside of the Carolina’s all year. So we shall see 

19 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I am kind of in between the feeling of excitement for conference play and negativity for the way the last couple of weeks have unfolded. I am excited for conference play and this team is still good enough to do well in the CAA and get a solid seed in the conference tournament. However, since the last 8-10 minutes of the Navy game this team has been on a really negative spiral. A lot of mistakes, frustration, negative body language and very sloppy play in these last three games.

I attended both the Northern Iowa and Bryant games in-person and what stuck out to me just a complete lack of cohesion right now. These guys are all trying to some degree, but they are frustrated and right now they just look like a bunch of individuals who are trying to get through their own stuff rather than a cohesive team. This is disheartening (I am sure especially them) with all of the experience that was coming back, but every season has its own journey. I think the biggest challenge for everyone involved is to get back to the positive mindset they brought into the season, start executing and cut down on all of the dumb plays that are coming when they are pressing too hard. 

From a player standpoint, we all talk about the lack of point guard play in this program. While Terry Nolan Jr. was not always a true point guard, it felt like the ball moved around and we made a lot of extra passes when things were going well last year. Right now, it feels like we are stuck in the quick decision-making process of not making the extra pass on one possession and then making one-too many passes on the next possession and this is creating a lot of mistakes. Cam was particularly guilty of this against Bryant. He had a bad game overall, but was actually solid during some parts of the game. He just seemed to make the wrong decision when it came to passing and shooting on 6-7 different occasions. He had six steals in that game, but also missed six free throws (2-8). If he makes 3-4 different decisions we probably have a chance to beat Bryant, who frankly didn't play any better than we did. 

I think the most frustrating part of all of this is in the last three games none of our opponents have played at a very high level and we have just let them rip the game away from us in key stretches. That was not the personality of this team last year, and it has been disturbing trend against what has not been a very high quality of opponents. 

There were three very small positives from the Bryant game. Charles Thompson who punished Bryant, who wasn't physical enough to play with him. His offensive game is still limited, but the dude fights on every possession and gives everything he has despite a fairly limited offensive game. I also thought Nygal Russell was fairly solid in that game. On the freshman conversation, this may be misguided but it feels like Christian May could be given a little more rope. He isn't a high-level difference maker but he does feel like a player who could make a a decent jump in this season if he is allowed to make some mistakes.

The other thing we can all keep hoping for is the return of Jason Gibson and Chase Paar (we could have used him against some of the bodies Northern Iowa was throwing at us when they were +14 in the paint). Both are role players, but they do make this team deeper. As has been said, we don't really have a stud difference maker on this team. However, I do feel like it can be a deep roster of productive players when healthy. 

After watching this team play Navy, Northern Iowa and Bryant, the most frustrating thing is it seemed on the surface that nothing really changed in how they played or what they did in the three losses. Conference play is a new season, and hopefully they break out of this negative spiral. 

Exactly.  The way we played last year isn’t the way we are this year. With a lot of key players back it’s frustrating to see. The offense outside of Clemson and coppin (who doesn’t defend) has been anemic.