• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

A look at the four newest assistant coaches

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/12/19/shinnick-adds-four-assistant-coaches-to-football-staff.aspx

I wouldn't say I was overwhelmed by anything so far, but Coach Pete deserves the chance to prove himself and get talented players. However, if he doesn't hire at least one Baltimore coach and one from the DMV or one with both ties, I'll be extremely disappointed. I assume the CB,  RB or WR coach will be from PG, Howard, AA, Balto and/or MOCO. 

Brian Sheppard, OC/QB coach

Last was a coach at Stetson (Fla.), where they threw for 295.9 yards per game to lead the Pioneer League. He was also at Minnesota, but what I like most was that he was OC at Indiana State and guided them to the FCS playoffs in 2014. There he ran a NO-HUDDLE, UP-TEMPO, SPREAD-BASED offense. Many other stops but has a recruiting base in Maryland, PA, northern Ohio, Texas and Louisiana when he was at West Virginia Wesleyan, Recruited southern California when he was at UCLA. Oklahoma, Kansas and Arizona while he was at New Mexico State. Recruited eastern North Carolina and Virginia beach while at VMI. Needs a QB of course, but his QBs set an FCS record by throwing 368 straight passes without a pick. I do like the potential of throwing the ball all over the field and playing up-tempo. 

Darian Dulin-DC/DB

Ah yes, the toughest job of them all. Coaching defense at Towson. He was a three-year DC at West Florida. Before that spent time in Abilene Christina, Coffeyville C.C., Tarleton State, Butler C.C., Sam Houston State, and Kansas Wesleyan. He as a Master's from Tarleton State in 2001. No wonder one of the first offers today was from a DL from Tarleton State.

Alex Krutsch, ST coordinator/DL

The first of the coaches coming with Pete Shinnock to Maryland, Krutch was a third-team all-conference player at Northern Illinois in 2009. Was the DL coach a UWF helping them finish top two in sacks per game in the GSC (Gulf South). A former strength coach who was at UNC Pembroke with Pinnock. 

Britton Myers, Linebacker coach

The second of former West Florida coaches to move up to Maryland. He was the LB coach and special teams coach at UWR. Was DB and DB a Lane Tech in Chicago and then spent time at Knox College as Co-DC and DB coach before moving back to WFla where had All-American honorees at punter, kicker and returner in two years.

On 12/19/2022 at 10:55 PM, mat1992 said:

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/12/19/shinnick-adds-four-assistant-coaches-to-football-staff.aspx

I wouldn't say I was overwhelmed by anything so far, but Coach Pete deserves the chance to prove himself and get talented players. However, if he doesn't hire at least one Baltimore coach and one from the DMV or one with both ties, I'll be extremely disappointed. I assume the CB,  RB or WR coach will be from PG, Howard, AA, Balto and/or MOCO. 

Brian Sheppard, OC/QB coach

Last was a coach at Stetson (Fla.), where they threw for 295.9 yards per game to lead the Pioneer League. He was also at Minnesota, but what I like most was that he was OC at Indiana State and guided them to the FCS playoffs in 2014. There he ran a NO-HUDDLE, UP-TEMPO, SPREAD-BASED offense. Many other stops but has a recruiting base in Maryland, PA, northern Ohio, Texas and Louisiana when he was at West Virginia Wesleyan, Recruited southern California when he was at UCLA. Oklahoma, Kansas and Arizona while he was at New Mexico State. Recruited eastern North Carolina and Virginia beach while at VMI. Needs a QB of course, but his QBs set an FCS record by throwing 368 straight passes without a pick. I do like the potential of throwing the ball all over the field and playing up-tempo. 

Darian Dulin-DC/DB

Ah yes, the toughest job of them all. Coaching defense at Towson. He was a three-year DC at West Florida. Before that spent time in Abilene Christina, Coffeyville C.C., Tarleton State, Butler C.C., Sam Houston State, and Kansas Wesleyan. He as a Master's from Tarleton State in 2001. No wonder one of the first offers today was from a DL from Tarleton State.

Alex Krutsch, ST coordinator/DL

The first of the coaches coming with Pete Shinnock to Maryland, Krutch was a third-team all-conference player at Northern Illinois in 2009. Was the DL coach a UWF helping them finish top two in sacks per game in the GSC (Gulf South). A former strength coach who was at UNC Pembroke with Pinnock. 

Britton Myers, Linebacker coach

The second of former West Florida coaches to move up to Maryland. He was the LB coach and special teams coach at UWR. Was DB and DB a Lane Tech in Chicago and then spent time at Knox College as Co-DC and DB coach before moving back to WFla where had All-American honorees at punter, kicker and returner in two years.

I have no problem at all with his first four hires.  He's new and needs guys he that he trusts and who are familiar with his system, style & processes to make sure they can hit the ground running in establishing a new culture at Towson.  I agree that we need some local flavor on the staff in some capacity.  

I have absolutely no idea what to expect from the December or February signing periods.  Guessing the bigger impact will come from portal newcomers.

• Like 1