• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TigerFan54

Rob was interviewed today on 105.7

These were his first public statements, to my knowledge. He was fairly gracious. Asked if he was surprised to be let go, he said, "No, not really. ... Tumblers fall into place when a new AD is hired. ... It's the same with new presidents, they want to leave their stamp."

He allowed that "we haven't been to the playoffs in a few years" but said "my tenure proved that the things you invest in reflect the success you have."

Asked to name his best memory of his years at the helm, he paused for a long time before answering, "Everything that happens off the field" -- meaning the impact he hopefully had on young men's lives.

The interviewer -- Drew Forrester, who admitted to being a friend of Rob's -- asked what happens next. "Gotta keep working. We'll see where the next job is. Everyone thinks we all make Saban money, but I've got one more [kid] to put through college."

He never named Pete Shinnick, but did say, "I couldn't root any harder for this new staff and these kids."

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

These were his first public statements, to my knowledge. He was fairly gracious. Asked if he was surprised to be let go, he said, "No, not really. ... Tumblers fall into place when a new AD is hired. ... It's the same with new presidents, they want to leave their stamp."

He allowed that "we haven't been to the playoffs in a few years" but said "my tenure proved that the things you invest in reflect the success you have."

Asked to name his best memory of his years at the helm, he paused for a long time before answering, "Everything that happens off the field" -- meaning the impact he hopefully had on young men's lives.

The interviewer -- Drew Forrester, who admitted to being a friend of Rob's -- asked what happens next. "Gotta keep working. We'll see where the next job is. Everyone thinks we all make Saban money, but I've got one more [kid] to put through college."

He never named Pete Shinnick, but did say, "I couldn't root any harder for this new staff and these kids."

Good for him for taking the high road, and wish him the best in wherever his career path takes him. His contributions to the program can’t be discounted 

49 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Asked if he was surprised to be let go, he said, "No, not really. ... Tumblers fall into place when a new AD is hired. ... It's the same with new presidents, they want to leave their stamp."

Might this foretell the fate in a few years of another TU head coach, who, unlike Ambrose, has never grabbed the brass ring & is likely never going to, despite his lengthy tenure 

I thought he would come on there and be bitter with a smug attitude. Kinda threw shade at the university “you get what you pay for”

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Blounge said:

I thought he would come on there and be bitter with a smug attitude. Kinda threw shade at the university “you get what you pay for”

Yeah I read that too and was like that wasn’t meant to be a compliment. Not a good way to end the interview but oh well..

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, tualum said:

Yeah I read that too and was like that wasn’t meant to be a compliment. Not a good way to end the interview but oh well..

From all I have read, Rob was taking the high road. However, sometimes it is necessary to tell the truth. Rob has more loyalty to Towson than anyone who is posting on this board. That does not mean you can not point out the weaknesses. Facts are facts.

40 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

From all I have read, Rob was taking the high road. However, sometimes it is necessary to tell the truth. Rob has more loyalty to Towson than anyone who is posting on this board. That does not mean you can not point out the weaknesses. Facts are facts.

He was taking the high road and there’s so much he could have said but chose not to. There is some vitriol there but it’s not towards Steve or at least it doesn’t seem that way. 

7 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

That’s not pointing out weaknesses but putting blame towards someone or something other than yourself. It was done in poor taste but I digress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tualum said:

That’s not pointing out weaknesses but putting blame towards someone or something other than yourself. It was done in poor taste but I digress.

I listened to it. It wasn’t that bad and the few that heard it probably didn’t notice it. I barely paid attention to that and every coach I’ve covered thinks they deserve more or lacked resources. To be honest, it’s irrelevant now

• Like 1