• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TuTigers2012

What is wrong?

What is everyone’s opinions and views on what is wrong with the team this year?  Returning so many important pieces it’s been a frustrating season for everyone. 

Gibson being injured 

No leadership. Thought we had more leaders last year than just Nolan and gray. 

Depth 

Offense. It’s stagnant. Nolan missed a lot  of games last year and cam handled the ball

It’s a laundry list of reasons 

-turnovers 

-fouls 

-bad free throw shooting

-Can’t defend the 3

-can’t run an out of bounds set

-lack of Gibson’s point guard play

-Cam making reckless decisions. He always seems to be smiling after he gets called for a foul? Clearly not valuing the ball enough

-CT not scoring enough

-Parr/CB not being good enough to produce quality minutes while Charlie rests

-Nic Timberlake having maybe his second worst season as a tiger. 

-Hicks not being able to score

-Lost in the sauce, too many pre-season accolades had them thinking they the coolest cats in town. 

• Like 3

Glancing at our stats the past 5 losses and all I can come up with is that our “2” scorers aka Nic & Cam have shot a combined 37 for 105 since they went 15-36 against a Clemson team we almost beat on the road despite allowing them to shoot 14-23 from 3 point range  

9-29 vs Navy 

10-24 vs N Iowa 

9-29 vs Bryant 

9-23 vs Charleston 

I know many have said they expected more from CT he missed some bunnies last game of course..   20-34 in his last 4 games 

4-6 vs Navy  5-8 vs N Iowa  7-9 vs Bryant 

4-11 vs Charleston 

Conway & Russell have given us kinda what we expected points wise!  Our other newcomer hasn’t but I’m not blaming him for our lack of success although he was to be highly counted on as a scorer this season.

3 guys injured with only one of them playing right now.. ok that has been a factor but can’t be an excuse with the talent assembled.

So with all that being said our trio of projected all conference performers hasn’t performed well enough for us to be winning more plain and simple.

2022-23:

Nic 36+ minutes  Cam 36+ minutes CT 30+ minutes 

2021-22:

Nic 33+ minutes Cam 33+ minutes CT 26+ minutes 

Have the extra minutes on the floor been a detriment to our team this season..  stats say so!

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

Some, if not all, of the reasons have been mentioned already, but, in no particular order, poor usage of the transfer portal this past offseason; seeming inability to scheme up a good play at the end of a game; injury to Gibson (though I doubt a career 9ppg player would cure the myriad woes of this team. Some, but not all); returning players who add little or no value when it comes to scoring (Hicks, Coleman, Paar, Biekeu); a lack of a closer who can create on his own and can make a clutch shot with a game on the line. Individually, these flaws might be surmountable, but when combined….

I would add to this the regression to the mean of NT and CT. An objective analysis of this team requires one to concede that these 2 are decent players (some games better than decent, some games worse) who would be supporting actors, not leading men, on good teams (NT shooting 41% overall, and I believe in the low 30’s from 3). 

This brings us to the curious case of Cam Holden. For all his versatility, he’s just not a particularly good shooter (41% from the field, low 60’s from the foul line). And while he leads the team in assists, his assist to turnover ratio is almost 1:1

Mix all these ingredients, pop it in the easy bake oven, and what comes out is mediocrity-say, a middle of the pack finish in the conference, around maybe 18 wins, all punctuated by yet another flop in the conference tournament. I believe we’ve seen this movie before, and thus already know how it ends. 

Lucy-Charlie Brown-football. It’s the same thing every year when it comes to expectations during the Skerry era. 

400CED74-2B3F-4F17-A8A3-99E7F7FDE5D4.jpeg

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 4

Cam is at 66 assists to 56 turnovers right now compared to last season totals which were at 107 assists to 86 turnovers. 
He’s not a true PG at 6’5” and he’s playing 36 minutes a game. 
Of course we’d like him to make better decisions with the ball but his assist to turnover ratio playing 36 minutes a game is not that bad but of course he’s gotta have to be stellar the rest of the way for us to pick up conference wins. 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

As a well documented Skerry critic I will try my best to be objective but I believe it really boils down to three things with Skerry.

1. Poor recruiting (relative to other CAA programs). The talent just hasn’t been cutting it. 

2. Zero player development. When you’re starting with work-in-progress/mid-tier talent you had better have a the type of staff that knows how to bring players along and maximize their potential. Has anyone seen that in our guys over the years?

3. Coaching acumen. In my opinion Pat has long appeared to be a bit in over his head. I can’t help but feel like there’s a disconnect between he and his players as though they either don’t listen to him, disregard him or lack respect for his coaching. I think he’d make a fine DIII coach. 

Charleston is having the season we thought we could have. Good on them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Coaching acumen. In my opinion Pat has long appeared to be a bit in over his head. I can’t help but feel like there’s a disconnect between he and his players as though they either don’t listen to him, disregard him or lack respect for his coaching. I think he’d make a fine DIII coach. 

Not DII? 😆

You know it’s funny, but you mention whether the players don’t listen to him. This is purely anecdotal, but any of us who have gone to a TU game have noticed how Skerry spends practically the entire game barking out instructions to the players. I’ve often commented to whoever I’m at the game with whether the players can even hear him, or, if they can, how much attention they’re paying. 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Some, if not all, of the reasons have been mentioned already, but, in no particular order, poor usage of the transfer portal this past offseason; seeming inability to scheme up a good play at the end of a game; injury to Gibson (though I doubt a career 9ppg player would cure the myriad woes of this team. Some, but not all); returning players who add little or no value when it comes to scoring (Hicks, Coleman, Paar, Biekeu); a lack of a closer who can create on his own and can make a clutch shot with a game on the line. Individually, these flaws might be surmountable, but when combined….

I would add to this the regression to the mean of NT and CT. An objective analysis of this team requires one to concede that these 2 are decent players (some games better than decent, some games worse) who would be supporting actors, not leading men, on good teams (NT shooting 41% overall, and I believe in the low 30’s from 3). 

This brings us to the curious case of Cam Holden. For all his versatility, he’s just not a particularly good shooter (41% from the field, low 60’s from the foul line). And while he leads the team in assists, his assist to turnover ratio is almost 1:1

Mix all these ingredients, pop it in the easy bake oven, and what comes out is mediocrity-say, a middle of the pack finish in the conference, around maybe 18 wins, all punctuated by yet another flop in the conference tournament. I believe we’ve seen this movie before, and thus already know how it ends. 

Lucy-Charlie Brown-football. It’s the same thing every year when it comes to expectations during the Skerry era. 

400CED74-2B3F-4F17-A8A3-99E7F7FDE5D4.jpeg

I’m not sure the CT regression is fair. his stats say he is the same or slightly better than last year.  Out of the 3 he had played the best imo. 

We don’t seem to be pushing it offensively.  I know we don’t have depth but we really need cheap easy shots.  Timberlake. May and Russel can all run and should get out in transition more.  Nick has always been decent in the short corner and on corner threes.  I don’t remember seeing him ever there this year.  Yes he’s being marked more by other teams but he isn’t being doubled (lol) and the staff needs to do a better job getting him open if he really is our only scoring threat. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

As a well documented Skerry critic I will try my best to be objective but I believe it really boils down to three things with Skerry.

1. Poor recruiting (relative to other CAA programs). The talent just hasn’t been cutting it. 

2. Zero player development. When you’re starting with work-in-progress/mid-tier talent you had better have a the type of staff that knows how to bring players along and maximize their potential. Has anyone seen that in our guys over the years?

3. Coaching acumen. In my opinion Pat has long appeared to be a bit in over his head. I can’t help but feel like there’s a disconnect between he and his players as though they either don’t listen to him, disregard him or lack respect for his coaching. I think he’d make a fine DIII coach. 

Charleston is having the season we thought we could have. Good on them. 

Yes unfortunately they are and we are destined for middle of the pack. 

in his post game comments he mentioned not having practices at home.  Pat. You made the schedule.  You have 22-24 year olds with tons of experience out there. Why do you need that many practices in December?