• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB beats Drexel 64-58 without Holden

Very good effort tonight. With And now without cam this is a bad team. Need to win on d and they did they tonight. Charles dominated amari Williams again. I guess he’s a good guy against everyone else but personally don’t see it. Nick finally played good on the offensive end. Hicks and Conway both played well and have some extra scoring. Still need much more from others. Or this is a 12-13 win team. 

Gotta give credit for pulling out the W, without Holden. No one is going to mistake Drexel for C of C, but still….

Kudos to NT for scoring almost 40% of our points tonight. Pleasantly surprised to see Hicks make a couple shots and thought Sylla played well. He had an uncanny ability to get seemingly trapped down low, but still manage to not only get his shot off, but to make them. 

Not sure how successful this formula can be going forward. Only 7 points off the bench, with Coleman, Biekeu and May playing a combined 34 minutes and scoring ZERO points. We also only hit 6 three pointers.

Now, the question we’re all pondering-was this a 1-game suspension, is it a multi game suspension, or is it Deshaun Morman 2.0. If the latter, wins are going to be at a premium, regardless of how bad some teams in the conference are 

• Haha 1

Before I get to Pat's comments,  kudos to Nic for going 9-of-15 with 25 points and five boards and just one turnover. Sylla with 11 and 8 in his first start. Hicks with 7 pts, 3 steals, 3 assists and no turnovers. That was the key along with CT's play against Williams. You are not going to put up 20 and 10 against him but 10 pts, 7 rebds, 3 assists and 2 steals was solid. Defensively, it wasn't perfect and the Dragons missed a bunch of open three-pointers but was Cam partially responsible for the open looks from three or the 18 turnovers per game over the last four?

PS opening comment

"Happy for our guys. Thought we did a good job of taking care of the ball. We haven't done a good job of taking care of the ball in this stretch. We're still not there yet. We had a good stretch to get up. Situationally, we could be better. Nic played well. Charles did in the second half. Good to get Sekou going. Rad started to play. We have to get other guys going. Christian May was good on Saturday and looked like a freshman tonight. Quick turnaround. Good defensive effort. Good win against a team that was 2-0."

On Cam

"We put the statement out earlier. I'm here to talk about the guys. We love Cam. My guy. He didn't play tonight. Maybe we took care of the ball better because of it. He handles the ball 75% of the time and hasn't taken care of the ball. Hicks said he feel good. Eventually, I have to get Ryan and him on the floor. Ryan didn't turn it over either. Nygal took a shot.  Hopefully he's alright. He's turned the ball over a lot, which he hasn't done this year. I'm yelling at him to bring it out and he turns it over late. He shouldn't be trying to score over Amari Williams. Nic was sensational, but took a crazy shot late. To be down some guys and grind it out is good. I still think we could play better."

"I told our guys in the locker room that every guy who has a scholarship can help us that is on the court this year. They have to be ready. We still didn't have nine guys playing at a high level. We let one slip against Charleston and Clemson. It's driving me crazy that we're not there yet. I liked our start. Thought we played some sharp and inspiring basketball and then there were other stretches that were just maddening."

On stopping streak

"I hope we feel good that we beat a 2-0 team. Get to bed and have no distractions. Get your treatment. We have a quick turnaround. We have to find a way to win on the road on Saturday to get to 2-1. We were outcoached and outplayed against Charleston and we should have won. When you have a veteran team and you are up with 23 seconds left, we should have won. Everything else before that is apples to oranges. We have to keep getting better or what we'll really want to happen doesn't. We're working very hard. Saturdy becomes the Super Bowl for us up in Stony Brook."

On getting quick start

"We've had the most shots from 0-5 feet in the conference, but we're shooting 7th or 8th. We're just not finishing plays we're capable of finishing. If this is the absolute best version of us in January that wouldn't be good later on. People here have been supportive and we have to stay the course."

On turnovers

"After Clemson, we turned the ball over 24-27% of our possessions in four games that we lost. That's poor. Our goal is 16% which is pretty aggressive. I'll live with 18, which is where we were last year. It's hard to get shots when you're turning the ball over."

On seeing pressure

"They play a controlled tempo. I'm not worried about that. We turned it over whether we saw pressure or not before tonight. It's about guys making simple plays and follow our training. Nygal and Christian May did a nice job on (Washington). They made a couple of threes late but guarded it well."

8 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Gotta give credit for pulling out the W, without Holden. No one is going to mistake Drexel for C of C, but still….

Kudos to NT for scoring almost 40% of our points tonight. Pleasantly surprised to see Hicks make a couple shots and thought Sylla played well. He had an uncanny ability to get seemingly trapped down low, but still manage to not only get his shot off, but to make them. 

Not sure how successful this formula can be going forward. Only 7 points off the bench, with Coleman, Biekeu and May playing a combined 34 minutes and scoring ZERO points. We also only hit 6 three pointers.

Now, the question we’re all pondering-was this a 1-game suspension, is it a multi game suspension, or is it Deshaun Morman 2.0. If the latter, wins are going to be at a premium, regardless of how bad some teams in the conference are 

Remind me what happened to Morman?

• Haha 1

Sekou had his best performance at SECU this far. Was close to writing him off as a bust. Hicks stepped up and played better. Timberlake needs to shoot like that every game. Charlie looking like himself again.

drexel was bad, couldn’t buy a bucket for long stretches. Good to get a win and get that 5 game losing streak stink off us. But this is not gonna cut it against the UNCWs and CofCs of the world. 

hope Cam returns. Hope Gibson returns. Hope Parr returns. Without them it’s gonna be tough load management