• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Timberlake, Sylla lead MBB over Stony Brook 67-55

https://towsontigers.com/news/2023/1/7/mens-basketball-sylla-records-double-double-hot-shooting-leads-towson-to-67-55-win-at-stony-brook.aspx

Nicolas Timberlake scored 20 points and dished out six assists to lead Towson over Stony Brook 67-55 on Saturday night to improve to 2-1 in the CAA and 10-6 overall. The Seawolves fell to 6-10 and 2-1 in the CAA. Sekou Sylla added 14 points and 11 boards, while Charles Thompson contributed 12 points and three rebounds in 28 minutes, but struggled with foul trouble in the second half. Freshman Ryan Conway had nine points with three assists and no turnovers. Towson committed just seven turnovers, which was their second straight game of single-digit turnovers. 

Towson jumped out to a pretty fast start, but only made 2 of 9 from three-point range in the first half, but they came out red hot in the second half from long range making 7 of 11. 

PS after the game on TowsonTigers.com

"Great win for our guys. Sharper throughout the gates. Connected group. Guarded, rebounded and took care of the basketball. I thought Sylla was outstanding, esp. on offense. Conway was really good. Took care of the ball. Impressed with Nic's leadership. Efficient. Nygal (Russell) is playing hurt. May had 7 rebounds. They were 2-0. Built like us. Play at a moderate tempo."

"That's huge. As we get guys back and hopefully everyone back, we have to take care of the ball. A couple I'd like back. A connected group. They like each other. Work hard like Sekou. "

On CT's play
"I didn't like his last three fouls. He's too valuable. Can't go backward. Thought Chris B. stepped up. Charles is an all-conference player. Can't commit those."

Props to NT, who’s put the team on his shoulders offensively the last 2 games. Nice to see another good game from Sylla, including him making a couple short-midrange shots. What’s he avg in the last two games, like 13ppg? When Conway gets a clean look, he can drain the 3. Wonder what injury Russell is dealing with, per Skerry. The bench continues to be a complete nonentity in terms of scoring. 1 point tonight. 

It would appear there are enough crap teams in the league that we should be able to compile our share of W’s. Remains to be seen how we’ll fare against Hofstra, Delaware and UNCW and the like. I guess we’ll start to find out Thursday in Newark. I have no inside information, other than to speculate that if Holden isn’t back for that game, after serving what at that point would be a 1-week suspension, that he ain’t coming back 

".. As we get guys back and hopefully everyone back, we have to take care of the ball. A couple I'd like back. A connected group.. " - Coach PS

Sounds like there might be a hint of repprochement here? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

Props to NT, who’s put the team on his shoulders offensively the last 2 games. Nice to see another good game from Sylla, including him making a couple short-midrange shots. What’s he avg in the last two games, like 13ppg? When Conway gets a clean look, he can drain the 3. Wonder what injury Russell is dealing with, per Skerry. The bench continues to be a complete nonentity in terms of scoring. 1 point tonight. 

It would appear there are enough crap teams in the league that we should be able to compile our share of W’s. Remains to be seen how we’ll fare against Hofstra, Delaware and UNCW and the like. I guess we’ll start to find out Thursday in Newark. I have no inside information, other than to speculate that if Holden isn’t back for that game, after serving what at that point would be a 1-week suspension, that he ain’t coming back 

Resident hater here. Not much to complain about tonight. I still think we are closer to the bottom than top right now but it was a solid effort tonight. Charles, cam and Gibson scored 0 points in the second half tonight on the road and we won.. that is something good. Everyone is always hurt according to pat. We either recruit dues made of tissue paper or he’s just coach speaking once again. 

Conway needs more shots. On clean looks from deep he is good. His shot is alittle strange so he does need space. Bench needs to be better  0 points (sans a ft under 8 seconds) won’t cut it. We have been tough, especially myself,  on nick but he’s had two terrific games back to back. Is this last season Nick? Or an aberration? 

there are a lot of Bad teams. Unfortunately we have the toughest schedule in league play. Road games at Charleston Wilmington Delaware Drexel Hofstra all await. We also only play one new comer (the best of thr liter) twice, a&t. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Moleman1 said:

".. As we get guys back and hopefully everyone back, we have to take care of the ball. A couple I'd like back. A connected group.. " - Coach PS

Sounds like there might be a hint of repprochement here? 

Great minds think alike, as I wondered the same thing after reading that quote 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I posed this question on the other thread. Who would you rather have back? A healthy Gibby (might not be possible) or Cam? The problem we're seeing without Cam is that the bench is not very good offensively. Sylla is getting better obviously w/o Cam and if he can knock down that mid-range shot, that would be huge. I'd like to see him get a jump hook like JD but whatever he's doing, keep it up. Cam wasn't making those shots so there's that. Cam was also turning it over left and right, and we've had 15 in the last two games. Cam was also shooting 60% from the line and Timberlake is getting to the line late in games because he wants the ball (I know he can be skittish with it sometimes). 

If you get Cam from last season, great. Because Tyler Coleman is a five-minute player right now at most and when he's on the floor with Hicks, there's so little scoring. Conway has been our Gibson and I like the fact that Nic is starting to trust him. He's passing the ball extremely well because he knows defenses are focusing on him with no Cam and Gibby. Is that good enough to beat the top teams in the league? IDK but tough when the bench puts up one point. Hofstra can get away with it, but we need at least 8-10 points.

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

I posed this question on the other thread. Who would you rather have back? A healthy Gibby (might not be possible) or Cam? The problem we're seeing without Cam is that the bench is not very good offensively. Sylla is getting better obviously w/o Cam and if he can knock down that mid-range shot, that would be huge. I'd like to see him get a jump hook like JD but whatever he's doing, keep it up. Cam wasn't making those shots so there's that. Cam was also turning it over left and right, and we've had 15 in the last two games. Cam was also shooting 60% from the line and Timberlake is getting to the line late in games because he wants the ball (I know he can be skittish with it sometimes). 

If you get Cam from last season, great. Because Tyler Coleman is a five-minute player right now at most and when he's on the floor with Hicks, there's so little scoring. Conway has been our Gibson and I like the fact that Nic is starting to trust him. He's passing the ball extremely well because he knows defenses are focusing on him with no Cam and Gibby. Is that good enough to beat the top teams in the league? IDK but tough when the bench puts up one point. Hofstra can get away with it, but we need at least 8-10 points.

Assuming 55 comes back, we can only hope it’s the 2021 version, not the 2022 version. His 15ppg & rebounding & assists (with a reduction in turnovers) would certainly help, given the utter lack of scoring production from the bench. I was hopeful May would step things up, but his offensive game just isn’t there, at least not yet. 

7 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Charles, cam and Gibson scored 0 points in the second half tonight on the road 

It would have been exceedingly difficult for either Cam or Gibson to have scored tonight 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Assuming 55 comes back, we can only hope it’s the 2021 version, not the 2022 version. His 15ppg & rebounding & assists (with a reduction in turnovers) would certainly help, given the utter lack of scoring production from the bench. I was hopeful May would step things up, but his offensive game just isn’t there, at least not yet. 

I think May needs Holden to set him up. He might be the only player who misses him in terms of production. Also his road shooting numbers are horrible compared to his home numbers in a small sample size, but he did have seven rebounds. 

Just now, TSU88 said:

It would have been exceedingly difficult for either Cam or Gibson to have scored tonight 😆

Just saying 3 of 4 guys didn’t score and we still win. Idk if that says more about us or thr opponent. But …