• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Delaware Preview

And people are PISSED it’s on FloSports so the world won’t see this one. CofC is ranked for crying out loud and that’s not worthy of a TV deal? FloSports is the worst

• Like 1

Does anyone know the ins and outs of how the conference selects/splits their 18 CAA games on CBS Sports Network? Feels like more could have been done a three or so weeks ago when this looked like big game. It also doesn't look like either website has local channels that are picking up the FloSports feed in the way NBC Sports Washington does. We talk about how bad this conference has been post VCU, George Mason, ODU days, but this is one of the bigger games I can remember in the regular season, and it does seem poor that it is not on anywhere. Would even be nice to have Towson-Delaware showcased somewhere, not that it is a high level matchup like the other one, but the two teams were kind of the gatekeepers to the NCAA Tournament bid (along with UNC-W) last year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Does anyone know the ins and outs of how the conference selects/splits their 18 CAA games on CBS Sports Network? Feels like more could have been done a three or so weeks ago when this looked like big game. It also doesn't look like either website has local channels that are picking up the FloSports feed in the way NBC Sports Washington does. We talk about how bad this conference has been post VCU, George Mason, ODU days, but this is one of the bigger games I can remember in the regular season, and it does seem poor that it is not on anywhere. Would even be nice to have Towson-Delaware showcased somewhere, not that it is a high level matchup like the other one, but the two teams were kind of the gatekeepers to the NCAA Tournament bid (along with UNC-W) last year. 

This guy claims to have all the answers

Thanks for sharing. I am loosely attached to the industry and understand the difficulties of doing this. What I don't totally understand is the CAA contract since it gets the table scraps and probably doesn't get to pick dates and times like bigger conferences do. 

One of the things that seems weird to me is that this game wouldn't have just been put on Thursday where the Drexel-Stony Brook game is tomorrow at the beginning of the year. At worst, UNC-W-College of Charleston was going to be a top four matchup, and they both as has been mentioned before have pretty good environments. Of course if you chose in the offseason, Towson-Delaware might have been attractive too. What I am getting at is all of the games are on Wednesday in the midweek except for one (Drexel-Stony Brook), and that is on TV. It feels like the league could work with its best teams to get on as many of those broadcasts as possible. 

Where I am unfamiliar with the contract is representation of other teams, days teams want to be locked into because of schedule conflicts, and other factors. I know you can't just move a game to be nationally televised the week of it when you are in a conference likes ours, but you can think pretty intentionally about where to put it when you are doing the initial schedule. However, I do realize that sounds easier than it is. 

Here is the full schedule for CBS Sports Network, and it does appear that everyone is on at least once (which is often the case in these contracts). That obviously complicates what you can do with the full schedule. The breakdown of appearances is Charleston (3), Delaware (3), Hofstra (3), Towson (3), UNC-W (3), Drexel (2), Monmouth (2), Northeastern (2), Stony Brook (2), Elon (1), Hampton (1) and William & Mary (1).

https://caasports.com/news/2022/10/11/caa-announces-18-game-mens-basketball-television-package-on-cbs-sports-network-including-caa-championship-semifinals-and-final.aspx

Simple solution.  GO TO ESPN.  If on ESPN at worst the game would be on ESPN+ a streaming service that is viable and offers a lot more extra programming than flosports ever would.  CBS Sports Network has one station so yes if a once in a blue moon game like this comes up there is nothing they can do.  If the CAA was with ESPN it would have a better chance of moving things around and getting this game on 'The U" or ESPNNEWS or like I said the last option of ESPN+.  

I am sure it would be impossible to find but I would love to see the subscriber numbers of each.  As an ESPN+ subscriber I cannot tell you how many games I "trip" into just by searching.  I guarentee you no one "trips" into anything with flo.  Those that have it watch the team they subscribe for and that's it.