• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Delaware handles MBB 72-59

I just don’t understand how we can make lay ups! Shots in the paint being chucked off the backboard. If we can clean up the close range shooting that’s an extra 10-20 points a game with how many we have missed 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ReverendRemulak said:

It's really unfortunate how this season is turning out. I, like many others and certainly the players themselves, completely bought into the hype and let my expectations run wild. There was obviously high potential for regression and underperforming after last year, but this is just so bad. It's a bummer to think that this core group of guys that had such potential are likely going to limp to the end of their careers and fizzle out. One of the biggest "what if" teams since I've been a fan. That said, I still have faith that we can right the ship, even if only for those few days in March. If I keep saying it, maybe it'll come true. 

Totally agree.. In September of this season, for the 1st time ever, I very nearly bought season tickets. From the Devon Boyd years thru PK era, I pretty much bought (home) game by game tickets despite it being more costly. But had I done so in 2022-23, I'd be holding tickets I not only couldn't sell, but that that I couldn't even GIVE them away!!!.. The first time I really recognized an individual player who was overhyped was coach Jaskulski's find, Torin Ragin in the late '90's. Despite a height of 6'-5" or 6-6, he was inserted as the starting center. His failure to live up to what had been expected wasn't so much the guy's fault, as he really tried. There have been many others..

But in '22-'23, having an entire TEAM that's fallen so far short of what was anticipated - I'm not sure there's been a failure of this magnitude in the last 33 years at least. Even at 6-0 last autumn, you could see the cracks in the wall.. I think if we stop and consider all that's unfolded, in hindsight expectations were too high. The loss of Nolan, Rizzuto and Gray had thrown the engine out of kilter; it damaged the reliability of this team. The new parts just couldn't fill the old shoes, certainly not consistently. Then Gibby went down followed by Hicks, soon followed by Cam, and so we shouldn't be surprised at the current state of affairs. From Jaskulski to Hunt to PK to PS, there's been great moments sprinkled throughout, but mostly an unforgivable consistency of failure with the MBb teams since 1997.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Moleman1 said:

Totally agree.. In September of this season, for the 1st time ever, I very nearly bought season tickets. From the Devon Boyd years thru PK era, I pretty much bought (home) game by game tickets despite it being more costly. But had I done so in 2022-23, I'd be holding tickets I not only couldn't sell, but that that I couldn't even GIVE them away!!!.. The first time I really recognized an individual player who was overhyped was coach Jaskulski's find, Torin Ragin in the late '90's. Despite a height of 6'-5" or 6-6, he was inserted as the starting center. His failure to live up to what had been expected wasn't so much the guy's fault, as he really tried. There have been many others..

But in '22-'23, having an entire TEAM that's fallen so far short of what was anticipated - I'm not sure there's been a failure of this magnitude in the last 33 years at least. Even at 6-0 last autumn, you could see the cracks in the wall.. I think if we stop and consider all that's unfolded, in hindsight expectations were too high. The loss of Nolan, Rizzuto and Gray had thrown the engine out of kilter; it damaged the reliability of this team. The new parts just couldn't fill the old shoes, certainly not consistently. Then Gibby went down followed by Hicks, soon followed by Cam, and so we shouldn't be surprised at the current state of affairs. From Jaskulski to Hunt to PK to PS, there's been great moments sprinkled throughout, but mostly an unforgivable consistency of failure with the MBb teams since 1997.. 

One thing to me that was evident is we really never found someone who could give us what Nolan Jr. did last year. He was experienced, didn't turn it over much, moved the ball around, and while he wasn't a go-to offensive option he could catch fire enough to do damage. There were some games last year where the ball moved on offense like I had never seen it move before at Towson. The shot distribution was spread out evenly, and even though we didn't have a go-to player we had a lot of very good options.

In my mind, this made Thompson and Timberlake look better than they are. They are both really good role players, but we saw in 2020 that when asked to be focal points of the offense it is a little beyond their capabilities. What was great last year is when Timberlake caught fire or Thompson took over inside, it was in addition to other good things going on. Now it feels like even when Timberlake gets hot that is it. Same thing when Thompson does well. We have no diversity in our offense, and when we play good teams we have long droughts where we miss shots, and then do dumb things because we get frustrated. It is so easy to gameplan for offense, because there is just not much we can do. 

The only positives from the last few games is that we are not just rolling over in these games like we did against Navy, Northern Iowa and Bryant. That is a small consolation, because there are certain opponents on the road where we just aren't good enough talent wise. I do think Nygal Russel has been a suitable replacement for Rizzuto (probably a better all-around player, but not as good a shooter). I will also repeat that other than the return of players who probably aren't coming back, Christian May's development is the one tangible thing that can make this team better over the next month or so. However, that jump is probably not enough for any notable improvement overall. We don't have a true scorer and Timberlake is probably the only plus shooter on the court that can come close to getting his own show. Conway is a good shooter, but he needs the team offense to get him open to be effective. 

As others have said, right now we are probably behind the pecking order of Charleston, UNC-Wilmington, Delaware and Hofstra. If Hofstra comes in and beats us on Monday, that will be a pretty definitive statement that we are a full tier below those teams. If we can win that came at least we can hold out hope of trying to piece wins together against Delaware at home and maxing out as a 4-5 seed. Of course, that is way, way, way below the expectations we all had for this team. 

• Like 2

In an age where we get so much information about a team it is puzzling that coach Skerry won’t discuss the status of Gibson’s injury and of Cam’s specific reason for being away from the team or did I miss his explanation?

Just be honest and tell us if Jason has any chance of coming back later this season and what exactly Cam did or didn’t do to miss the last 3 games.  

Cause as a fan I’m getting more angry with our coach because he’s been acting like Larry Brown since this whole semi-collapse started..  “I gotta play some other guys” “Our Seniors have to play the bulk of the minutes” 

I like Pat but he’s been all over the place past month with his comments.  

Obviously we aren’t in the locker room to know exactly what is going on daily but if you clip together his post game comments with the Spiro weekly shows etc and he’s all over the place with this team I sense.  He knew what he had coming back and who he was adding and yet we still look so thin in a transfer portal smorgasbord era. 

I know we will smack Monmouth at home to make us 3-2 at least and keep us afloat. 

That scene from Major League when Willy Mays Hayes gets picked off in the first game and the NY sports writers give Harry Doyle the blowjob gesture..   that is what it has been for us Towson State/Towson Unversity fans for 30+ years.  

I want to dance someday damn it.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

In an age where we get so much information about a team it is puzzling that coach Skerry won’t discuss the status of Gibson’s injury and of Cam’s specific reason for being away from the team or did I miss his explanation?

Just be honest and tell us if Jason has any chance of coming back later this season and what exactly Cam did or didn’t do to miss the last 3 games.  

Cause as a fan I’m getting more angry with our coach because he’s been acting like Larry Brown since this whole semi-collapse started..  “I gotta play some other guys” “Our Seniors have to play the bulk of the minutes” 

Obviously we aren’t in the locker room to know exactly what is going on daily but if you clip together his post game comments with the Spiro weekly shows etc and he’s all over the place with this team I sense.  He knew what he had coming back and who he was adding and yet we still look so thin in a transfer portal smorgasbord era. 

I know we will smack Monmouth at home to make us 3-2 at least and keep us afloat. 

That scene from Major League when Willy Mays Hayes gets picked off in the first game and the NY sports writers give Harry Doyle the blowjob gesture..   that is what it has been for us Towson State/Towson Unversity fans for 30+ years.  

If Bay Area Tiger has reached this point, then the ship has truly sunk.  BAT is the silver lining positive one on this board.  The Bob is less than 30 minutes away from my house and I had no schedule conflicts and I had no desire to go to the game.  Drexel is not too far away either and I do not anticipate heading to University City for that game either.  Changes need to be made but it sounds like the only changes that can be made would be at the assistant level since PS contract still has years on it.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Moleman1 said:

Towson athletics always has a dark cloud no matter where they go..

58 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

I say 5-95 no yes on Gibson  and 10-90 on Holden 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Just be honest and tell us if Jason has any chance of coming back later this season and what exactly Cam did or didn’t do to miss the last 3 games

Thank you. Just either simply don’t address it, or address it head on. But stop with these vague comments about possibly or might be getting guys back. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Towson athletics always has a dark cloud no matter where they go..

I say 5-95 no yes on Gibson  and 10-90 on Holden 

What about Chase Paar? Will he return? Will that have a positive impact?