• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Conway leads MBB over Monmouth 68-48

https://towsontigers.com/news/2023/1/14/mens-basketball-conways-career-night-leads-towson-to-68-48-win-against-monmouth.aspx

Not a lot to say about this one. I'll get to the quotes later and what PS says at the end, basically wraps up where we are at this point in the season. However, Charleston was down early against Elon and won by 18. Elon might be worse than Monmouth considering they have no D-1 wins this season. Not a bad crowd today (1,801). Cam returns and some of the same in terms of turnovers, but for the most part, he let the game come to him and was looking for his teammates instead of looking for his own offense. Conway was the difference offensively.

Some interesting comments

if you wanna be an all league player, this is the time of year you gotta perform like an all league player. Could this be directed at Cam, Nic, CT, everyone?

”we gotta win the towson way not one guys way” -a shot at Cam?!

Comments

Ryan Conway about career game

"In practice, coaches emphasized working on skills this past week. I'm thankful that my teammates were getting me the ball when I was hot. Overall, it was a massive win."

On transition from sitting out two years

"At first, it was hard. As time goes on and I'm getting college experience, each game is getting easier and easier for me. When I first got here, it was a big transition to here from Seton Hall because the defensive principles are different. Overall, over time it's getting easier. The biggest difference is my feel for the game and once I get that back things will be straight."

CT on Delaware

"That game was disappointing. This is a good bounce-back game and turn the page to get to Hofstra on Monday."

On getting Cam back

"It's a great feeling. We love Cam. He's a very important part of this team obviously and it's important to get him going and catch his rhythm."

On rebounding

"The goal was keeping them under 35% (FG) and win by at least 10 on the glass.

PS Opening comment

"Thought we guarded better, rebounded better and shared the ball. For long stretches, we couldn't make a shot, but I thought the ball movement was very good. We got some separation. We had Rhad and Ryan in together. Nic and Nygal had good looks, just didn't make them. We still have to clean up ball security, esp. from our older guys. They have to perform better for us to get where we hope to get."

On freshmen

"Cam came back last night for walk-through. He hasn't done anything with us for 10-11 days. His spirit was really good today but he's capable of playing better. We need him to play better. For a guy who missed 10 or 11 days, it's not easy. The one thing that's been good. Early on, I didn't play Ryan or Christian but now these guys have earned a lot of minutes and trust. This is the first time we've had 10 available guys since Penn. Hopefully we can start to have some practices with everyone. Monday will be a huge measuring stick against the best player in the league. An elite offensive team to see where we're at. To get where we want to get, we have to do it the Towson way. We have to guard and rebound and then do a better job of taking care of the ball. The ball movement has been getting there. We're going to do it the Towson way. We're not going to do it a certain player's way or this guy's way. When we've deviated a little bit that hasn't worked."

On Delaware issues

"We got taken to the woodshed up front. Christian Ray and Jyare Davis took our frontcourt and took them to the woodshed. If we give up 63% from the field in the first half, we're not going to win. I thought we fought back and then we guarded, rebounded. We had a really bad night scoring the ball at the rim. If we can guard them early... we were worried about threes and some ball screen things in the past. They didn't do any of that. They just put the ball in their hands of their two good players and they took us all night. That was not good."

On scoring at the rim

"The other night, we shot 37% from 0-5 feet. We took a lot of shots there. That's not good. Ultimately, to be a championship team, we have to be able to do that. Right now, the short term focus is how can we be consistent defensively, on the glass and take better care of the ball. We shot it well from 3 but hurt ourselves with some foolish stuff. This will be a big measuring stick on Monday."

On bench

"Coming into this year, I didn't think we'd play many guys. I told the staff (after the Delaware game), that if you told me we were going to play that game without Gibson, Paar and Holden, I didn't envision that. The byproduct of that is that some other people are getting the chance to play and they are growing. The last piece for the fans that support us, is if a guy is going to be an all-league player, this is the time of the year you have to perform like an all-league player. 

2 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Some interesting comments

if you wanna be an all league player, this is the time of year you gotta perform like an all league player. Could this be directed at Cam, Nic, CT, everyone?

”we gotta win the towson way not one guys way” -a shot at Cam?!

Great, I just spent about 20 minutes transcribing that (lol). No, I don't think it was a shot at Cam. The all-league stuff, of course, it's a shot at Cam, CT and Nic.

• Haha 1

Thank goodness for Conway. Kid can really stroke the 3. Glad Holden is back, but is it just me or have his shooting skills regressed from last year? Monmouth is beyond awful. I suspect top to even mid level level D2 teams would have their way with them. Last week NT is CAA POTW, avg 20ppg. Last 2 games (DE & today) he disappears. I guess after all these years we just have to accept that he is who he is. CT-unless it’s a dunk, he struggles mightily to finish inside. Remember that run last year when he was so dominant? Well, a W is a W, but a repeat of today’s performance this Monday will get us smoked vs Hofstra 

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

Thank goodness for Conway. Kid can really stroke the 3. Glad Holden is back, but is it just me or have his shooting skills regressed from last year? Monmouth is beyond awful. I suspect top to even mid level level D2 teams would have their way with them. Last week NT is CAA POTW, avg 20ppg. Last 2 games (DE & today) he disappears. I guess after all these years we just have to accept that he is who he is. CT-unless it’s a dunk, he struggles mightily to finish inside. Remember that run last year when he was so dominant? Well, a W is a W, but a repeat of today’s performance this Monday will get us smoked vs Hofstra 

Nick missed a 3 to start the game and I knew immediately it was an off day for him. He has to score on his first shot to have confidence it’s crazy 

14 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Nick missed a 3 to start the game and I knew immediately it was an off day for him. He has to score on his first shot to have confidence it’s crazy 

He’s consistently inconsistent 

PS calls you Matty and he obviously has read our recent comments or someone has relayed to him.  
I’ll take the win however that was an odd postgame from PS with the “Towson Way” nonsense.  He sounded Ambrose today. 
I’ll take the win as we can’t take any CAA win for granted.  
I’m irked by his comment about missing players for practices etc cause he makes it sound like this squad has been devastated by injuries and we’ve had very few.  I sound like 2012 right now but it sounded like an excuse to me.  
Credit the 1800 in attendance for supporting this team. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

PS calls you Matty and he obviously has read our recent comments or someone has relayed to him.  
I’ll take the win however that was an odd postgame from PS with the “Towson Way” nonsense.  He sounded Ambrose today. 
I’ll take the win as we can’t take any CAA win for granted.  
I’m irked by his comment about missing players for practices etc cause he makes it sound like this squad has been devastated by injuries and we’ve had very few.  I sound like 2012 right now but it sounded like an excuse to me.  
Credit the 1800 in attendance for supporting this team. 

I was the only one in the press conference and I think he knows I've been the only consistent guy at home games since he arrived over 10 years ago.

The Towson ways thing was a bit cliche' ish but he's right when it comes to defense. We aren't a good enough offensive team (like Hofstra), where we can allow teams to shoot 63% from the field in one half or shoot 36% from the three-point line all year. 

There are no bad conference wins. We won and covered by playing our C+ game. We haven't played many, if any, A games this season. That will have to come Monday and an A game for us doesn't mean we're making over 50% of our shots. But it is making 50%+ of our shots from 0-5 feet. Those are the shots we have to make.

Gibson and Paar have missed the most time. Hicks missed several games due to ankle injuries. Holden missed these three games for non-injury issues and has also missed practice for that and injury issues. But I agree that injuries aren't an excuse when you see Delaware win against us without Nelson Jr. and get crushed by Hofstra without him. I do think there is still time to get things together, but it's not on May and Conway to be the difference-makers. It's the coach, staff and four seniors including Russell to take this team to the next level. Because while some say the regular season doesn't matter, the last thing you want is to play an extra day and finish as the fifth seed. You shoot for a top-four seed. That's all that matters. Playing on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday in D.C.

• Like 2