• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB rolls over Hofstra 68-47

For some reason last year and this year Hofstra seems to bring out the best in Towson. This was a game we had to have to even consider ourselves among the top teams in the conference and as Skerry said it was probably our best performance since UMass. I feel like this was the first time all year I have seen Cam happy and bringing really good energy to the game. If he is in this state of mind, and these guys and can keep figuring out how to play with each other I do think this is can still be a highly successful conference season. I think the William & Mary win over UNC-Wilmington also gave us a glimpse that second place in the conference is up for grabs between several teams. 

I really loved how the team dug in defensively against Hofstra after falling behind 13-3. Towson gave up 13 points in the first 4:20 of the game and 34 points over the next 35:40. It was the lowest point total by Hofstra this year, beating the 48 that they were held to against St. Mary's. it was also their lowest point total since 2019 in a game. Part of it was that they were ice cold, but I also thought particularly from about the 15 to 5 minute mark in the first half Towson was flying around on offense, and it felt like whoever was on the court brought that intensity. As Skerry has said, this needs to be out identity the rest of the year. 

I have seen a lot of praise for Russell and I completely agree. He has been the steadiest (not best) player on the court all year. His effort never waves, even when his shot does. It was good to see Cam be more decisive on offense. I know he is going to make some bad decisions from time to time, but as long as he is decisive I think we can live with this. What was tough when they were struggling was he seemed to be having a crisis confidence and indecision was causing bad play. All around a great team game, and the way I want to see this team bring it on a nightly basis win or lose (easier said then done). 

Now, we have to bring that same effort on Thursday in what feels like it could be a trap game. NC A&T is third in points per game and three-point percentage in conference games. If we don't bring that same intensity on Thursday, this could easily be a lose. Very encouraged by yesterday's effort, and hoping it leads to a good winning streak. With road games against NC A&T and Elon, and home games against Northeastern and William & Mary, we should be favorites in our next four games before the rematch with Hofstra. This will be a test of whether this team has found itself and can be consistent, or if we continue on the roller coaster ride this season has been at times. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

They bust their asses all year learning two new sets of plays each week. Another minute or so doesn’t hurt in games like that

I am mostly kidding, but we probably could have started the guys at the end of the bench and gotten away with against Monmouth with how bad they were. 

17 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Now, we have to bring that same effort on Thursday in what feels like it could be a trap game

NCA&T has won 9 games so far, mostly against awful opponents. They have a win over a D2 team (Edward Waters U) who’s 3-12; a W over an NAIA team (St. Edwards) who’s 2-14; a W over a D3 team(Greensboro College) who’s 7-8, and W’s over very weak D1 teams such as TX Southern, Elon, Stony Brook and Hampton (those 4 schools are a combined 24-65). Yet, OTOH, they beat Hofstra and only lost to UNCW by 5. 

The pessimist in me sees this as a trap game. If we’re going to finish in the top four in the conference, we’ve got to handle our business Thursday & Saturday on the road and then continue to stack W’s against weaker teams (at least on paper) when we return home.

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

NCA&T has won 9 games so far, mostly against awful opponents. They have a win over a D2 team (Edward Waters U) who’s 3-12; a W over an NAIA team (St. Edwards) who’s 2-14; a W over a D3 team(Greensboro College) who’s 7-8, and W’s over very weak D1 teams such as TX Southern, Elon, Stony Brook and Hampton (those 4 schools are a combined 24-65). Yet, OTOH, they beat Hofstra and only lost to UNCW by 5. 

The pessimist in me sees this as a trap game. If we’re going to finish in the top four in the conference, we’ve got to handle our business Thursday & Saturday on the road and then continue to stack W’s against weaker teams (at least on paper) when we return home.

They have been playing well of late and have a few guys who can score. It’ll be a tough matchup. But the next 4 are very important if they have top 3rd of league aspirations 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

We did and then we laid about 5 or so eggs 

Or the TUPD/Safe gestapo gang ruined their experience. Went up to them in the parking lot to pour out their beers and give them a citation, thanks for coming out to TU athletic events! 

Yeah and getting that one big win would help

I need to see us make the tournament at least once in my life. I was born in 93 so I missed the 91 run. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Or the TUPD/Safe gestapo gang ruined their experience. Went up to them in the parking lot to pour out their beers and give them a citation, thanks for coming out to TU athletic events! 

Yeah and getting that one big win would help

I need to see us make the tournament at least once in my life. I was born in 93 so I missed the 91 run. 

I got to campus in the Fall of 1991 😕

Just wanted to add here - that reverse layup by Malik Missouri in the final minute of the Hofstra game might just be a harbinger of the future. If so, we may finally have someone capable to drive to the basket. I was impressed at his agility dodging & dribbling his way past several defenders, & skill making that tough shot. At 6-6" /200lbs, he's clearly got some size in his favor. The Tiger's bench certainly approved, seeing as how they went nuts when the ball ricocheted in for 2.