• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB holds on to beat Elon 66-62

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game/_/gameId/401469903

Nicolas Timberlake scored 24 points to lead Towson to a 66-62 win over Elon on the road on Saturday afternoon. Towson nearly blew a 14-point lead by playing a very sloppy second half where they shot just 27.3% from the field and committed 11 turnovers. They also did not make a field goal in the final 3:19, but managed to win to advance to 14-7 overall and 6-2 on the season.

The Phoenix are winless in the CAA and have no Division I wins this season, but they did cut the lead two with 1.4 seconds left before Timberlake converted two free throws to ice the game. It was a rough game for some of the freshmen as Christian May went 1-for-6 including a missed dunk, but did have five rebounds. Ryan Conway took just three shots (all threes) and had just three points with three assists and three turnovers.Cam Holden had 13 points and six boards with four assists but also had turnovers. Towson was also outrebounded by Elon 35-34, but did force 14 turnovers. Elon also shot just 5-of-21 from 3-point range (23.8%).

Pat Skerry comments after the game on TSN
"There are no easy road games. Credit to Elon. Didn't play Thursday. They were prepared and ready. They are going to get somebody. Fortunately it wasn't us. Proud of our seniors. Thought Nic and Cam made big plays.

"I need to do a better job late. We fouled too much. Situational awareness. That's on me."

"Need to get better at a lot of things. Watching tape. We grinded through here (road trip). We're back in the mix. Our 3 point shooting was timely. Nygal made a big one. Since conference play started, Nic has been fantastic. We haven't had that night yet where five or six guys have played at a high level. Want to enjoy this one and watch some tape. Get ready for an excellent NE team."

• Like 1

Very disappointing second-half effort and overall effort on the boards. That start was absolutely brutal and the misses in the paint will cost us down the line. They also got into our heads a bit, causing all sorts of problems with their press in the second half. Conway really struggled against the press. Hicks was better but he struggles to attack the zone on offense and can't shoot from long range. I thought Cam overpassed in that game. He was unselfish which was good to see, but go up if you are underneath the basket.

I won't say a win is a win in this case when you barely beat Elon, who is looking for their first D1 win. As Pat said after the game, to paraphrase, we are still waiting to see when 5 or 6 guys play big games. Well, if that happened, we'd beat Elon by 30, but seems like we're not taking those subpar guys seriously enough. On to next week against NE and W&M at home. Need to take care of business and stay with Drexel, who is somehow 6-2 as well.

We're not a 50% shooting team obviously. The only way we can crush teams is by dominating the glass (we didn't today) and defending (did ok).

Road wins are tough. Especially two in lass than 3 days. But Elon was 0-17 and one of the worst teams in d1 hoops. If they don’t pick up a dumb t and miss and hold the rim on the dunk we may still be playing. Embarrassing to say the least. 
Effort, execution, coaching, intensity etc wasn’t anywhere close to being there. not having a go to player or two hurts once again. 12 second half turnovers killed whatever good first half (last 11 minutes) we had 

Edited by TuTigers2012

Well, no doubt unsettling to have to hold on for dear life against these ragamuffins, but the goal was to go 2-0 on the road trip, so mission accomplished. We are stacking W’s, having won 4 in a row. I mean, let’s face it, it’s a battle for 2nd place in the conference and, at the moment, I think we’re in 2nd, as we’re 6-2, along with Hofstra and Drexel, both of whom we’ve beaten. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Well, no doubt unsettling to have to hold on for dear life against these ragamuffins, but the goal was to go 2-0 on the road trip, so mission accomplished. We are stacking W’s, having won 4 in a row. I mean, let’s face it, it’s a battle for 2nd place in the conference and, at the moment, I think we’re in 2nd, as we’re 6-2, along with Hofstra and Drexel, both of whom we’ve beaten. 

Rematches loom large. We have the most difficult conference schedule while Drexel has by far the easiest 

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

No doubt, there's a battle for 2nd or even 3rd. I'll take top 4 to skip that Saturday in D.C. We can't afford to lose games like this so mission accomplished. I think we all would have taken 6-2 in early January when 55 was out and then Delaware destroyed us. Have to get to 8-2 before facing Hofstra again.

4 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Rematches loom large. We have the most difficult conference schedule while Drexel has by far the easiest 

How is it we have to close the season on the road, vs UNCW & C of C? That’s brutal. We’ve really got to have a top 4 seed locked up before that road trip, or we could be in serious trouble. 

14 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

How is it we have to close the season on the road, vs UNCW & C of C? That’s brutal. We’ve really got to have a top 4 seed locked up before that road trip, or we could be in serious trouble. 

14-4 wins the 2 (sad and crazy that we are talking about that mid January). You have us uncw Hofstra Drexel a&t ne Delaware for 3 spots. 
schedule favorability looks like. Drexel. Uncw. Hofstra. A&t ne. Us.  Unbalanced schedule will yield some interesting  results especially since regular season is locked up (too bad Charles didn’t hit that first ft)

also when have we not closed it out late on the road?? Always seems like our last game is either at uncw Charleston or ne

Edited by TuTigers2012