• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Thompson leads MBB over Northeastern 72-63

BTW, nothing new on Radhir Hicks other than PS said he was "dinged up". I would assume he misses the Saturday game and after that, who knows.

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Well, we held serve tonight, and need to continue stacking W’s on Saturday vs W&M. CT really stepped up offensively in the 2nd half, which came in handy, seeing as NT & Cam shot a dreary 9-30 combined (although Cam did contribute nicely in other facets). These slow starts are vexing (Hofstra, Elon and tonight) as is almost yakking away big leads the last two games. But at this point in the season a W is a W, and we remain in 2nd place in the conference 

I think it's time to start Cam. It seems like it takes him a while to get focused coming off the bench, even if he comes off at the 18:00 mark. The slow starts are concerning. You do that against Hofstra up in Hempstead next week and you won't recover. Do that in D.C.? It's one and done or maybe you barely get by Sunday's game and it's over on Monday again.

Some of it's a tempo thing. Do we really need to be 346th in pace of play with decent athletes who can make plays in transition in May, Timberlake, Holden, Conway, (Hicks if healthy) etc.? 

• Like 2

Interesting comments from Cam “we’re kinda older than them so we let our uh veteran leadership take over” lol say it with your chest like you mean it and actually believe it. We need him, Charlie, and nick to step up as leaders. Hyped up like Dalton Bolon screaming at people!

Also cam on his role coming off the bench and why that’s been a thing “My character, I’m unselfish, I’ll do anything for this school” Actions speak louder than words. We all saw Cam trying to pad stats and not pass the ball in the first half. However, he did start making some hook shots and we needed someone to step up and score.

on a positive note, CT had the night we have been waiting for. He was imposing his will, slamming the basketball through the rim with authority. We need him to play charged up like that on offense every game. I also wish we had gotten Dougherty to come play here. He would have fit the mold of tough, physical, rebounding, skerryball teams. Him and Charlie together would be unstoppable. 

Nic started bad but was able to get it together on go on a streak. This is encouraging because we have been harping on him missing one shot and sulking for the rest of the day. Shooters need to have a short memory. Forget the misses, focus on the next one going in. 

we got some help in the conference with Drexel and Delaware losing. Need all the help we can get as well as to stack wins against teams we should beat on paper. 

Hope we catch lightning in a bottle and can put 3 great games together back to back in March but as well all know hope is not a strategy! We’re gonna need to improve a lot to beat Charleston

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blounge said:

Interesting comments from Cam “we’re kinda older than them so we let our uh veteran leadership take over” lol say it with your chest like you mean it and actually believe it. We need him, Charlie, and nick to step up as leaders. Hyped up like Dalton Bolon screaming at people!

Also cam on his role coming off the bench and why that’s been a thing “My character, I’m unselfish, I’ll do anything for this school” Actions speak louder than words. We all saw Cam trying to pad stats and not pass the ball in the first half. However, he did start making some hook shots and we needed someone to step up and score.

on a positive note, CT had the night we have been waiting for. He was imposing his will, slamming the basketball through the rim with authority. We need him to play charged up like that on offense every game. I also wish we had gotten Dougherty to come play here. He would have fit the mold of tough, physical, rebounding, skerryball teams. Him and Charlie together would be unstoppable. 

Nic started bad but was able to get it together on go on a streak. This is encouraging because we have been harping on him missing one shot and sulking for the rest of the day. Shooters need to have a short memory. Forget the misses, focus on the next one going in. 

we got some help in the conference with Drexel and Delaware losing. Need all the help we can get as well as to stack wins against teams we should beat on paper. 

Hope we catch lightning in a bottle and can put 3 great games together back to back in March but as well all know hope is not a strategy! We’re gonna need to improve a lot to beat Charleston

Nick is mystifying. He makes hard shots and clanks the easy ones.  He is automatic on the baseline 15 footer off balance fadeaway. Get him some shots early to get him going. Usually when he scores he rebounds and defends better. He was following (sort of) Stucke last night so I’ll give him a pass on the 0 rebounds until the last minute.

push the ball more when you can. And also Conway is 20-39 in caa play from deep.  He needs more looks.  

14 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Expectations suck when you don’t live up to them. Towson athletics had never performed well with a target on their backs
there’s still time left but no one can honestly thinks this team can win 3 in 3. 

I would rephrase this to say no one has confidence this team can win 3 in 3. I definitely think they can, but right now the one team that is hard to see us beating is Charleston. I am confident that we can beat any of the other teams any time and anywhere. However, we also have time find a way get to the tournament healthy (which we didn't last year, and obviously healthy excludes Jason Gibson at this point who I am just guessing won't be back) and not be wound so tightly in pressure spots (which is the one part where I think I am alignment with everyone who bashes Skerry).

Also, I have a mental block when it comes to this program and actually getting to a conference final because since I stepped foot on campus in 1993 it has not happened. This is not a Pat Skerry or a this year's team thing, it is more of a viewpoint of having seen 6-7 different years where I thought we had a chance and coming up short. 

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Nick is mystifying. He makes hard shots and clanks the easy ones.  He is automatic on the baseline 15 footer off balance fadeaway. Get him some shots early to get him going. Usually when he scores he rebounds and defends better. He was following (sort of) Stucke last night so I’ll give him a pass on the 0 rebounds until the last minute.

push the ball more when you can. And also Conway is 20-39 in caa play from deep.  He needs more looks.  

I think Nick and Ryan can't get open looks for themselves. Both of them, and our whole team, is just more dangerous when passing is flowing and we are sharing the ball. This was done at a much higher level last year, but there have been small glimpses of it this year (mostly against Hofstra and a little against Penn, I didn't see UMass so maybe it happened there too). 

• Like 2

It was a sloppy performance for the first 25 minutes, but I thought it was mature showing by the team (as Holden referenced) to grab control of the game during a 5-6 minute stretch in the second half.

I know Cam can make some bad decisions, but I do like the last two games that he has been looking for his shot more. This sounds weird, but the more he looks for his shot the more the passing lanes open up for him and I actually think his biggest strength is using his skills to set up others up. Even when he was playing poorly earlier in the year the one thing he kept going is the pretty solid two-man game that him and Charles have. I would say 80% of Charles dunks come when he is playing the two-man game off of what Cam does.

The poor starts are somewhat concerning and better teams will make us pay. That being said, that game started out like some of our Northeastern games of the past have, and they did a good job of making plays when they needed to make sure it didn't come down to the end. Even though they aren't very good I don't mind not playing in Boston this year.

We need to keep the streak going against William & Mary on Saturday because after that they stretch run will be difficult and when we find out truly what this team can do. At Drexel, at Hofstra, vs. Delaware, at Charleston and at UNC-W are all potential losses in our last eight games. I think we have to win Saturday and go a minimum of 5-3 in that stretch (which also includes Hampton, at William & Mary and a solid offense in NC A&T) to have a chance at being a top 4 seed. 

• Like 1

I was at the game, and was surprised. I realize it's winter break, but still expected more people to show. Even some of the faculty regulars were absent.. 

I love the part in the posted video where NT drives to 8' from the basket but 2-3 Huskies collapse on him; so he turns & passes to Charles who's already basket-bound - beautiful play! 

Agree w what someone said about the importance of passing the ball around more, and how well their crisp passing last season worked to get opponents off balance.. 

Also good to see Coleman's game continue progressing, helping pad the bench stats. Expecting his support role to continue increasing.