• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Holden's Triple-Double leads MBB over W&M 92-73

https://towsontigers.com/news/2023/1/28/mens-basketball-holden-records-the-second-triple-double-in-program-history-in-92-73-win-against-william-mary.aspx

After being down 8-0, that was as impressive as Towson has looked offensively all season. Issues on defense defending the 3 in the first half (9-of-12) against a very good three-point shooting team. But this was 2021 Cam. More later with some interesting comments on his triple-double. Also, nice late-arriving crowd of over 2,300.

If someone told me before the game that W&M was going to shoot 57% from 3, I would have excepted us to L, but happily that wasn’t the case. (That guy Nelson can really stroke it. I’m not sure any of his shots even hit any part of the rim).

Just a masterclass performance by Holden. He needs to use the tape from this game for Euro scouts. I was trying to think of a comp, and I decided to go old school; his performance today reminded me of Michael “Sugar” Ray Richardson. If he could only bottle it. And 2nd straight game from CT that was reminiscent of how he played offensively last season. Kudos as well to Sylla, who even knocked down a 3, and to May, who had a coming out party offensively. He’s going to be a problem for the rest of the CAA starting next season, with a little more muscle on his frame. 

Well, with C of C losing to Hofstra today, 1st place is still up for grabs, though we have a rough schedule remaining, with roads games vs Hofstra, Drexel, UNCW and C of C. 

Nice crowd today (by our standards) and not only did we win, but it was damn entertaining, as opposed to the rock fights we often see, where we score in the 60’s

Cam Holden on getting the Triple-Double

"Honestly, Sekou told me at one of the media timeouts that you are one more away. I was like, 'what are you talking about', because I can't see that far away without glasses. I'm squinting and he says you need one more. We were up by a good lead. He boxed me out for a rebound one possession and he told me to fight for it. I heard people cheering and I looked up and people were cheering. I knew I had a lot of assists, but I wasn't sure about the rebounds."

"It was a great feeling to be the second player to do it here (JB against Central Penn). I didn't think it was that hard of a task. I thank my teammates. This guy (Sylla) doesn't shoot the ball, but he made one to help me get over the hump (double digit) assists. They shot the ball well. I got in the lane. Everyone can say you did this and that, but I can't do it without them shooting the ball.  I rebound and play hard so I was it was in line for me to do it."

Sylla on aggression

"Cam since he's coming off the bench, he's instilling some confidence in me. Telling to me be aggressive. Back-to-back games (making threes) and both off of his assists."

On three-point shooting overall improving

Sylla

"Our ball movement has been getting better. At the beginning of the season, it was a little stagnant. We've been preaching in practice to move the ball and it has paid off."

Cam

"Major props to the staff. The staff has been getting after us. We won five straight, but you would have thought we lost five straight the way they attacked us. Calling out all-conference guys. Just holding guys accountable. To get over the hump, we have to do the little things right. We left trash in the locker room. You have to do the little things. Throwing stuff away in the locker room. Credit to the staff. They really turned it up in practice. We play at 12 and we're in at 7(am to practice). We don't like it but look where it got us."

On where his game is at (Cam)

"Honestly, it's about helping this team. Whether it's rebounding, guarding or making my one three I make every now and then. Anyway I can help. We have a great scorer like Nick. If I can take pressure off of him and help him score. We have a great post player like Charles. Me coming off the bench, I try to be a spark. We have slow starts and when I come in and change the pace. I try to run, even though I hate running. I try to run as fast as I can. I'm an unselfish guy off the court and on it. Trying to motivate the guys. If we want to get over the hump, we'll need 8-10 guys to get it done. Just building until we get there."

• Like 1

PS opening comments

"Our offense was very good today against a well-coached team. We moved the ball. We shared it. Any time a guy has a triple-double, you have good results. I just wish our defense was better. Good team win. Thank Steve and his staff. Great job with the environment in the building helped a lot."

On faster pace

"We're trying to play with a little more pace. When you have energy like that in the building, it gives you a boost. Sometimes it takes away from our transition defense unfortunately, but it certainly gives us a boost on offense."

On slow starts

"We've been winning. So the logical thing to do is put Cam back in the starting lineup. Philosophically, it looks like you blame one guy and it's a team sport. I don't know if I want to take two guys out of the lineup. I'd like to keep them under my thumb for a little beat. Obviously the pregame speeches are not where it needs to be."

On CT

"He had a really good week. Collier was the best rebounder in the league. They were smaller without him. That helped us. Thought Charles played with a lot of force. Just dunking the ball. Rolling hard. We need that. It would be a good time of the year for him to do that (rounding into form)."

17 assists, 6 turnovers

"If we take care of the ball, when we hit that 10 day stretch in December, we were a trainwreck with ball security. When you don't turn the ball over, it helps your transition defense. Running good offense is tied to those things. We're not quite there yet, but making some strides in that area."

On what Cam has done better

"He's not turning the ball over. He's making the easier pass. He's looking to shoot. He is unselfish. Sometimes he over passes it. When he gets close, he has to shoot it, put it on the rim and give us a chance to get offensive rebounds."

On coaching a player who got a triple-double

"It's ironic, the last guy that had it, Jerrelle Benimon, was in the building today. He got it against Central Penn, an NAIA school. We only take those game when we liked to play home games and we don't play home games anymore. To do it against a conference foe, that's hard to do. That doesn't happen very often. He's a versatile player. If those three guys play a very high level, we'll be tough to be beat. If deviate from that, we'll be like everyone else."

10 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Not a bad time to be a Towson basketball fan. WBB and MBB are both on six-game winning streaks. 

We beat the hell out of this team and yet here they are with 16 wins and beating a William & Mary team that has not always been an easy task.  
Patience is a virtue and I sure have lacked it at times but today was a big win for this specific season.  Yes I know it doesn’t matter until March but I’ll always be a Towson fan and games like this have me enjoying the rest of my weekend even more.