• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Holden's Triple-Double leads MBB over W&M 92-73

Given his success today, I suspect no one remembers that on three of the first four possessions after he came in, Cam turned it over with ill-advised passes. That's when we were down early and I wanted to scream. I guess you have to take the good (the very good today) with the bad. Cam also had a helluva scoring touch in the second half. If only he could bottle that.

• Sad 1

It seems like they’re coming together. They are starting to be each others biggest fans and supporting each other to get to that next level. Maybe this is what the 3 game suspension taught them, we’ll probably never know. But they’ve gotten better in the last month and that’s the most important thing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Given his success today, I suspect no one remembers that on three of the first four possessions after he came in, Cam turned it over with ill-advised passes. That's when we were down early and I wanted to scream. I guess you have to take the good (the very good today) with the bad. Cam also had a helluva scoring touch in the second half. If only he could bottle that.

Perhaps it’s time to re-insert Holden into the starting lineup. Either that or just just tell the scoreboard operator, the refs & the opponent that were spotting the opposition an 8 point lead to start the game. I’m not sure if Holden could reverse this chronic trend, but it might help 

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

We beat the hell out of this team and yet here they are with 16 wins and beating a William & Mary team that has not always been an easy task.  
Patience is a virtue and I sure have lacked it at times but today was a big win for this specific season.  Yes I know it doesn’t matter until March but I’ll always be a Towson fan and games like this have me enjoying the rest of my weekend even more.  

Haha the criticism was warranted. 
One of the 3-4 games I’ve missed in thr last decade. Going to watch it on dvr now but anytime we score more than 80 is like 95+ for normal teams. First triple double in school history is cool too. 
IF ONLY CHARLES MADE BOTH FTS ON NYE!!  

schedule gets Brutal now with 5 on the road and 3 against the other top teams. 

Edited by TuTigers2012

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

You’re right of course, to a point. If he makes them, we’d be in 1st place at the moment. Doesn’t necessarily mean we’d finish in 1st, given the remainder of our schedule. But even if we somehow finish 1st in the regular season, all that guarantees us is a return to the NIT. With our OOC L’s we wouldn’t be an autobid, so whether or not we finish 1st in the regular season, we’re still going to have to win the conference tournament. The key at this point is to finish no worse than 4th place 

Did Cam just do something that has never been done at Towson in Division I against another Division I team? Why are we taling about his early turnovers? We've been wondering why he hasn't played better in non-conference games and now he's starting to get it done. We can't win or even come close to winning the CAA Tournament with Cam playing the way he played in December. With him playing like 2021 Cam, we have a shot. Charles is coming on now and I think a part of that is Cam getting him the ball in PNR situations. Would be nice for NT to become more consistent but if he doesn't have his feet set, he's really struggling off the bounce and inside the arc. If Cam can score some and they continue to get strong shooting from May, Conway, and on some days Russell, NT doesn't have to score 20 points every time. I think he has to realize that he doesn't have to make tough shots. Cam has to bring it on the floor every game, limit the turnovers and rebound his ass off. Of course, he has his limitations but he's capable of putting up 15, 7 and 6 in every game. 

As for the so-called three-game suspension (it wasn't an on-court thing), maybe it did make him re-focus on making "easier" passes as PS said today and not trying to force difficult ones. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Haha the criticism was warranted. 
One of the 3-4 games I’ve missed in thr last decade. Going to watch it on dvr now but anytime we score more than 80 is like 95+ for normal teams. First triple double in school history is cool too. 

schedule gets Brutal now with 5 on the road and 3 against the other top teams. 

Oh of course but I’m happy this group has bounced back for now. 

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Perhaps it’s time to re-insert Holden into the starting lineup. Either that or just just tell the scoreboard operator, the refs & the opponent that were spotting the opposition an 8 point lead to start the game. I’m not sure if Holden could reverse this chronic trend, but it might help 

Skerry is superstitious 

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

You’re right of course, to a point. If he makes them, we’d be in 1st place at the moment. Doesn’t necessarily mean we’d finish in 1st, given the remainder of our schedule. But even if we somehow finish 1st in the regular season, all that guarantees us is a return to the NIT. With our OOC L’s we wouldn’t be an autobid, so whether or not we finish 1st in the regular season, we’re still going to have to win the conference tournament. The key at this point is to finish no worse than 4th place 

Never said that it was a given. Just that we would be in first. The Charleston media darling story wouldn’t have been.  Ifs and buts, I know. 

I tend to agree on Cam in the starting lineup. I get liking the spark of the bench and that it has been working, but having the best all-around player on your team come off the bench as a general thought process doesn't make much sense. I do see what Skerry is trying to do in terms of having a way to raise the level of player with the first subs, but I am not sure they trade-off works against really good teams. My hunch is if it works against Hofstra on Thursday, it may be here to stay. 

Out of all of the teams we have played three times or more since last year, William & Mary is the one we have shredded the most:
William & Mary 86 ppg (3 games), Charleston 76 ppg (3 games), Hofstra 74.7 ppg (3 games), Northeastern 65.8 ppg (4 games), Drexel 63.7 ppg (3 games) and Delaware 63.3. ppgs (4 games). Anecdotally it feels like some of our best offensive games of the Skerry area have come against William and Mary (of course our biggest tournament clunker came against them too). 

Hofstra's win at Charleston really opens things up in the conference. We beat Hofstra by an average of 11 ppg last year and obviously won by 21 at home earlier this year. Hopefully, the trend keeps up. We handled them in Long Island last year, but it took probably the best game of Timberlake's career. 

This team definitely deserves credit for taking care of business over the last six games. Hofstra lost to NC A&T at home and UNC-Wilmington lost to this William & Mary team so it is harder than it seems. As I look at the standings, our loss to Delaware is in the same category as UNC-Wilmington's loss to William & Mary even thought it doesn't feel that way because Delaware is a tough match up for us.

In the top four, Hofstra is now 2-1 (win at Charleston, win vs. UNC-W, loss at Towson), Charleston is 2-1 (win at Towson, win at UNC-W, loss vs. Charleston), Towson 1-1 (loss vs. Charleston, win vs. Hofstra), UNC-W 0-2 (loss vs. Charleston, loss at Hofstra). Charleston doesn't go to Hofstra this year, Hofstra doesn't get to host Charleston or travel to UNC-W again, we only play UNC-W once on the road, and UNC-W doesn't play at home against Hofstra or on the road against us. It also looks like the bottom feeders are starting to get more competitive with Elon beating Drexel and Monmouth taking down NC A&T yesterday.

Like I said earlier this week, it feels like 5-3 gets us in the top four. It really feels like if we want to grab the top seed 7-1 is what we have to do and 6-2 would maybe give us an outside shot if there are some upsets. That being said as good as we have played there are a lot of tough games left on the slate and there are a lot of different outcomes out there. Right now, it is just nice to see how this team has responded to the Delaware loss. Hopefully, we can keep it up. 

• Like 1