• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Holden's Triple-Double leads MBB over W&M 92-73

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

I tend to agree on Cam in the starting lineup. I get liking the spark of the bench and that it has been working, but having the best all-around player on your team come off the bench as a general thought process doesn't make much sense. I do see what Skerry is trying to do in terms of having a way to raise the level of player with the first subs, but I am not sure they trade-off works against really good teams. My hunch is if it works against Hofstra on Thursday, it may be here to stay. 

Out of all of the teams we have played three times or more since last year, William & Mary is the one we have shredded the most:
William & Mary 86 ppg (3 games), Charleston 76 ppg (3 games), Hofstra 74.7 ppg (3 games), Northeastern 65.8 ppg (4 games), Drexel 63.7 ppg (3 games) and Delaware 63.3. ppgs (4 games). Anecdotally it feels like some of our best offensive games of the Skerry area have come against William and Mary (of course our biggest tournament clunker came against them too). 

Hofstra's win at Charleston really opens things up in the conference. We beat Hofstra by an average of 11 ppg last year and obviously won by 21 at home earlier this year. Hopefully, the trend keeps up. We handled them in Long Island last year, but it took probably the best game of Timberlake's career. 

This team definitely deserves credit for taking care of business over the last six games. Hofstra lost to NC A&T at home and UNC-Wilmington lost to this William & Mary team so it is harder than it seems. As I look at the standings, our loss to Delaware is in the same category as UNC-Wilmington's loss to William & Mary even thought it doesn't feel that way because Delaware is a tough match up for us.

In the top four, Hofstra is now 2-1 (win at Charleston, win vs. UNC-W, loss at Towson), Charleston is 2-1 (win at Towson, win at UNC-W, loss vs. Charleston), Towson 1-1 (loss vs. Charleston, win vs. Hofstra), UNC-W 0-2 (loss vs. Charleston, loss at Hofstra). Charleston doesn't go to Hofstra this year, Hofstra doesn't get to host Charleston or travel to UNC-W again, we only play UNC-W once on the road, and UNC-W doesn't play at home against Hofstra or on the road against us. It also looks like the bottom feeders are starting to get more competitive with Elon beating Drexel and Monmouth taking down NC A&T yesterday.

Like I said earlier this week, it feels like 5-3 gets us in the top four. It really feels like if we want to grab the top seed 7-1 is what we have to do and 6-2 would maybe give us an outside shot if there are some upsets. That being said as good as we have played there are a lot of tough games left on the slate and there are a lot of different outcomes out there. Right now, it is just nice to see how this team has responded to the Delaware loss. Hopefully, we can keep it up. 

I mean cam can in 2 minutes in yesterday so the starting vs coming off bench is semantics. I get we have had some horrific starts in caa play so he should start but until something happens, he won’t. 

WM is historically an awful defensive team (albeit better recently) so our offensive numbers against them makes sense.  

Thursday will be a war and the toughest opponent since Clemson. Estrada and Thomas aren’t going 1-17 again.  That’s a guarantee.  Thursday is an elimination game for a chance for the regular season title/1 seed. Hicks and Conway injured going into this one isn’t ideal.  But if our important players are playing well they need to play 37+. We have our mini bye after and don’t play again until the next Wednesday. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Bad back per Jimmy pastos who mentioned it like 25 times yesterday. His shot has seemed off the last few games 

I was at the game, so I haven’t watched the recording yet on my DVR, but it seemed to me Conway was tentative to shoot yesterday and now I know why. We only have 1 game in the next 12 days, so hopefully that’ll benefit he and Hicks 

38 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I was at the game, so I haven’t watched the recording yet on my DVR, but it seemed to me Conway was tentative to shoot yesterday and now I know why. We only have 1 game in the next 12 days, so hopefully that’ll benefit he and Hicks 

His shot looked funky. Granted most I’ve seen were in person. Maybe it was the thought that he has a bad back the influenced what I thought I saw? But he looked more like me trying to shoot rather than a 48% shooter 

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I know it’s pretty meaningless in the scheme of things, but who do you think will win POTW (co) this week?  Charles or cam?

Estrada is a lock. I don't see them naming a co-POTW.