• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Inside the Numbers: Second half

In terms of regular-season stats in the CAA, (for some reason, there are no conference-only stats up on the CAAsports.com site).

Towson is:

5th in Scoring Offense with 69.83 points per game

3rd in Scoring Defense with 64.91 points per game allowed

T3 in Scoring Margin (+4.91)

6th in FT percentage (71.4%)

5th in FG Percentage (44%)

2nd in FG Defense (41.9%)

3rd in 3-Pt Percentage (35.7%)

5th in 3-Pt. Defense (33.9%)

2nd in Rebounding Margin (+4.91)

2nd in Assists (13.83)

2nd in Assist/Turnover Ratio (1.16)

6th in Turnover Margin (+0.35)

2nd in Off. Rebound percentage (35.8%)

5th in Def. Rebounding percentage (72.2%)

10th in 3-point FG Made per game (6.87)-Yes we should take more threes

8th in attendance at 2,031 per game. Delaware is averaging 1,942 coming off a title win. Charleston is #1 at 4,534, UNCW is 2nd at 3,905. NC A&T is 3rd at 2,573

Individual Stats

Scoring

6)Timberlake 15.9 ppg

11)Hoden, 14.2 ppg

Rebounding

5)Thompson, 7.5 

9)Holden, 6.5

FG% (Minimum of 5 FGM/G average)

1)Thompson, 57.1%

9)Holden, 42.7%

10)Timberlake, 42.3%

Assists 

1)Holden, 4.7

FT% (Min. 2.5 FTM/G average)

2)Timberlake, 82.5%

10)Thompson, 67%

14)Holden, 62.3%

Steaks

4)Holden, 1.75 per game

3pt-FG Made

8)Timberlake 2.22

Blocked shots 

T2)Thompson, 1.52

Off Rebounds

1)Thompson, 3.13

A couple of interesting comparisons from overall to conference play for individuals

*Timberlake is shooting 42.3% from the floor overall and 36.4% from long range. In conference play, he's shooting 44.4% from the field and 44.3% from long range. 

*Holden is shooting 42.7% from the field overall with 14.2ppg, 6.5rpg and 4.7apg overall. In conference play, he averages 12.3 points (just 7 games, 1 start) on 46.5% shooting, 71% FT, 6.7rpg, 4.9apg, 22 turnovers and 34 assists.

*Thompson is averaging 12.5 points and 7.5 rebounds in conference, while shooting 52% from the ffield.

*Nygal Russell is averaging 8.8ppg in conference with 4.9 rebounds on 36.5% shooting (34.8% 3pt). Overall, he's averaging 8.2ppg and 4.7rpg on 39.3% shooting (33.7% 3pt).

*Ryan Conway is shooting 6.5 points on 39.3% shooting (45.8% 3pt) overall. He's shooting 50% from 3pt range (21-42) and 41.7% overall in conference play.

*Sekou Sylla is averaging 7.8 points and 4.7 rebounds in conference play on 50% shooting (2-3 3pt).  Overall, he's averaging 6.4 points on 45.7% shooting (3-5 3pt).

*Christian May is averaging 3.6 points and 2.6 rebounds on 40.7% shooting and 35.3% from long range. In conference play, he's averaging 5.3 points and 3.0 rebounds on 44.7% shooting and 40% (10-25) from long range and is 9 for 9 from the line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting more points out of Sylla and May has been huge. Glad to see them being coached up, they were rough around the edges at the start of the year but now they are playing with confidence. Conway as well, hope he heals quickly and gets back to splashing 3’s at a higher clip than almost anyone in the country. Can CB or Tyler Coleman please make a dramatic improvement and give us a few extra buckets? Thanks as always for the stats and coverage, Mat.

towson basketball can actually score and is fun to watch. Expectations aside, that Statement alone is a positive. Nobody wants to see slow rock right skerryball we suffered through for the better part of a decade. We want threes, dunks, and ball movement! 

• Like 3

Love watching May Ball. Sylla really coming through as well even tho he tends to miss around the rim lol. Nygil also dope to see. 

2 hours ago, Blounge said:

Getting more points out of Sylla and May has been huge. Glad to see them being coached up, they were rough around the edges at the start of the year but now they are playing with confidence. Conway as well, hope he heals quickly and gets back to splashing 3’s at a higher clip than almost anyone in the country. Can CB or Tyler Coleman please make a dramatic improvement and give us a few extra buckets? Thanks as always for the stats and coverage, Mat.

towson basketball can actually score and is fun to watch. Expectations aside, that Statement alone is a positive. Nobody wants to see slow rock right skerryball we suffered through for the better part of a decade. We want threes, dunks, and ball movement! 

Can we score?  We are middle of The road in the caa which is not a high power offensive league. 

I’d take decent defense, a few rebounds and eat a few (3-4 minutes per half) from Coleman and beku 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Can we score?  We are middle of The road in the caa which is not a high power offensive league. 

I’d take decent defense, a few rebounds and eat a few (3-4 minutes per half) from Coleman and beku 

I guess in a perfect world I would like to see us be whatever the game calls for. The trends seem to point to the fact that we get in knock-down-drag it out slugfest with Delaware (not as much), Drexel and Northeastern the last couple of years, while finding it easier to score against Hofstra and William & Mary. Hofstra and Charleston feel like teams that will beat us if we don't bring a decent offensive level to the table, however against Hofstra this year they shot poorly and we had one of our best defensive intensity stretches of the year. We have generally found it easier to score against lower quality teams.

Against certain teams it is going to be a slog to score, and we need to be ready to try to be efficient those games. 

I think Skerry is capable of getting us to an NCAA Tournament, but two things that really scare me when it comes to one of tournament teams is we are 342nd in KenPom in adjust tempo and these bad starts. My common criticism is Skerry has these team wound so tight sometimes it affects the mentality when they are in elimination games.

Being 342nd in possession per 40 minutes is not a good recipe to overcome slow starts. We have done it well in regular-season games where the pressure is not as high, but it is a tough formula to overcome when conference tournament actions start. I do trust the last couple of years Skerry has turned over every rock possible trying to fix our tournament struggles, but stylistically we do not set up well for those scenarios.

Although, I will say that Viriginia was 351 in both 2017-18 and 2018-19 an they lost to UMBC in round one in 2018 and won it all in 2019. I know we are not at that level, but it really speaks to showing up loose and ready to play, and getting some luck along with that. I still would prefer more possessions if possible. 

play defense and rebound; you are (almost) in every game.  (instead of da old "win by da 3, die by da 3").   love the consistency & the number of "W"s this program has stacked in my time here because of that philosophy, and feel like we got a good shot 2put 3 great days together in early March with now better ball movement and SHOOTING.  CT, NT, Cam, C'Way, Russ, May, Hicks, SS and co......This is an easy team to like!

HUGE one at Hofstra, gotta slow Estrada again (i'll take just unlucky shooting on his end)   #incamwetrust   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

I guess in a perfect world I would like to see us be whatever the game calls for. The trends seem to point to the fact that we get in knock-down-drag it out slugfest with Delaware (not as much), Drexel and Northeastern the last couple of years, while finding it easier to score against Hofstra and William & Mary. Hofstra and Charleston feel like teams that will beat us if we don't bring a decent offensive level to the table, however against Hofstra this year they shot poorly and we had one of our best defensive intensity stretches of the year. We have generally found it easier to score against lower quality teams.

Against certain teams it is going to be a slog to score, and we need to be ready to try to be efficient those games. 

I think Skerry is capable of getting us to an NCAA Tournament, but two things that really scare me when it comes to one of tournament teams is we are 342nd in KenPom in adjust tempo and these bad starts. My common criticism is Skerry has these team wound so tight sometimes it affects the mentality when they are in elimination games.

Being 342nd in possession per 40 minutes is not a good recipe to overcome slow starts. We have done it well in regular-season games where the pressure is not as high, but it is a tough formula to overcome when conference tournament actions start. I do trust the last couple of years Skerry has turned over every rock possible trying to fix our tournament struggles, but stylistically we do not set up well for those scenarios.

Although, I will say that Viriginia was 351 in both 2017-18 and 2018-19 a they lost to UMBC in round one in 2018 and won it all in 2019. I know we are not at that level, but it really speaks to showing up loose and ready to play, and getting some luck along with that. I still would prefer more possessions if possible. 

Strongly disagree. Zero confidence in pat getting us to the dance. He has never won multiple games in the tournament and only has 3 wins there ever. 3 in 3 days or 4 in 4 is a lot to happen. 
The pace is a blessing too. Because on the positive side, the other team gets less possessions too. This year that has inflated our defensive numbers. We are solid defensively but 64 points allowed on a low possession game is just that.  
It’s not like these guys have the weight of thr past on their shoulders in march like say wm. Where they have been so close but never got the job done.  They are wound tight because they don’t/haven’t run great offense and when the pressure is on, we don’t have that go to player. 

3 hours ago, TTiger2024 said:

play defense and rebound; you are (almost) in every game.  (instead of da old "win by da 3, die by da 3").   love the consistency & the number of "W"s this program has stacked in my time here because of that philosophy, and feel like we got a good shot 2put 3 great days together in early March with now better ball movement and SHOOTING.  CT, NT, Cam, C'Way, Russ, May, Hicks, SS and co......This is an easy team to like!

HUGE one at Hofstra, gotta slow Estrada again (i'll take just unlucky shooting on his end)   #incamwetrust   

Unfortunately you need to score to win too. 
hostra is huge!

5 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Unfortunately you need to score to win too. 
hostra is huge!

If we can pull off a W Thursday, I will at least begin sipping the Kool-Aid. After all, Hofstra will be looking for revenge and should have a great deal of confidence after beating C of C. And, as been mentioned previously, Estrada & Thomas are going to shoot better than they did at SECU. Coming out with a W Thursday would be quite a coup. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Strongly disagree. Zero confidence in pat getting us to the dance. He has never won multiple games in the tournament and only has 3 wins there ever. 3 in 3 days or 4 in 4 is a lot to happen. 
The pace is a blessing too. Because on the positive side, the other team gets less possessions too. This year that has inflated our defensive numbers. We are solid defensively but 64 points allowed on a low possession game is just that.  
It’s not like these guys have the weight of thr past on their shoulders in march like say wm. Where they have been so close but never got the job done.  They are wound tight because they don’t/haven’t run great offense and when the pressure is on, we don’t have that go to player. 

We all know the numbers on Skerry in the tournament. History is not on his side, but it not out of the realm of possibility that a team that is better than probably all but two teams can make a run. 

I disagree on the reasons for the team being tight and the pace. I just think the intensity this team plays with throughout the year is a plus and often gets them to succeed is harder to dial up in the postseason. Their style doesn't really change and teams know what they are getting, and is hard to dial it up any higher. I completely understand that this theory is completely anecdotal, but I am going off Delaware last year and William & Mary back in 2014 where those teams took their play up another level and we just didn't meet them there (last year was partially because of injuries).

As far as the possessions I agree about it being a positive throughout the year, but I think it puts more pressure on you in the postseason. Even when things are going well this can be an error-prone team that can miss free throws. All of those thinks get magnified in knockout games is all I am saying. Of course, like I said with Virginia you can make the stats tell any story you want so I am really just saying what I see. Doesn't mean it is absolutely right or wrong.  

Two trends I would love to keep up is averaging 9.3 turnovers per game and 10.7 offensive boards in our last nine games. When we take care of the ball and get extra chances it takes some of the pressure off of needing to have good shooting nights. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

We all know the numbers on Skerry in the tournament. History is not on his side, but it not out of the realm of possibility that a team that is better than probably all but two teams can make a run. 

I disagree on the reasons for the team being tight and the pace. I just think the intensity this team plays with throughout the year is a plus and often gets them to succeed is harder to dial up in the postseason. Their style doesn't really change and teams know what they are getting, and is hard to dial it up any higher. I completely understand that this theory is completely anecdotal, but I am going off Delaware last year and William & Mary back in 2014 where those teams took their play up another level and we just didn't meet them there (last year was partially because of injuries).

As far as the possessions I agree about it being a positive throughout the year, but I think it puts more pressure on you in the postseason. Even when things are going well this can be an error-prone team that can miss free throws. All of those thinks get magnified in knockout games is all I am saying. Of course, like I said with Virginia you can make the stats tell any story you want so I am really just saying what I see. Doesn't mean it is absolutely right or wrong.  

Two trends I would love to keep up is averaging 9.3 turnovers per game and 10.7 offensive boards in our last nine games. When we take care of the ball and get extra chances it takes some of the pressure off of needing to have good shooting nights. 

We can and should run a bit more. Guards get the rebounds and hold it and go slow. There’s a few times it’s 4-4/4-3 and our ball handler stops around mid court and looks back at the bench 

• Like 1