• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Estrada and Hofstra 76-72

8 minutes ago, El Tigre Oro said:

Everyone keeps saying top 4 seed. With 13 teams aren’t there only Bye’s for Top 3 seeds in CAA tourney?

13 plays 12 on Friday 

Four teams play on Saturday 5/12 or 13, 6/11, 7/10 and 8/9

Sunday the top four seeds play the winners

That was a fun listen today 🏀📻

Supporting cast needs to make 3’s and more importantly the front ends of 1 and 1’s.  Cam needs to shoot at least 100 free throws a day to get out of his funk.  
CT, Nic & Cam are gonna need to have their best games in the same game for us to have a shot in DC.  Despite the loss I believe this game really helped our progress tonight.  
Could have used Chase tonight with the all the foul trouble.  
That Estrada will be in the G League next season and he’s just such a difference maker.  
Enjoyed the game chat..  heads up Towson faithful.  
It is time for us all to make that deal with the devil so we can finally 🕺 again. 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger
  • Like 1

We all knew that Estrada wasn't going to miss all of his 3s and shoot 29% overall again. Dude is a baller. Such a shame to waste a great shooting performance and career high in points from Timber. If literally one other guy steps up, we win that game. CT cannot disappear like that in big games. I get that he got in foul trouble, but still. More fouls than points. 

The final two games of the season are shaping up to be massive. The next handful of games are absolutely winnable and beyond needing to get wins, we need to get our core going again. I know this is the type of loss that some seem to relish for whatever reason, but I have faith in these guys and the season isn't over. Take this last stretch to get right and get ready for March. 

• Like 1

I for one am not crushed by this loss. On the road; revenge game for Hofstra; Hofstra coming off W vs C of C; no way Estrada & Thomas were going to repeat their poor shooting performance at SECU. With that being said, we squandered a good opportunity to position ourselves for a run at first place. As pointed out above, if CT or Holden had a better scoring game, we likely win. With NT’s career game, we didn’t need both CT and Holden to go off, but when only 1 of 3 of your top scorers produces, this is what happens. I don’t expect NT to drop 30 every night, but if he can get to at or around 20, in conjunction with productive games from CT and Holden, then we would have a legit chance to beat any team in the conference on any given night. Of course, getting all 3 of them to be productive in the same game is easier said than done, which is why I have a healthy dose of skepticism this team can run the table in the tournament. And, in a worst case scenario we drop out of the top 4 in the regular season standings, I see no chance we’re winning 4 games in 4 days. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

That was a fun listen today 🏀📻

Supporting cast needs to make 3’s and more importantly the front ends of 1 and 1’s.  Cam needs to shoot at least 100 free throws a day to get out of his funk.  
CT, Nic & Cam are gonna need to have their best games in the same game for us to have a shot in DC.  Despite the loss I believe this game really helped our progress tonight.  
Could have used Chase tonight with the all the foul trouble.  
That Estrada will be in the G League next season and he’s just such a difference maker.  
Enjoyed the game chat..  heads up Towson faithful.  
It is time for us all to make that deal with the devil so we can finally 🕺 again. 

I think he is what he is from the line. It’s not a funk, he’s just a 65% shooter.  
estrada May transfer again to a bigger school. He can likely make more NIL money than g league 

1 hour ago, ReverendRemulak said:

We all knew that Estrada wasn't going to miss all of his 3s and shoot 29% overall again. Dude is a baller. Such a shame to waste a great shooting performance and career high in points from Timber. If literally one other guy steps up, we win that game. CT cannot disappear like that in big games. I get that he got in foul trouble, but still. More fouls than points. 

The final two games of the season are shaping up to be massive. The next handful of games are absolutely winnable and beyond needing to get wins, we need to get our core going again. I know this is the type of loss that some seem to relish for whatever reason, but I have faith in these guys and the season isn't over. Take this last stretch to get right and get ready for March. 

I don’t think anyone relish in these types of losses.  Season isn’t over. Chance for the top 2 seeds like is. Hofstra has the tiebreaker over us. If both teams go in equal the second to last game, and we pull out a win in that house of horrors then yes we have a chance.  

34 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I for one am not crushed by this loss. On the road; revenge game for Hofstra; Hofstra coming off W vs C of C; no way Estrada & Thomas were going to repeat their poor shooting performance at SECU. With that being said, we squandered a good opportunity to position ourselves for a run at first place. As pointed out above, if CT or Holden had a better scoring game, we likely win. With NT’s career game, we didn’t need both CT and Holden to go off, but when only 1 of 3 of your top scorers produces, this is what happens. I don’t expect NT to drop 30 every night, but if he can get to at or around 20, in conjunction with productive games from CT and Holden, then we would have a legit chance to beat any team in the conference on any given night. Of course, getting all 3 of them to be productive in the same game is easier said than done, which is why I have a healthy dose of skepticism this team can run the table in the tournament. And, in a worst case scenario we drop out of the top 4 in the regular season standings, I see no chance we’re winning 4 games in 4 days. 

Hofstra is good so it’s not crushing. But we didn’t play well, had players out (they had Marshall out too) and were up 7 with 5 to go. Had a real chance to steal one. 
4 in 4 is almost impossible. I think maybe 3/4 times in the old caa did a team outside thr top 5 even make the finals 

• Like 1

Good game last night. Timberlake was great, but one of the other positives was Biekeu's play in the first half which was a big reason we built up our lead. I definitely agree with the comments that if we just get a decent offensive games from CT and Holden we probably win. Give credit to Hofstra. In the postgame interview with Estrada, it was clear they were pointing to this as a revenge game for earlier this year, and the two games last year. In some ways, it makes me feel pretty good that Hofstra had to shoot 17-28 in the second half just to pull out a really tight victory over us.

In general, I actually still like the way we match up with them. Unfortunately, the end of this game felt a lot like the Clemson game where the opposition completely figured out our defense got high quality shots any time they wanted. I know we beat Hofstra by  21 at home, but if you look at the game they also got a lot of high quality shots. They just missed everything that game. This is where I know Skerry and others know a lot more about this than me, but when I watched last night and the game against Clemson my question is can we switch up the defense on a few possession just to try to confuse and slow down the opposition. It feels like the philosophy we have is the reason they are scoring is we aren't executing our defense, but sometimes no matter how good you are if you keep throwing fastballs to hitters they have it timed and will succeed. Feels like out of timeout, or even when there is a deadball maybe a zone or even just straight man-to-man without switches on a possession or two could at least make them have to slow down and figure some things out. Again, I fully admit I don't have the level of knowledge of coaches or others on this, but it just felt like Clemson earlier this year and Hofstra could do whatever they wanted. I know part of that is a team just gets hot and they are had to stop, but I feel like an active effort needs to be made to slow them down and not do the same thing on every possession. Just an observation, but not one I claim to know a ton about.

I will say after watching this game, it actually made feel just as good about our chance in the tournament as our winning streak did. We went on the road against what will probably the first place team in the conference and they had to shoot over 60% in the second half just to pull out a tight game. I don't view this as being about our past in the CAA Tournament as how we do this year, however I do feel like we have to find ways to start better in games, we have to look at the film and be ready to adjust when teams figure out what we are doing, and obviously hope that we can get good stretches in three games (hopefully we get a top 4 seed) from Cam, Thompson and Timberlake in games. Some matchups in this conference are better than others, and after yesterday I still like the way we match up against Hofstra. I just think we need a Plan B. I know that may sound pie in the sky and I certainly don't think we are favorites or anything, but there are probably 4 or 5 realistic teams that can win the conference and while we are not that top choice, we do have to be one of them. 

6 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Good game last night. Timberlake was great, but one of the other positives was Biekeu's play in the first half which was a big reason we built up our lead. I definitely agree with the comments that if we just get a decent offensive games from CT and Holden we probably win. Give credit to Hofstra. In the postgame interview with Estrada, it was clear they were pointing to this as a revenge game for earlier this year, and the two games last year. In some ways, it makes me feel pretty good that Hofstra had to shoot 17-28 in the second half just to pull out a really tight victory over us.

In general, I actually still like the way we match up with them. Unfortunately, the end of this game felt a lot like the Clemson game where the opposition completely figured out our defense got high quality shots any time they wanted. I know we beat Hofstra by  21 at home, but if you look at the game they also got a lot of high quality shots. They just missed everything that game. This is where I know Skerry and others know a lot more about this than me, but when I watched last night and the game against Clemson my question is can we switch up the defense on a few possession just to try to confuse and slow down the opposition. It feels like the philosophy we have is the reason they are scoring is we aren't executing our defense, but sometimes no matter how good you are if you keep throwing fastballs to hitters they have it timed and will succeed. Feels like out of timeout, or even when there is a deadball maybe a zone or even just straight man-to-man without switches on a possession or two could at least make them have to slow down and figure some things out. Again, I fully admit I don't have the level of knowledge of coaches or others on this, but it just felt like Clemson earlier this year and Hofstra could do whatever they wanted. I know part of that is a team just gets hot and they are had to stop, but I feel like an active effort needs to be made to slow them down and not do the same thing on every possession. Just an observation, but not one I claim to know a ton about.

I will say after watching this game, it actually made feel just as good about our chance in the tournament as our winning streak did. We went on the road against what will probably the first place team in the conference and they had to shoot over 60% in the second half just to pull out a tight game. I don't view this as being about our past in the CAA Tournament as how we do this year, however I do feel like we have to find ways to start better in games, we have to look at the film and be ready to adjust when teams figure out what we are doing, and obviously hope that we can get good stretches in three games (hopefully we get a top 4 seed) from Cam, Thompson and Timberlake in games. Some matchups in this conference are better than others, and after yesterday I still like the way we match up against Hofstra. I just think we need a Plan B. I know that may sound pie in the sky and I certainly don't think we are favorites or anything, but there are probably 4 or 5 realistic teams that can win the conference and while we are not that top choice, we do have to be one of them. 

Hofstra and Clemson are good offensive teams. They are always going to get good looks. We are a solid, not great by any means defensive team. We shrink the game which inflates some of the defensive stats. Honestly I feel like Hofstra got better looks in the first game. They had numerous wide open jumpers.  Last night some were contested. 
Pat is resultant to switch defenses. Which if you’ve ever seen us go zone for a possession or two you would know why. Now the season finale we need to play some zone because uncw doesn’t shoot well and our guards aren’t good enough to stay with the the quicker uncw players. 

Our plan B on offense is Charles. He was great the last two games in the pick and roll. But with foul trouble that wasn’t there. We struggled with points in the paint last night 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Hofstra and Clemson are good offensive teams. They are always going to get good looks. We are a solid, not great by any means defensive team. We shrink the game which inflates some of the defensive stats. Honestly I feel like Hofstra got better looks in the first game. They had numerous wide open jumpers.  Last night some were contested. 
Pat is resultant to switch defenses. Which if you’ve ever seen us go zone for a possession or two you would know why. Now the season finale we need to play some zone because uncw doesn’t shoot well and our guards aren’t good enough to stay with the the quicker uncw players. 

Our plan B on offense is Charles. He was great the last two games in the pick and roll. But with foul trouble that wasn’t there. We struggled with points in the paint last night 

Early foul trouble definitely derailed Thompson offensively. It is weird, but I felt like by eye test that Hofstra was making things harder for us inside defensively last night and they probably were. However, when you compare games we shot 20-34 2pt FG (which isn't necessarily in the point, but most likely it) last night and 21-40 2pt FG in the first game. We also had 15 offensive rebounds and outrebounded them 40-30 as opposed to 14 and 44-34 in the first game. The big difference like you said is the made their open shots last night.

To me I think of going zone or not running a switching defense on a possession or two like a reliever who doesn't have a good curve ball or change-up but throws it once or twice just to keep people off-balance. I am less critical of Skerry than others, but the two things I really think he can work on to make us more prepared to succeed in the tournament is try to figure out how to be less uptight (which I think comes from his approach sometimes) going into postseason play, and to be flexible to try some different things (even it is sporadically) if things aren't going the way he drew it up in those games. Those are growth opportunities, and I know he mentioned ways he was looking to figure things like that out last year. 

I am not overly optimistic about this group in the CAA Tournament, but I also don't feel like it is crazy that this team could get a couple of breaks or play well enough to have a shot to win it. I watched the end of the Drexel-Charleston game, and it feels like that opened up a whole different set of outcomes in the tournament. Charleston is good, but I think they may have peaked a little early like we did last year. They are still probably the best team in the conference, but I don't know that there is a large separation between 1-5 in this conference at this point.

Pat was right about transition defense off of made baskets. We weren’t giving up layups, but wide open threes because guys weren’t getting back or not communicating. Some of their shots were ridiculous and you have to credit the opponent.

Everyone focuses on when CT and Cam have bad games, but if Russell makes one three and gets a stop or two against Estrada, we win the game. I know he’s not an all-conference player but he’s our best on ball defender. When he’s off on both ends along with two of the Big Three, it’s tough to win 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Early foul trouble definitely derailed Thompson offensively. It is weird, but I felt like by eye test that Hofstra was making things harder for us inside defensively last night and they probably were. However, when you compare games we shot 20-34 2pt FG (which isn't necessarily in the point, but most likely it) last night and 21-40 2pt FG in the first game. We also had 15 offensive rebounds and outrebounded them 40-30 as opposed to 14 and 44-34 in the first game. The big difference like you said is the made their open shots last night.

To me I think of going zone or not running a switching defense on a possession or two like a reliever who doesn't have a good curve ball or change-up but throws it once or twice just to keep people off-balance. I am less critical of Skerry than others, but the two things I really think he can work on to make us more prepared to succeed in the tournament is try to figure out how to be less uptight (which I think comes from his approach sometimes) going into postseason play, and to be flexible to try some different things (even it is sporadically) if things aren't going the way he drew it up in those games. Those are growth opportunities, and I know he mentioned ways he was looking to figure things like that out last year. 

I am not overly optimistic about this group in the CAA Tournament, but I also don't feel like it is crazy that this team could get a couple of breaks or play well enough to have a shot to win it. I watched the end of the Drexel-Charleston game, and it feels like that opened up a whole different set of outcomes in the tournament. Charleston is good, but I think they may have peaked a little early like we did last year. They are still probably the best team in the conference, but I don't know that there is a large separation between 1-5 in this conference at this point.

Many times, with teams being so close in talent, the difference is the coaching. IMHO, the key is to keep the players loose. Do whatever is possible to make them forget about "getting the monkey off their back". Remind them that history is irrelevant. Each game, each team, each year is different....just be who you are!

• Like 1