• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Estrada and Hofstra 76-72

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

Many times, with teams being so close in talent, the difference is the coaching. IMHO, the key is to keep the players loose. Do whatever is possible to make them forget about "getting the monkey off their back". Remind them that history is irrelevant. Each game, each team, each year is different....just be who you are!

I agree, but I do think this is adjustable from year-to-year. Coaches learn how to relate and motivate their players in different ways and they have different groups that respond to different things. 

3 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

I agree, but I do think this is adjustable from year-to-year. Coaches learn how to relate and motivate their players in different ways and they have different groups that respond to different things. 

Has Skerry learned that?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sr16 said:

Has Skerry learned that?

Haha. We all know the answer to that.  A winning season is all we can hope for because we aren’t winning more than a game in march ever 

11 minutes ago, sr16 said:

Has Skerry learned that?

We'll find out. There is always time to learn new things. Hard to tell last year because we were both tight and banged up for an injury standpoint. Our two efforts as a front-running team have not been great, and of course his overall body of work isn't good either. I do think the 2017 tournament where we crushed Northeastern and were tied at Charleston with five minutes to go in the semis might have been the closest we have been to making a conference championship game since I have been a fan (since 1993), but ultimately we came up short.

All I am saying is there is always a possibility for people to grow and learn from their mistakes. I also can't dispute a long body of evidence of failures, but the future is unknown and that is why sports is fun. This is not a great team and obviously expectations have made us disappointed, but they are a good team with some solid and experienced players, and like I said the Drexel win last night made me feel like there isn't as much difference in the top five as maybe I have been thinking all year. It is probably the way teams felt last year when Northeastern beat us (although that was a really bad loss compared to the ones I am referencing). 

8 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Haha. We all know the answer to that.  A winning season is all we can hope for because we aren’t winning more than a game in march ever 

You might be right, but nothing is predetermined. When you write it this way it almost sounds like you are rooting for us to do bad, which I know you aren't. I know we all want the same thing, and I hope you are surprised in March. If not, we can resume our annual conversation all over again. 

• Thanks 1

We'll find out. There is always time to learn new things. Hard to tell last year because we were both tight and banged up for an injury standpoint. Our two efforts as a front-running team have not been great, and of course his overall body of work isn't good either. I do think the 2017 tournament where we crushed Northeastern and were tied at Charleston with five minutes to go in the semis might have been the closest we have been to making a conference championship game since I have been a fan (since 1993), but ultimately we came up short.

All I am saying is there is always a possibility for people to grow and learn from their mistakes. I also can't dispute a long body of evidence of failures, but the future is unknown and that is why sports is fun. This is not a great team and obviously expectations have made us disappointed, but they are a good team with some solid and experienced players, and like I said the Drexel win last night made me feel like there isn't as much difference in the top five as maybe I have been thinking all year. It is probably the way teams felt last year when Northeastern beat us (although that was a really bad loss compared to the ones I am referencing). 

2009 and 2014 we were close.  None of those 3 did we ever think we were going to do it but all were 1 possession games with Around 5 left.

You might be right, but nothing is predetermined. When you write it this way it almost sounds like you are rooting for us to do bad, which I know you aren't. I know we all want the same thing, and I hope you are surprised in March. If not, we can resume our annual conversation all over again. 

I’m not. But I’ve seen this story way too many times before and up close.  Doesn’t matter how many we win in the regular season, it’s the same story 

"... Doesn’t matter how many we win in the regular season, it’s the same story" 

When I read that last sentence 2012, for me, a single word comes to mind:

[lowest, eighth seeded].   Winthrop

Edited by Moleman1

On 2/3/2023 at 7:33 PM, TuTigers2012 said:

2009 and 2014 we were close.  None of those 3 did we ever think we were going to do it but all were 1 possession games with Around 5 left.

I’m not. But I’ve seen this story way too many times before and up close.  Doesn’t matter how many we win in the regular season, it’s the same story 

Yeah, I looked back and we were closer than I had remembered in those two years. For some reason, I never thought we were going to win in 2009 or 2014. I believe you were up close in-person in 2009 and trust your thoughts on it. I know I was at the 2014 game and we played horrible for most of that game until a late scramble to get back into it. I don't know why, but I really thought we were going to win and get to the finals in 2017. I don't think we had that much of a chance against UNC-Wilmington in the championship game despite playing them tough (at least once) that year. 

14 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Yeah, I looked back and we were closer than I had remembered in those two years. For some reason, I never thought we were going to win in 2009 or 2014. I believe you were up close in-person in 2009 and trust your thoughts on it. I know I was at the 2014 game and we played horrible for most of that game until a late scramble to get back into it. I don't know why, but I really thought we were going to win and get to the finals in 2017. I don't think we had that much of a chance against UNC-Wilmington in the championship game despite playing them tough (at least once) that year. 

Yeah all three were close.  The wm game we shot over 50% from the field and three but still lost.  Turnovers weee similar too. It’s a shame we couldn’t knock through in either of those two