• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls at W&M 68-66

Ok, let's talk like adults now. I do apologize for going off on the chat. I've watched this program for 30+ years. I've been down, disappointed and frustrated a million times. Tonight, I think I reached my boiling point. Maybe we're just not that good, yet we beat Hofstra like a drum the first time. So something is there. I don't know what this team is going to do the next two games at home, but I sure as hell will be there, hoping they can get their act together. 

It really starts with effort on defense. Nobody should be shooting 10-of-19 from three-point range against us unless they are Hofstra. If we're going to go offense/defense late in games, maybe it's time for #5 to replace #25.

The offense runs through Cam. I get it but I don't see any motion and if you are going to get a shot late in the game. go to the post. We have nobody that can break people down. And put Ryan Conway in so it's more difficult to double CT or Cam.

Starting games out behind nearly every game and tonight the second half well is beyond inexcusable. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Where did I say he didn’t?  He's probably as frustrated as us (the others idk, as long as they can post on instagram they are good!) calling out his play isn’t calling out his character. Great kid and student, ambassador, not great guarding the post  or finishing down low.  This is d1 hoops not model UN. 

Side not, he’s one of my favorite players through the years. I enjoy the grinders and blue collar guys. But from last year to now that philosophy has been thrown out the window. This is a soft and weak team. There’s a level of appreciation for the guys who stay 4-5 years. Just wish they could take the next step. Unfortunately  under pat 95% of them don’t 

Geez you are going off now…  I just said no need for negative nicknames is all.  
i appreciate your passion for the program to be successful. 
4 games left….  we aren’t in the locker room or at practice daily etc.  Support these guys!

29 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I agree we can dispense with the monickers that were posted above for some of the players. OTOH critiquing players is fair game, though we all know who the real culprit is for this Groundhog Day treadmill of coming up small year after year after year we find ourselves on. I don’t think it’s hyperbole to suggest we might not win another game this season. Even if we do, we all know the fate that awaits us in DC. In our case, past performance is a valid indicator of future ineptitude 

I think this season has been an incredible roller coaster of emotions. We all thought they'd be done after non-conference play and the Cam goes out and Jason was done. Then we won six straight and now we can't win on the road all of a sudden. I think it looks incredibly bleak, but it's up to the players to decide that. Do those 5 seniors want their careers to end with a whimper? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://towsontigers.com/news/2023/2/13/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-falls-late-68-66-at-william-mary.aspx

Also, one enjoyable thing about last year's team that we've seen snippets of this year has been the ball movement. We led the league in assists at one point until February started. In the last two games, I haven't seen that. Tonight, just 10 assists. Cam scoring 20 points a game is fine for him, but for the team, we need unselfish Cam with 16, 5 and 2 TOs. Did like the 8-of-10 from the line but that's a rare positive tonight. He had that triple-double because his passing was exceptional. The ball needs to move just as it did in most home games and Hofstra on the road.

8 hours ago, TSU88 said:

He’s a nice guy, great family man, graduates kids and generally is going to W 18-20 games a year. I guess that’s enough for some, especially those who fall back on the tired refrain of “look at what a mess the program was when he took over.”

What he isn’t is a clutch, big game coach, who will get the program to the dance. For that matter, his track record is, as you point out, dismal in the conference tournament. His teams are a reflection of his limitations as a coach-utterly incapable of winning the close ones. Reminds me of a comment I read years ago by a scout talking about an NFL QB (don’t remember which one, not that it matters) “he’s just good enough to lose.” 

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say “what a good guy”. That’s when you know that it’s all over.

2 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say “what a good guy”. That’s when you know that it’s all over.

Well, he is a good guy. They taught me in law school that truth is an absolute defense. He’s also an abject failure at getting to even the championship game of the conference tournament, which by extension means he’s an abject failure at getting to the dance. More than 1 thing can be true at the same time-he’s a good guy and a failure as a coach, if the metric is winning the conference championship and going dancing. I stand by my prediction that unfortunately I don’t believe he will ever get us to the promised land. Boy would I love to be wrong and have to eat a heaping helping of crow, but I doubt that will ever be the case. But, due to that nonsensical contract extension he got, he’s not going anywhere for the foreseeable future. Wash, rinse, repeat. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was 

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Well, he is a good guy. They taught me in law school that truth is an absolute defense. He’s also an abject failure at getting to even the the championship game of the conference tournament, which by extension means he’s an abject failure at getting to the dance. More than 1 thing can be true at the same time-he’s a good guy and a failure as a coach, if the metric is winning the conference championship and going dancing. I stand by my prediction that unfortunately I don’t believe he will ever get us to the promised land. Boy would I love to be wrong and have to eat a heaping helping of crow, but I doubt that will ever be the case. But, due to that nonsensical contract extension he got, he’s not going anywhere for the foreseeable future. Wash, rinse, repeat. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was 

Don’t really want to get into a debate over who is a good guy and who is not, because it is totally irrelevant. He is paid to win meaningful games……and he does not. However, he clearly knows how to choose the correct agent to negotiate a contract. Everyone has their own talents.