• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB Dominates Delaware 95-72

We obviously aren’t as bad as the wm and Drexel games but also not anywhere as good as we were last night.  As Mat stated and we’ve all seen for years, we struggle in close games. Until that’s figured out it’ll always be rinse wash and repeat 

In hindsight, I really regret missing last night's game. Just that, after the Double Debacle, I'd lost faith in these guys. But all is forgiven - they convincingly proved they're not finished with this season just yet. Ok, Cam came up a bit short on shooting, # of team FT misses, and the high # of turnovers were unacceptable. But given Cam's other "Swiss army knife" stats, and with all the other parts of the engine running smoothly and powerfully, it was quite a lethal comeback game. Also really great to see the ball sharing, as that is when they're most likely to shift into their A-game. 

I love what '93 said about the importance of "the supporting cast". I believe this is especially critical in not overburdening the Big Three:

"..the more the supporting cast shows up the more this team looks the way we want them to.."

IMO, Cam doesn’t need to score 20 points for us to win. He does need 6+ assists and he’s capable of that every game. When the ball sticks, we’re ordinary at best, unless the PNR is working with CT. When it moves, we’re pretty good. 

Looking at the latest stats, we lead the league in three point percentage at 37.2%. That’s impressive without our best three point shooter though Conway had done a nice job filling in. I’m sure Gibby would have jacked up about 50 more three point attempts if he was healthy. Ryan has taken 104 and Jason took 154 threes last season in nearly the same amount of games.

46 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

IMO, Cam doesn’t need to score 20 points for us to win. He does need 6+ assists and he’s capable of that every game. When the ball sticks, we’re ordinary at best, unless the PNR is working with CT. When it moves, we’re pretty good. 

Looking at the latest stats, we lead the league in three point percentage at 37.2%. That’s impressive without our best three point shooter though Conway had done a nice job filling in. I’m sure Gibby would have jacked up about 50 more three point attempts if he was healthy. Ryan has taken 104 and Jason took 154 threes last season in nearly the same amount of games.

Conway is a dead-eye shooter when he gets wide open looks, but I have been disappointed in his lack of being able to score in any other way. If there is any sort of pressure on his shot, or if he has to dribble or move to get it there is a good chance it isn't going down. There have been flashes when he has hit some shots while moving off the dribble, but your point about the ball not sticking is huge because when we are moving it around Conway can get open shots and be a viable part of the offense. 

38 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Conway is a dead-eye shooter when he gets wide open looks, but I have been disappointed in his lack of being able to score in any other way. If there is any sort of pressure on his shot, or if he has to dribble or move to get it there is a good chance it isn't going down. There have been flashes when he has hit some shots while moving off the dribble, but your point about the ball not sticking is huge because when we are moving it around Conway can get open shots and be a viable part of the offense. 

Gibby had the same issue, which is why he took about three steps behind the line. Ryan is much better athlete which is why I expect him to improve next season as a scorer, who can do more than make threes. Seems like a really good kid and smart as well. He’ll know what to work on and has his brother to help him.

4 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Gibby had the same issue, which is why he took about three steps behind the line. Ryan is much better athlete which is why I expect him to improve next season as a scorer, who can do more than make threes. Seems like a really good kid and smart as well. He’ll know what to work on and has his brother to help him.

Makes sense. I look forward to watching his development. We have to remember in this immediate gratification transfer portal age that it is also good to have some freshman who can develop and get better. I actually feel like Gibson started to figure out ways to get to the basket and score at times, and could also shoot a little better on the move than Conway can now. However, Conway seems like his overall skillset has more of a ceiling than Gibson's.

I just remember reading about Gibson coming in and thinking he was a winner, and I always appreciate that he never backed down and seemed to always try to be aggressive. I will always have a place in my heart for the Gibson-Thompson-Timberlake recruiting class. I know they are limited and not high-end stars in any way, but all three are high-motor players who always seem to try to get the best out of themselves. I appreciate their contribution to this program no matter what happens. I don't get to very many games in-person living in Minnesota, but I did see their first college game against George Washington (still the only game I have seen at SECU) and I was excited for what they could do collectively. We have gone 40-23 in conference play during their time (would be higher if not for the disastrous 2020-21 season). Hopefully, we can get a good run from Thompson and Timberlake to close out their careers (I assume they won't be back, but I believe they technically can come back).

2 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Makes sense. I look forward to watching his development. We have to remember in this immediate gratification transfer portal age that it is also good to have some freshman who can develop and get better. I actually feel like Gibson started to figure out ways to get to the basket and score at times, and could also shoot a little better on the move than Conway can now. However, Conway seems like his overall skillset has more of a ceiling than Gibson's.

I just remember reading about Gibson coming in and thinking he was a winner, and I always appreciate that he never backed down and seemed to always try to be aggressive. I will always have a place in my heart for the Gibson-Thompson-Timberlake recruiting class. I know they are limited and not high-end stars in any way, but all three are high-motor players who always seem to try to get the best out of themselves. I appreciate their contribution to this program no matter what happens. I don't get to very many games in-person living in Minnesota, but I did see their first college game against George Washington (still the only game I have seen at SECU) and I was excited for what they could do collectively. We have gone 40-23 in conference play during their time (would be higher if not for the disastrous 2020-21 season). Hopefully, we can get a good run from Thompson and Timberlake to close out their careers (I assume they won't be back, but I believe they technically can come back).

Are there any other towson tigers in Minnesota or are you 1 of 1? How’d you end up there?

Can’t believe we shot 73% from 3 and lead the league in three point scoring. Never thought that would be the case with this program the past decade. If that kind of shooting travels to dc in March who could beat us? Big game on Saturday to send off the seniors who have done a lot for this squad. Don’t want to overlook NC A&T they can get steaky hot like we do. After that UNCW had tough defense but struggles to score. They don’t worry me like Pat Kelsey’s cougs do. 

there have been ups and downs this year like every year but that’s a good thing because if there aren’t any ups and downs that means your flatlining and your dead!