• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Timberlake leads MBB over NC A&T 87-75

https://towsontigers.com/news/2023/2/18/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-defeats-north-carolina-a-t-87-75-on-senior-day.aspx

More comments later.

This was such a Towson game aside from the 39 3-point attempts. Nic's career was almost entirely encapsulated in one game though he shot very well, the four turnovers and the tantrum where he nearly got a technical foul after slamming the ball on the floor. The turnovers against the zone pressure in the second half were really bad and Cam just didn't seem locked in for whatever reason. Nygal Russell did and congrats to him for going 5 for 11 from 3pt and putting up 15 points in his final home game. I asked CT whether this was his final home game and he said he hadn't made his decision yet. Five blocks today for 32 with 17 rebounds. We certainly could use him next season to go along with 3 experienced transfers (I'd take mid-major guys like Tyler Thomas over a P5/6 guy that rarely plays).

I thought we save a glimpse of the future when Cam and Nic both had two fouls late in the half and it wasn't pretty. No matter what you think of their actions, we'll go as far as they can take us. Appreciate Hampton for getting us a top four seed.

9 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

https://towsontigers.com/news/2023/2/18/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-defeats-north-carolina-a-t-87-75-on-senior-day.aspx

More comments later.

This was such a Towson game aside from the 39 3-point attempts. Nic's career was almost entirely encapsulated in one game though he shot very well, the four turnovers and the tantrum where he nearly got a technical foul after slamming the ball on the floor. The turnovers against the zone pressure in the second half were really bad and Cam just didn't seem locked in for whatever reason. Nygal Russell did and congrats to him for going 5 for 11 from 3pt and putting up 15 points in his final home game. I asked CT whether this was his final home game and he said he hadn't made his decision yet. Five blocks today for 32 with 17 rebounds. We certainly could use him next season to go along with 3 experienced transfers (I'd take mid-major guys like Tyler Thomas over a P5/6 guy that rarely plays).

I thought we save a glimpse of the future when Cam and Nic both had two fouls late in the half and it wasn't pretty. No matter what you think of their actions, we'll go as far as they can take us. Appreciate Hampton for getting us a top four seed.

That was the epitome of a Towson game.  fantastic glimpse into what we can do.  Lots of dumb shit the rest of the way. The last two years are a lot of what ifs? 

Obviously next year and the year after will be ugly. We all knew that and were selling out for this year. 

I'm not giving up on next year because there are three spots available to find the next Cam or the next Nic. If they don't come close to replacing them, it will be ugly even if Charles returns. Also excited to see Jaiden Cole and if Dylan Williamson can play. Heard he put on about 10-12 pounds and is somewhat similar to Conway, though I believe more of 1 than a combo. But no real expectations next season. In some ways, looking forward to it because I don't think I can deal with this every year anymore.

Baring any transfers or players leaving (which there will be a lot). The caa is loaded next year.  Said that about this year and the year before that and it’s become a feeder conference.  Seniors are all on our team and a few on Charleston with their naia d3 guys. 

So props to nick Charles and Jason staying  4 years (or more) at any schools, especially Towson is rare. Joining Tj, mike, Eddie, dennis, Alex, McNeil, Davis. 

Comments from Nic on fast start

"We were just amped up. Knew that it was our last home game. Never going to be over in the first few minutes. It's a game of runs. To be able to battle back, keep the lead and maintain was great."

Charles on defending in second half

"We are always talking about getting the kill shot. If you can get the kill, it changes the momentum of the game. We focused but couldn't get it. It turned out alright. (Powell) was missing a lot in the first half. He was making some tough mid-range jumper. He's similar to Davis (Jyare). He doesn't want to roll and wants to take those jumpers. We hedge a lot. The majority of it was that their guards don't want to use the ball screen. Just get back and guard him and it's one-on-one."

On hitting big 3s Nygal

"I think so (wanting big moments). We have some older guys who are mature and have seen this moment al lot of times. Now that it really matters, it's good for us to step up and make those shots."

Nic

All the hard work that we put throughout the years, it helps

On playing in front of your family

Nic

"Here it feels like home, but going up to New England or something, that's a little bit more pressure. A lot more people coming. I had 10 people and very thankful for what they've done for me throughout the years."

"This is a very connected group, we're like brothers. Nobody is blaming anybody on any loss. We pulled out two wins after Monday."

Charles on his last home game?

"I haven't really thought too much about it. Want to see how the season goes and everything."

On second half turnovers

Nic

"Us. By a lot. We were just giving them the ball. We sped ourselves up and just made dumb plays at the end of the day. I threw four away in the second half. We had one turnover in the first half and 13 in the second half. If we cut down those turnovers, it probably wouldn't have been as close. "

CT on blocking five shots

"Cam Woods and their guards are very good. They attack the rim. They aren't necessarily looking to make plays for others. WHen they are at the rim, they have tunnel vision. Once Radhir or Nygal or Nic stands them up, it's an easy block."

Before Pat's comments, nearly 3,600 tonight. Nice crowd

"Coach Shumpert has done a really good job. They are a hard team to play against. We had a great start and we couldn't sustain that. A&T had a lot to do with that. I like the way we rallied late."

On 39 three-point attempts

"I told the guys that are defensive numbers are good and are rebounding numbers are good. Maybe a lot had been Charles. I didn't know I was coaching the Golden State Warriors. We were whipping the ball around and shooting 100 threes. Those who say we haven't evolved on offense over the last couple of years, we have good, bad or indifferently."

On A&T changing defense and not going inside in the second half

"They changed defenses a lot with a 2-2-1 press back to a 2-3, some 1-3-1. We were aware that they were going to do it. It's one thing to talk about it on a one-day turnaround and it's tougher to replicate it. We had more time to prepare for that last time."

"We fouled a couple of times, We had some miscommunications on some guard-to-guard screens. Charlie bailed us out. We have some high-end players that are very good. Not many guys I'd trade for Charlie. His value to us is huge."

Back on track?

"I hope so. We're 1-7 in one-possession games. I have to do a better job. Our guys are aware of what we gotta do. We had a long dinner with me, Nic and Cam last week before Delaware. They want to be good. We're in the mix. That's going to be a challenge. We're getting ready for Thursday against an unbelievably talented team in Charleston in a great environment. We'll put a gameplan together and we'll worry about other stuff (seeds) later."

Senior Day

"Always a hard game, all the families are here. We have really good kids. Our guys gave me these cards (for Autism Day) with a donation to Autism Speaks. In 31 years, I'm not sure I've ever seen basketball players go into their pocket to give money. They made a posterboard with my son's name and jersey. These guys are awesome guys. It's hard because everyone wants to play well in front of their families and some don't see their families much. There's a lot of emotion. It gets hard after that great start."

• Like 2

Cam shot 3 of 12 from the field, which isn't anything new (though his "missed" dunk was an illegal goaltend that wasn't called). He needs to face up to his limited shooting skills and dish off more instead of taking back-to-the-basket shots down low (or those WTF threes). He's so much better when he's feeding others rather than playing selfishly. If it's all about the team, then do what's best for the team.

More from Skerry

"Coach Shumpert did a good job of changing defenses. He went to the bench for some guys who rarely play. Some weren't heavy guys in the scouting report and those guys can and delivered at the end of the half. We did a pretty good job on Woods, but Powell and Johnson were really good today."

On Senior Class

"It's great to win today. I'm not going to get too emotional, because it gets pretty heavy. Thursday night on national TV. We want to perform on a high level."

A&T

Some good quotes above. Nygal, despite all our reservations, is not afraid to shoot. Which on this team, is a rarity.

that philosophy of a kill shot is interesting. We never put any game out of reach but it’s nice that they atleast think they can. 

Don’t Blame Charles for staying or going. I hope we make it the tourney so he does leave but wouldn’t mind seeing him back.  Think he would make a good coach or Towson athletics rep in the future. Assume he has or will get degree my May. And he’s much better on the court than other players we have had, to make pro money 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TigerFan54 said:

Cam shot 3 of 12 from the field, which isn't anything new (though his "missed" dunk was an illegal goaltend that wasn't called). He needs to face up to his limited shooting skills and dish off more instead of taking back-to-the-basket shots down low (or those WTF threes). He's so much better when he's feeding others rather than playing selfishly. If it's all about the team, then do what's best for the team.

Agree to an extent so it's not like he's forcing terrible shots today. Some of them are just wide open looks but sure, that three-point shot, no matter how hard he works on it, should be limited to one shot. If you make it, take one more. If you miss it, don't take one again. Make sure Nic, Ryan, CMay and even Russell get better looks. I don't think he got to the rim enough or to the line.