• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Rotation the rest of the way

We started Sekou Sylla due to Senior Day and I wonder if you continue playing big with Cam and Nic in the backcourt just to start off games. Don't mind that against Charleston on Thursday, but UNCW is a different team.

Starting Sylla or Hicks for 2-3 minutes isn't a huge deal, but you want to make sure you don't get down early in the second round of the CAA Tournament. Now the question is who do you play? I think we're going with 8, but we might need Biekeu on Thursday against a team that likes to bully people on the boards. I think we forget that even though he's 250 pounds, Charles is also just 6-7. Charleston has guys like Brzovic at 6-10, 230 and Lampten who is 6-11, 230 who only plays about 7 minutes per game but he is a more useful than Chris B. in his 5 minutes. 

I think it's also back to Russell as the starting 3. He's not a great shooter, but he's made 8 of his last 16 three-pointers. May hit 2 threes today, but took just three shots overall. In his last six games, he's taken just 19 shots and he's had two starts. The defense is still there, but I'd like to see more aggression on offense. I thought he passed up a wide open 3 from the left elbow in the first half.

So right now, I'd go back to Russell as the starting small forward. Bring May, Hicks and Conway off the bench. Start Sylla against Charleston at the 4. Biekeu maybe can get time against Charleston because Sylla is too short to play center against Brzovic. Coleman is tough to play and Conway at the point is not great against pressure. 

PG Holden, Hicks

SG Timberlake, Conway

SF Russell, May

PF Sylla (Cam when he sits)

C Thompson (Sylla or Chris B.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

We started Sekou Sylla due to Senior Day and I wonder if you continue playing big with Cam and Nic in the backcourt just to start off games. Don't mind that against Charleston on Thursday, but UNCW is a different team.

Starting Sylla or Hicks for 2-3 minutes isn't a huge deal, but you want to make sure you don't get down early in the second round of the CAA Tournament. Now the question is who do you play? I think we're going with 8, but we might need Biekeu on Thursday against a team that likes to bully people on the boards. I think we forget that even though he's 250 pounds, Charles is also just 6-7. Charleston has guys like Brzovic at 6-10, 230 and Lampten who is 6-11, 230 who only plays about 7 minutes per game but he is a more useful than Chris B. in his 5 minutes. 

I think it's also back to Russell as the starting 3. He's not a great shooter, but he's made 8 of his last 16 three-pointers. May hit 2 threes today, but took just three shots overall. In his last six games, he's taken just 19 shots and he's had two starts. The defense is still there, but I'd like to see more aggression on offense. I thought he passed up a wide open 3 from the left elbow in the first half.

So right now, I'd go back to Russell as the starting small forward. Bring May, Hicks and Conway off the bench. Start Sylla against Charleston at the 4. Biekeu maybe can get time against Charleston because Sylla is too short to play center against Brzovic. Coleman is tough to play and Conway at the point is not great against pressure. 

PG Holden, Hicks

SG Timberlake, Conway

SF Russell, May

PF Sylla (Cam when he sits)

C Thompson (Sylla or Chris B.)

It’s an 8-man rotation. I’m not crazy about starting Sylla, but you’re correct about May shooting so sparingly. Every time Biekeu and Coleman come into the game, I break out in a cold sweat. I took a friend to the game today, who had never seen a TU game before. When Biekeu and then later Coleman came in, in the 2nd half, he commented that neither had played earlier in the game. My response was “there’s a reason for that.” Sure enough, they each made a terrible play and were promptly dispatched back to the bench. 

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

It’s an 8-man rotation. I’m not crazy about starting Sylla, but you’re correct about May shooting so sparingly. Every time Biekeu and Coleman come into the game, I break out in a cold sweat. I took a friend to the game today, who had never seen a TU game before. When Biekeu and then later Coleman came in, in the 2nd half, he commented that neither had played earlier in the game. My response was “there’s a reason for that.” Sure enough, they each made a terrible play and were promptly dispatched back to the bench. 

I think when you play smaller, athletic teams, especially one that presses and traps some, Chris B. and Coleman just can't hang. They put the ball on the floor and it's gone with a double team or some tough D. For a half, Sylla played very well and then went back to being the Sylla who struggles outside of the paint. Watching a team that loves to run and has some good athletes, shows what we're missing and need to add next season. 

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

I think when you play smaller, athletic teams, especially one that presses and traps some, Chris B. and Coleman just can't hang. They put the ball on the floor and it's gone with a double team or some tough D. For a half, Sylla played very well and then went back to being the Sylla who struggles outside of the paint. Watching a team that loves to run and has some good athletes, shows what we're missing and need to add next season. 

Yep. NCAT exposed our overall lack of athleticism today. I’ll assume Skerry understands the type of players we need to add for next season. The question in my mind is can he actually go out and get them 

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Yep. NCAT exposed our overall lack of athleticism today. I’ll assume Skerry understands the type of players we need to add for next season. The question in my mind is can he actually go out and get them 

We need a 6-4ish scorer to replace Nic with some decent length and/or athletic ability. We need a 6-7+ guy with some strength and athletic ability (6-7, 220+) to play the 4. We also need a 6-10 guy to play center with some upside and if we lose CT, we need a grad student center to replace him. Maybe 6-5ish guy who can score off the dribble and draw fouls. 

If Thompson leaves and I assume one or two players won't be back. That would be no Gibson, Chase Paar, Sylla, Holden, Timberlake, Russell and Thompson. That's seven players gone with three freshmen coming in and at least four transfers, maybe five or six. That's basically a brand-new team. Yeah, it would be nice to have Charles back, but if he goes into the business world or plays overseas, I can certainly understand.

PG Hicks, Williamson, 

SG Conway, Jaiden Cole

SF May, Mekhi Lowery

PF Coleman,  

C Biekeu, Tyler Tejada

Go big and bully ball the last two games and see what you have. Charleston wont Like be hit back by us if we go big. Uncw may zone us and we go Back at them since both team t are not shooting