• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Charleston II preview

Hofstra is the more talented team and the key is their defense. They rank first in the CAA in field goal defense at 40.5% way ahead of our 42.3%, which ranks second.

6 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I know but there is a slim shot if they get to 30 and the finals.

They better pray for every favorite to win. Uncw and us if we play them semis don’t give them a good win either. Hofstra in dc would be a third quad 2 win. But 3-1 in quad 1/2 and a net in the 60s won’t get it done. 

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

Hofstra is the more talented team and the key is their defense. They rank first in the CAA in field goal defense at 40.5% way ahead of our 42.3%, which ranks second.

They play with pace. Are deep and get lord of extra shots in a game to make up for their average shooting.  

9 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Where’s the tiger basketball report? They slackin

Usually comes out during the day of the game, but I’ll check YouTube.

11 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Usually comes out during the day of the game, but I’ll check YouTube.

I thought they were every Wednesday for some reason 

Maybe I am being naive, but I feel like both of these games are important to continue to build confidence to try to play our best for the conference tournament. First of all, we have two cracks at playing quality teams on the road and we have not had a quality win on road since November 17. I also feel like a win against Charleston would convince the players that they can play head up with either of the top teams having almost beat them in the first game.

We believed at the beginning of the season that we were the best team in this conference. I think the conference slate has proven we are probably third or fourth (despite a ridiculously unbalanced schedule). This team should want opportunities to prove itself, and they have two big ones coming up. I don't expect to win tomorrow, but I do believe we are better than UNC-W and will beat them on Saturday. 

Also, any talk about resting up and trying to be sharp for the tournament is nonsense. You prepare to be a good team by preparing to consistently be the best team you can every game. Plus, the only two purposes in getting the top four bye was to be as rested as everyone else and to lessen the amount of games we would have to play as a team with limited postseason success. We are just as likely to have someone get hurt in the quarterfinal game (remember Charles Thompson last year) as we are in any of the games this week. 

The month of February has been an uneven month for this group, which I think emphasizes even more how important it would be to have a couple of strong performances to bring into the tournament. Ultimately, tournament play has been different for us than regular-season play, but there is really no magic formula to change that. All they can do is prepare to play their best, and try to put together some momentum heading into the tournament.

I like everyone else believes that this team winning three games in three days will be incredibly difficult if it has to be Hofstra and Charleston in some order. However, all we can do is try to get the best matchup we can for the quarters, hope they show up and win that game, and then try to clear that mental hurdle of the semifinals that Skerry and for that matter this program has had since 1991. 

10 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Maybe I am being naive, but I feel like both of these games are important to continue to build confidence to try to play our best for the conference tournament. First of all, we have two cracks at playing quality teams on the road and we have not had a quality win on road since November 17. I also feel like a win against Charleston would convince the players that they can play head up with either of the top teams having almost beat them in the first game.

We believed at the beginning of the season that we were the best team in this conference. I think the conference slate has proven we are probably third or fourth (despite a ridiculously unbalanced schedule). This team should want opportunities to prove itself, and they have two big ones coming up. I don't expect to win tomorrow, but I do believe we are better than UNC-W and will beat them on Saturday. 

Also, any talk about resting up and trying to be sharp for the tournament is nonsense. You prepare to be a good team by preparing to consistently be the best team you can every game. Plus, the only two purposes in getting the top four bye was to be as rested as everyone else and to lessen the amount of games we would have to play as a team with limited postseason success. We are just as likely to have someone get hurt in the quarterfinal game (remember Charles Thompson last year) as we are in any of the games this week. 

The month of February has been an uneven month for this group, which I think emphasizes even more how important it would be to have a couple of strong performances to bring into the tournament. Ultimately, tournament play has been different for us than regular-season play, but there is really no magic formula to change that. All they can do is prepare to play their best, and try to put together some momentum heading into the tournament.

I like everyone else believes that this team winning three games in three days will be incredibly difficult if it has to be Hofstra and Charleston in some order. However, all we can do is try to get the best matchup we can for the quarters, hope they show up and win that game, and then try to clear that mental hurdle of the semifinals that Skerry and for that matter this program has had since 1991. 

Nope.  Not important. Tomorrow is literally meaningless. Not saying don’t play our starters but these games should be used to work on the real goal. (I seem to remember almost everyone on here earlier this year the regular season games are meaningless)

Until last Thursday we have been a 500 team since thanksgiving  so let’s not pretend like we were going to walk into trask and td and win where they are a combined 25-3 this season. 

We haven’t put together a complete game all year, what makes you think we will now?  Cougars are physical and that Russian kid is dirty, as is the pirate. No need to risk anything! We we Whaley with 19 wins.!! 🎊 

I’d be content with a split and no injuries. Not ecstatic about possibly going into DC on a 2-game losing streak, but there is a week between the last regular season game and the tournament, so the last 2 regular season games should be a distant memory once we tipoff in DC. I tend to agree with an earlier post that a W tomorrow vs C of C could actually be a negative in the long term, as it means we’d have to beat them a 2nd time in a short period of time, if we were to cross paths with them again in the tournament. That being said, I’d be happy if we got a W tomorrow, and then worry about the possibility of playing them in DC if/when it happens.