• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Charleston II preview

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Nope.  Not important. Tomorrow is literally meaningless. Not saying don’t play our starters but these games should be used to work on the real goal. (I seem to remember almost everyone on here earlier this year the regular season games are meaningless)

Until last Thursday we have been a 500 team since thanksgiving  so let’s not pretend like we were going to walk into trask and td and win where they are a combined 25-3 this season. 

We haven’t put together a complete game all year, what makes you think we will now?  Cougars are physical and that Russian kid is dirty, as is the pirate. No need to risk anything! We we Whaley with 19 wins.!! 🎊 

What exactly are we risking that weren't risking last week, the week before or the week before that? Guys can get injured playing basketball, but to be scared of the seems overly cautious.

I know moral victories don't count, but we have been very close to winning at Clemson, Hofstra and Drexel (who was undefeated in conference play until last week home) this year. I know we are terrible in close games and not great on the road. Why not try to put ourselves in position to play hard and try to overcome that since we won't be in the friendly confines of SECU for the CAA Tournament.

Charleston is an extremely tough game and obviously a longshot to win, but the fact that winning now hurts us in the tournament seems counter intuitive. I guarantee Hofstra has more confidence they can beat them from winning there. I think it is clear Hofstra and Charleston are better teams than we are, but I would feel better if we beat them went 2-2 against the conference's top teams and went into the CAA Tournament knowing we could have won any of the four games against them. How is it any harder to beat us three times if they already have two wins against us than it would be if we actually win at their place? That doesn't seem logical, and any explanation pretty much boils down to what you personally might think, not the way the team would actually approach it. 

As for UNC-W, their conference home wins have come against Elon, Monmouth, NC A&T, Northeastern and Hampton. They did play Charleston extremely tough at home (so did we), and they handed William & Mary their one conference road win of the year. Several people have railed on about how bad the conference is this year and your not wrong, but to look at the UNC-W home conference resume and say we have no chance to win there is cherry-picking the facts. I happen to believe we are better than them, and we will win there. I base that on the few games I have watched of UNC-W this year and the fact that we have had a tougher conference slate than they have. I might be wrong, but it is not exactly outlandish to pick us to win there. 

2 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

This is a perfect example of how truly great social media posts can be. 
Very cool.  

I enjoyed both Kelsey's original post and Skerry's follow-up. Well done, and completely agree that this is a good job of having fun with these rivalries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

What exactly are we risking that weren't risking last week, the week before or the week before that? Guys can get injured playing basketball, but to be scared of the seems overly cautious.

I know moral victories don't count, but we have been very close to winning at Clemson, Hofstra and Drexel (who was undefeated in conference play until last week home) this year. I know we are terrible in close games and not great on the road. Why not try to put ourselves in position to play hard and try to overcome that since we won't be in the friendly confines of SECU for the CAA Tournament.

Charleston is an extremely tough game and obviously a longshot to win, but the fact that winning now hurts us in the tournament seems counter intuitive. I guarantee Hofstra has more confidence they can beat them from winning there. I think it is clear Hofstra and Charleston are better teams than we are, but I would feel better if we beat them went 2-2 against the conference's top teams and went into the CAA Tournament knowing we could have won any of the four games against them. How is it any harder to beat us three times if they already have two wins against us than it would be if we actually win at their place? That doesn't seem logical, and any explanation pretty much boils down to what you personally might think, not the way the team would actually approach it. 

As for UNC-W, their conference home wins have come against Elon, Monmouth, NC A&T, Northeastern and Hampton. They did play Charleston extremely tough at home (so did we), and they handed William & Mary their one conference road win of the year. Several people have railed on about how bad the conference is this year and your not wrong, but to look at the UNC-W home conference resume and say we have no chance to win there is cherry-picking the facts. I happen to believe we are better than them, and we will win there. I base that on the few games I have watched of UNC-W this year and the fact that we have had a tougher conference slate than they have. I might be wrong, but it is not exactly outlandish to pick us to win there. 

And our home wins are…?  Take out Hofstra, it’s the same.  
Never said uncw is better than us. They are tough at home and are good in tight games. Also they are battle tested.  They are like us where they have some head scratchers, like Delaware the other day

49 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

And our home wins are…?  Take out Hofstra, it’s the same.  
Never said uncw is better than us. They are tough at home and are good in tight games. Also they are battle tested.  They are like us where they have some head scratchers, like Delaware the other day

Totally agree that they are battle-tested and when it comes to their overall play on the road they have the third-best road record in the league, which is the biggest reason they are among the top teams in the conference. That is something they have done much better than us. My only point is there is nothing about their conference home form that tells me this an improbable game to win. I am mostly reacting to the fact that this game is one that we have no chance of winning. I think we have a very good chance to win this game. 

I wasn't trying to compare home to home records in conference play, but if we are I do think our resume is better at this point. We are the only 8-1 road team in the league right now (I imagine Hofstra, Charleston and probably Drexel join us by week's end). We have wins over Hofstra and Drexel (who actually is terrible on the road, but is a top 5 team in the league). Of course, UNC-W didn't get a crack at Hofstra, Delaware or Drexel at home so they very well could have the two higher quality wins we have. Our margin of victory is 13.6 at home and theirs is at 9.1. None of this really matters, but I just wanted to show the comparison that right now we definitely do have the better conference home court. 

To the point you are making, we have nothing on our resume on the road as good as their Drexel win last week or the Bahamas Tournament they won with wins over Missouri State, Vermont and North Texas (which I believe is the conference's highest NET win at this point). 

Sorry to hijack the Charleston thread with this. Hopefully, some of our bench guys can travel a little better than they have so far this year. To me things like that, cutting down on turnovers and mistakes, and trying to win a tight ball game tomorrow or Saturday are what would help us as we head to the conference tournament. Will it change who we are as a team over this whole season? Probably not, but you can always try to improve until your time runs out.  

55 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Totally agree that they are battle-tested and when it comes to their overall play on the road they have the third-best road record in the league, which is the biggest reason they are among the top teams in the conference. That is something they have done much better than us. My only point is there is nothing about their conference home form that tells me this an improbable game to win. I am mostly reacting to the fact that this game is one that we have no chance of winning. I think we have a very good chance to win this game. 

I wasn't trying to compare home to home records in conference play, but if we are I do think our resume is better at this point. We are the only 8-1 road team in the league right now (I imagine Hofstra, Charleston and probably Drexel join us by week's end). We have wins over Hofstra and Drexel (who actually is terrible on the road, but is a top 5 team in the league). Of course, UNC-W didn't get a crack at Hofstra, Delaware or Drexel at home so they very well could have the two higher quality wins we have. Our margin of victory is 13.6 at home and theirs is at 9.1. None of this really matters, but I just wanted to show the comparison that right now we definitely do have the better conference home court. 

To the point you are making, we have nothing on our resume on the road as good as their Drexel win last week or the Bahamas Tournament they won with wins over Missouri State, Vermont and North Texas (which I believe is the conference's highest NET win at this point). 

Sorry to hijack the Charleston thread with this. Hopefully, some of our bench guys can travel a little better than they have so far this year. To me things like that, cutting down on turnovers and mistakes, and trying to win a tight ball game tomorrow or Saturday are what would help us as we head to the conference tournament. Will it change who we are as a team over this whole season? Probably not, but you can always try to improve until your time runs out.  

Seeing all the social media posts from our team down in Charleston today the one thing that struck me besides it obviously being a warmer weather environment for them all was that the team looked super happy and confident to me and just maybe this group is ready to play themselves into a final game on March 7th!

6 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Seeing all the social media posts from our team down in Charleston today the one thing that struck me besides it obviously being a warmer weather environment for them all was that the team looked super happy and confident to me and just maybe this group is ready to play themselves into a final game on March 7th!

Looks like they are staying in a nice Airbnb with a pool. Good for them, they deserve a “vacation” after grinding all year in the classroom and on the court. I Hope Pat Skerry is generous with his fat salary taking the team out to steak dinners 

• Like 1

Everyone on here wants to win the tournament yet thinking that this bunch can just throw in the towel this week and then show up next week strong seems like fantasy.  The biggest flaw with this team is its inability to win tight games.  We have some bad losses against lesser opponents, but the thing that most sticks out is the tight games.  We could have won all of them and that is not just wishful thinking.  Yet this team's marginal flaws (Holden and Thompson foul shooting, Holden turnovers, no other 3 pt shooters showing up to help Timberlake, Thompson taking bad shots to far in the paint, young guys having silly turnovers like Conway and Hicks, Holden losing his cool).  For the tight games, these things showed up and caused us to lose.  They didn't necessarily all show up but enough of them showed up to drop all of the tight games.  If we are going to have some magical run you have to go into the tournament with confidence and you have to believe you can beat the top teams.  I don't care where we finish in the tournament absent winning the entire thing.  We could have beat Charleston the first time from the game I watched and it didn't look like we were getting lucky.  Likewise we could have beat Hofstra a second time.  This team needs to learn how to play with less mistakes in tight games against the top teams in the conference.    

• Like 1

While I do think tonight is going to be an uphill battle, I absolutely believe that we can win. Going into their house and leaving with a W would be huge for the boys. I'm not sure I buy into the logic that winning tonight will make it harder to beat them again if we see them in the tournament. I think that proving we can run with and beat the top teams in the conference could be a huge confidence boost as we get closer to DC. Could just be that I don't see any games as meaningless and always want to see us win, period. 

Side note, is there a reason that Towson doesn't sell jerseys? Drives me nuts.

• Like 2