• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Charleston II preview

40 minutes ago, Blounge said:

I can’t remember, did Gibson play in the first Charleston game or was he out at that point?

He did not.   I just remember us shooting 7-13 from 3 and still losing. 

1 hour ago, omniland said:

Everyone on here wants to win the tournament yet thinking that this bunch can just throw in the towel this week and then show up next week strong seems like fantasy.  The biggest flaw with this team is its inability to win tight games.  We have some bad losses against lesser opponents, but the thing that most sticks out is the tight games.  We could have won all of them and that is not just wishful thinking.  Yet this team's marginal flaws (Holden and Thompson foul shooting, Holden turnovers, no other 3 pt shooters showing up to help Timberlake, Thompson taking bad shots to far in the paint, young guys having silly turnovers like Conway and Hicks, Holden losing his cool).  For the tight games, these things showed up and caused us to lose.  They didn't necessarily all show up but enough of them showed up to drop all of the tight games.  If we are going to have some magical run you have to go into the tournament with confidence and you have to believe you can beat the top teams.  I don't care where we finish in the tournament absent winning the entire thing.  We could have beat Charleston the first time from the game I watched and it didn't look like we were getting lucky.  Likewise we could have beat Hofstra a second time.  This team needs to learn how to play with less mistakes in tight games against the top teams in the conference.    

I don’t think anyone disagrees. But your last sentence sums it up.  It’s game 30 tonight and we haven’t figure that out yet. What makes you think we will if we haven’t by now?  Hence in dc when the pressure of a close game happens, we collapse 

23 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I don’t think anyone disagrees. But your last sentence sums it up.  It’s game 30 tonight and we haven’t figure that out yet. What makes you think we will if we haven’t by now?  Hence in dc when the pressure of a close game happens, we collapse 

I think we all kind of agree on that, but it is two more games against a pair of good teams that we very likely could face in DC, so why not try to see if we can figure out something and find a spark that could help in the tournament. I don't really see any downside to that. Even if we all agree that we pretty much are what we are at this point, we may as well give max effort the rest of the way no matter what the situation and see where the chips fall.

The good news to this point is we generally play really tight games on the road. That means technically we are closer than we would be Hofstra and Drexel had beat us by 20 when we faced them on the road. However, I think we have all documented in some form why it is a hard hump to get over, and it is not like we will acquire player in the next day or so that will change that. We just have to hope the players meet the moment and figure something out, which I do realize would buck the general trends of our program and this year. 

Some teams underachieve in the regular season and they get hot in the tournament like the chickens last year. Not saying we’re as talented as Delaware was last season, but it has happened.

• Like 2

2022: Won last 7 in a row - first round of CAAT struggled vs 8 seed and lost by double digits vs Hens who we beat by 25 in a half days before

2021Won last game before 2 week COVID shutdown - CAAT blown out by Elon

2020: Won last 3 including last game of year vs NE - CAAT blown out by NE

2019: Consistently bad all year - Lost PIG on JMU last second 3

2018: Pat had lost lockeroom here - finished 2-6 down stretch - blown out by W&M in 4-5 game

2017: Lost last 2 of regular season - best performance under Skerry in CAAT - blew out NE and then lost close one to Chealey, Riller, Brantley in their backyard

2016: Won 4 of last 6  - CAAT blown out by NE

2015: Consistently bad all year - Lost PIG in OT to Elon

2014: Won last 6 - CAAT won slopfest vs 7 seed JMU and lost to Tribe who they beat a week earlier

This weekend is meaningless - Skerry teams playing good ball do not carry their momentum into tourney

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Royal Tiger said:

2022: Won last 7 in a row - first round of CAAT struggled vs 8 seed and lost by double digits vs Hens who we beat by 25 in a half days before

2021Won last game before 2 week COVID shutdown - CAAT blown out by Elon

2020: Won last 3 including last game of year vs NE - CAAT blown out by NE

2019: Consistently bad all year - Lost PIG on JMU last second 3

2018: Pat had lost lockeroom here - finished 2-6 down stretch - blown out by W&M in 4-5 game

2017: Lost last 2 of regular season - best performance under Skerry in CAAT - blew out NE and then lost close one to Chealey, Riller, Brantley in their backyard

2016: Won 4 of last 6  - CAAT blown out by NE

2015: Consistently bad all year - Lost PIG in OT to Elon

2014: Won last 6 - CAAT won slopfest vs 7 seed JMU and lost to Tribe who they beat a week earlier

This weekend is meaningless - Skerry teams playing good ball do not carry their momentum into tourney

Good research. Sobering that 2017 would be considered our “best” CAAT performance under Skerry. I’ll be pleased as punch if we win these last 2 games and content if we split. But your point is well taken, that even if we somehow sweep, it’s far from a guarantee that the momentum of having done so will carryover into DC. By the same token, if we get sweeped in these last two games, hopefully that will not have a carryover effect 

• Like 1

So basically we can’t win for losing. If we shock the world tonight, some will question why we tried to win. Rest up for the tournament. If we lose by a few points, some will say they can’t win close games. If we get blown out, we’ll hear fraud, can’t win on the road, blah, blah, blah.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

So basically we can’t win for losing. If we shock the world tonight, some will question why we tried to win. Rest up for the tournament. If we lose by a few points, some will say they can’t win close games. If we get blown out, we’ll hear fraud, can’t win on the road, blah, blah, blah.

I don’t necessarily see it that way. In the immortal words of Al Davis, “just win baby.” If we do, it would be difficult to quantify how this hurt us, if we flop in the tournament. Now, if we lose close, I agree that that plays into the narrative that we can’t win the close ones. If we lose, so be it. We’re playing a damn good team on the road, and a L doesn’t drop us out of the top 4. We’re all probably guilty to some degree (including me) of over analyzing this. 

12 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I don’t necessarily see it that way. In the immortal words of Al Davis, “just win baby.” If we do, it would be difficult to quantify how this hurt us, if we flop in the tournament. Now, if we lose close, I agree that that plays into the narrative that we can’t win the close ones. If we lose, so be it. We’re playing a damn good team on the road, and a L doesn’t drop us out of the top 4. We’re all probably guilty to some degree (including me) of over analyzing this. 

We agree. You play to win the games. You don’t play until next Sunday so there’s no rest issues. I don’t care about momentum. Now will the key players show up on national tv?