• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB Collapses in 2nd half against Charleston 83-75

46 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Nick has been terrific

He’s averaging 19.5 ppg in conference play. Now top 10 in scoring in school history. He stayed from start to finish. Sure, every now and then he has a crap game, but he deserves a helluva lot of credit and I wish him nothing but success going forward 

• Like 4

Plenty of blame to go around for last night's loss and so many other losses, but if I were to single one thing out (it's related to the poor free-throw shooting) it's Cam weakness as a back-to-the-basket offensive threat -- and his REPEATED failed efforts to finish. His 2-11 shooting wasn't an aberration. (His rare better-shooting nights -- say, against W&M at home -- are the aberration.) He just won't admit to himself that this isn't his strength and so he should be finding others rather than hunt his own shot. Along with the FG misses, his trips to the FT line -- when he gets them -- amount to empty possessions. On top of all that, his mounting frustration leads to stupid fouls and almost to a brawl last night. I though he deserved a T after getting tangled up with Bolen under the basket, and then falling on him. IT'S THE COACHES JOB TO REIN HIM IN, to insist on an offensive game plan where Cam doesn't try to be what he's not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerFan54 said:

Plenty of blame to go around for last night's loss and so many other losses, but if I were to single one thing out (it's related to the poor free-throw shooting) it's Cam weakness as a back-to-the-basket offensive threat -- and his REPEATED failed efforts to finish. His 2-11 shooting wasn't an aberration. (His rare better-shooting nights -- say, against W&M at home -- are the aberration.) He just won't admit to himself that this isn't his strength and so he should be finding others rather than hunt his own shot. Along with the FG misses, his trips to the FT line -- when he gets them -- amount to empty possessions. On top of all that, his mounting frustration leads to stupid fouls and almost to a brawl last night. I though he deserved a T after getting tangled up with Bolen under the basket, and then falling on him. IT'S THE COACHES JOB TO REIN HIM IN, to insist on an offensive game plan where Cam doesn't try to be what he's not.

Spot on. His triple double game was great, but, objectively speaking, he’s simply not a good shooter. I was surprised that his shooting % is as high (41%) as it is, given his struggles. And his foul shooting-well, it speaks for itself.  We’ll miss his ability to facilitate next year, but it might be a case of addition by subtraction 

You are not going to have a perfect game, yet another example of showing that we have the talent and we are not far off from being right there with Charleston and Hofstra.  It took a lot of talent to be up on Charleston all those minutes.  But good teams are not going to quit.  They are going to have their runs.  We are going to have slumps.  It will always come down to small things when you play close games against good opponents.  There were terrible passes and ill-advised shots in this one however foul shots made the difference.  Unlike the other areas, foul shots are hard to correct.  It would be like telling someone they better get better at shooting 3 pointers.  Some just can't do it.  The two players that are able to pick up fouls more than anyone else are our worst foul shooters.  This is a real problem.  The others teams just need to rotate players in to foul both Thompson and Holden and you pretty much have a 75% chance converting that possession into a turnover.  Whether they miss both on a two point attempt or the front end of a one and one.  We can get lucky one night where Thompson and Holden shoot great from the line.  They have done so, but it is rare.  I'm not sure how playing Hofstra and Charleston is not going to come down to just a few points.

• Like 1

Cam and Charles need to practice 1,000 free throws a day from here on out. Teams that are smart can just foul those two and know it is a great play defensively as it will most likely result in 0-1 points. I really thought Cam and Dalton Bolon were going to fist fight the way they were going at it when they ended up on top of each other. 

I like that we were able to hang tough and get up 10 in the second half; but just like at UMD years ago that wasn’t good enough for a win.

Even the Towson horse is calling for Pat Skerrys job to be on the hot seat if there is another CAA tournament flop! Not a good sign for Pat to have his guys loose and not tightly wound in the tournament.

hope is not a strategy, but we better hope for some good fortune in DC

I jumped on the Charleston -2.5 at halftime.  We've all seen this movie before and it ends the same way.  Money in my pocket > than rooting for the alma mater right now.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, omniland said:

You are not going to have a perfect game, yet another example of showing that we have the talent and we are not far off from being right there with Charleston and Hofstra.  It took a lot

I doubt anyone is holding the team to the standard of expecting them to play a “perfect game.”  What we all want, after over a decade of consistently losing games like last night, is to win some of these type games, especially in the conference tournament. 

As for showing that “we’re not far off from being right there with Charleston and Hofstra,” good grief, is that really our measuring stick for success after all these years?  “We’re TU. We’re just good enough to lose close games to the best teams in our conference.” 

Edited by TSU88

14 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I doubt anyone is holding the team to the standard of expecting them to play a “perfect game.”  What we all want, after over a decade of consistently losing games like last night, is to win some of these type games, especially in the conference tournament. 

As for showing that “we’re not far off from being right there with Charleston and Hofstra,” good grief, is that really our measuring stick for success after all these years?  “We’re TU. We’re just good enough to lose close games to the best teams in our conference.” 

I mean Hofstra and Charleston are coached by guys who have been there for years.. oh wait, They are in their second years…

northeastern, Hofstra, Drexel, Delaware, Jmu, vcu, wm, uncw, Elon and Charleston all have been to a final during the Skerry era 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

One other thought: In post-game interview after post-game interview, PS keeps saying that "we're not there YET," as if he's waiting for some magic key to be turned, but this team has showed us all season long who they are. Think back to the Albany game, where we were clearly just a weak imitation of last year's team at its best. That disappointing performance has repeated itself over and over, even in wins (UNCG). I had plenty of complaints about Nolan, Gray and Rizzutto, but their replacements this year -- Sylla, Russell/May, Hicks -- are a steep drop-off (occasional flashes notwithstanding). The upshot is that our so-called big three have felt the need to carry a bigger load. Other than Nic, and Cam or CT occasionally, the burden has produced lesser play. 

So, I'm not just being glum when I say my expectations are shot. Having said that, I shudder to think what next season will bring. I guess hope doesn't spring eternal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1