• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB comes back from 14 point second half deficit to beat UNCW 57-53

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=426900&_gl=1*1rmykyy*_ga*MTQ3MDQwOTE5LjE2NjM0NDU4MTg.*_ga_2ZWVK1X7BJ*MTY3NzM3ODY3MC4yNi4wLjE2NzczNzg2NzAuMC4wLjA.

Towson was down 51-38 with 11:12 left in the game at UNCW. Nicolas Timberlake had four fouls and just one basket. Things looked bleak but the Tigers went on a 15-2 run capped off by a Christian May game-tying three-pointer, as the Tigers found a way to beat the Seahawks 57-53. Cam Holden led the Tigers with 22 points and 11 rebounds as Towson finished at 20-11 overall and 12-6 in the CAA. They finish as the third seed, which places them at 8:30pm on a Sunday night.

Here is Pat after the game on TSN

"Proudof our guys. Finished the regular season the right way. That was our motto. I told them at the half. We have nice guys. We're not tough enough to win this game. Told Steve (Eigenbrot) Really proud." 

"Cam was tough. Charlie had a big second half. May's defense on Phillips and White was solid. He and Russell did a good job. Any time youg get to 20 wins is a good thing. Fought back. Carried things over with defense and rebounding. That's Towson basketball."

"Proud of our guys. Finished the regular season the right way. That was our motto. I told them at the half. We have nice guys. We're not tough enough to win this game. Told Steve. Really proud"

For all the times we get on them for coming up small in close games, they deserve praise for rallying from a 13-point deficit in a hostile environment against a 20 W team. Any suggestion we should have tanked, with an eye toward more favorable seeding in the CAAT, is ridiculous. Competitors play to win. The Houston Texans lost the 1st pick in the upcoming draft by winning their last game of the season. Do you think their players gave a rats ass about losing that pick? Of course not, because they played to win the game. 

If I’m not mistaken, we’ll play the DE vs NE winner. Not crazy about having to play DE, although NE split with DE during the regular season, and the game they lost, they only lost by 3. If we had lost tonight, we probably would have had to play Drexel, which I don’t think is a particularly good matchup for us. They have the best big in the conference, along with this kid Butler, who’s avg 26ppg his last 3 games. It’s no exaggeration to say he might be the hottest player in the country at the moment. I’ll worry about having to play C of C if we make it that far, but for tonight, let’s be satisfied with the W, in a game where our leading scorer had 1 basket (though he was fantastic from the foul line). Holden almost single handedly willed us to the W, although I thought he got away with a technical foul when he kneed their player, who was down on the floor at the time (when he got away with it, I admit I chuckled). CT came around in the 2nd half, Russell had a decent game & of course May hit the huge 3 late to tie the game. 

Alright, onto the District 

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 4

You play to win the tournament, not the game. IMHO tonight's win was a strong indication of the low basketball IQ this staff has. Oustide of those of you who hang a banner for 20 wins, nobody will remember this game in a week.  Praise the fight, celebrate the win, 57 points will be lucky to lose by single digits next weekend. We were set up perfectly for a path of Drexel who has been horrid outside of the DAC (maybe even Monmouth or Hampton who they recently lost to both), shut down Hofstra on fresher legs who we've outplayed 7 of the last 8 halves, then go to battle with 30 win Charleston who may have had that false safety net belief judging by press clippings of "30 wins and make it to finals, we deserve to be in". Instead we have maybe finally fully healthy defending champs with a great guard and big of their own. Maybe they'll slip up, oh great then we have Coen and Co, sure he'll be an easy tournament matchup for us. If can get by quarters then have the battle with Charleston going for that magic number 30. If pull the shocker there after what is likely to be extremely physical, then less than 24 hours later have to shut down 2x POY and his Robin.

That is last I will bring up tanking, as moot point now. Will be in DC each night we play next week rooting for the best. I don't think some of you realize the magnitude of next weekend. This conference is only adding more teams, as long as Kelsey and Charleston stay, they will be at the top. Uncw and hofstra also likely to stay strong right behind. Delaware cares, will see if W&M recommits to basketball. Monmouth and stony brook had extreme rebuilds this year, but are good programs that will be back. Who knows with portal but next year(s) looks like rebuild for us. It's not unrealistic to be skeptical if we can finish outside of the pig again under skerry. It's now or never Patrick.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Royal Tiger said:

That is last I will bring up tanking, as moot point now. 

I’ll concede it is certainly possible we’d been better off squaring off vs Drexel (assuming they even win their first game, as you point out) followed by Hofstra, but how would the coaching staff have pulled off losing tonight? I mean it almost happened organically, but I guess they could have benched the so-called “big 3” when we were down 13, but I wonder what kind of message such a blatant maneuver would have sent to the team? It was the last regular season game in the career of a bunch of players on the team; hard to sabotage their chances of winning tonight. I get the “bigger picture” argument, but while we’re playing the “what if “ game, what if we lost tonight and went into DC lacking confidence? It’s all water under the bridge now. We’ll never know how it might have played out if we had lost tonight, so probably best to put it in the rear view mirror and move on 

7 minutes ago, Royal Tiger said:

You play to win the tournament, not the game. IMHO tonight's win was a strong indication of the low basketball IQ this staff has. Oustide of those of you who hang a banner for 20 wins, nobody will remember this game in a week.  Praise the fight, celebrate the win, 57 points will be lucky to lose by single digits next weekend. We were set up perfectly for a path of Drexel who has been horrid outside of the DAC (maybe even Monmouth or Hampton who they recently lost to both), shut down Hofstra on fresher legs who we've outplayed 7 of the last 8 halves, then go to battle with 30 win Charleston who may have had that false safety net belief judging by press clippings of "30 wins and make it to finals, we deserve to be in". Instead we have maybe finally fully healthy defending champs with a great guard and big of their own. Maybe they'll slip up, oh great then we have Coen and Co, sure he'll be an easy tournament matchup for us. If can get by quarters then have the battle with Charleston going for that magic number 30. If pull the shocker there after what is likely to be extremely physical, then less than 24 hours later have to shut down 2x POY and his Robin.

That is last I will bring up tanking, as moot point now. Will be in DC each night we play next week rooting for the best. I don't think some of you realize the magnitude of next weekend. This conference is only adding more teams, as long as Kelsey and Charleston stay, they will be at the top. Uncw and hofstra also likely to stay strong right behind. Delaware cares, will see if W&M recommits to basketball. Monmouth and stony brook had extreme rebuilds this year, but are good programs that will be back. Who knows with portal but next year(s) looks like rebuild for us. It's not unrealistic to be skeptical if we can finish outside of the pig again under skerry. It's now or never Patrick.

"You play to win the tournament, not the game. IMHO tonight's win was a strong indication of the low basketball IQ this staff has. Oustide of those of you who hang a banner for 20 wins, nobody will remember this game in a week.  That is last I will bring up tanking"

WOW. you really wanted to LOSE?  lose on purpose = loser.  what a d-baggery comment post after a great come from behind win on da road (and amazing Cam-show).  i'm da glass half -full guy (mostly cause i keep re-filling) but you are the shit-colored glasses guy fo sure.  anyone here that dumps on 20wins for TOWSON....TOWSON (i've researched the records of the other coaching staffs prior to this one -  do-do); ...i'll be graduated - but it's gonna suck when guys like you run this staff outta town; and we return to shitsville and i gotta be embarrassed for 6-20 seasons.  Have you been to Charleston?....Boston...New York?  my last  president called the large city 20mins from us the murder capital of the USA; GET a GRIP!  aint ever gonna be Gonzaga.  20 wins per year and a CHANCE at the tournament is all you (well, a reasonable person) can ask for.  WE make fun of 20wins now?  lol.  Ask Univ of Pitt (who we almost beat) if they miss they 20+ a year from their last staff, or if they are happy running that guy out cause he never "won a final 4" . SMH, good for SMU (same story here, lower level.   absolute idiots).  

excited for Sunday, super jacked.  i'll be there - and Nick, Cam, CT & crew have a chance (CHANCE - all you can ask, reasonably) to do something special.  Shit on'm if they choke - but the 5'ish miserables/negative nancys here wanna bury them before tip-off?  Fine.  you bring your shovels, i'll bring my pom-poms.  will join the disappointed if we lose, fall short of the big dance (absolute goal fo show).  but will never join the disillusioned.  smh.   

#Cam4Pres  #Nick4NBA #bringbackCT  #MayPOY 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1