• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB comes back from 14 point second half deficit to beat UNCW 57-53

41 minutes ago, Royal Tiger said:

You play to win the tournament, not the game. IMHO tonight's win was a strong indication of the low basketball IQ this staff has. Oustide of those of you who hang a banner for 20 wins, nobody will remember this game in a week.  Praise the fight, celebrate the win, 57 points will be lucky to lose by single digits next weekend. We were set up perfectly for a path of Drexel who has been horrid outside of the DAC (maybe even Monmouth or Hampton who they recently lost to both), shut down Hofstra on fresher legs who we've outplayed 7 of the last 8 halves, then go to battle with 30 win Charleston who may have had that false safety net belief judging by press clippings of "30 wins and make it to finals, we deserve to be in". Instead we have maybe finally fully healthy defending champs with a great guard and big of their own. Maybe they'll slip up, oh great then we have Coen and Co, sure he'll be an easy tournament matchup for us. If can get by quarters then have the battle with Charleston going for that magic number 30. If pull the shocker there after what is likely to be extremely physical, then less than 24 hours later have to shut down 2x POY and his Robin.

That is last I will bring up tanking, as moot point now. Will be in DC each night we play next week rooting for the best. I don't think some of you realize the magnitude of next weekend. This conference is only adding more teams, as long as Kelsey and Charleston stay, they will be at the top. Uncw and hofstra also likely to stay strong right behind. Delaware cares, will see if W&M recommits to basketball. Monmouth and stony brook had extreme rebuilds this year, but are good programs that will be back. Who knows with portal but next year(s) looks like rebuild for us. It's not unrealistic to be skeptical if we can finish outside of the pig again under skerry. It's now or never Patrick.

Any team that wants to win this tournament outside of the top two is likely going to have to beat Hofstra and Charleston in some order. I agree Hofstra is a better matchup for us than Charleston, but it is dumb to sit guys or try to lose just to make that matchup happen. Especially because both will be extremely hard to beat anyways.

It is not a Hofstra is a team we could easily beat, we just match up fairly well with them. In fact, the script of our loss on the road to Charleston and Hofstra played out almost the exact same way. No matter who we play, we have to shoot well from the free-throw line, limit our turnovers, and have a distributed scoring effort where guys other than the main three step up. Heck, we probably even need that in the quarterfinal matchup to make sure we win.

As for the difference between Delaware, Drexel, or for that matter Northeastern they are all teams we should beat if we show up to play, but who also terrify me in the first round of a tournament format. Honestly, this team has a lot to clean up to make sure they show up as the best version of themselves than they do figuring out how to get cute with matchups. 

That was gutsy effort to come back and win tonight. It was amazing that UNC-Wilmington went that cold down the stretch, the goaltending call got reversed (one angle looked like goaltending on the broadcast and other didn't), and that they did not go back to review Cam kneeing the guy in the head (although it would have been tough to assume intent, even though it looked like it might have been intentional).

Still, give Christian May credit for knocking down the big three that tied it, Timberlake immense credit for hitting his free throws to keep us in it and eventually push us ahead, and even though he was a little out of control at times give Cam credit for taking over on offense to try to make things happen (I just wish I could see him hit the front end of a one-on-one at some point). 

Didn’t get to watch this one live but just caught the replay on everyone’s favorite, flo. 

1. That was one of the ugliest games I’ve ever seen. Not just a Towson game. I’m talking any sport. All around ugliness, tigers Seahawks, coaches. Refs. 

2. Anyone else who watched this game, did you get a weird feeling about the competitiveness?  We talked about these games not meaning anything but there was some strange things going on tonight.  Neither team looked like they “wanted to win.” Neither team is that bad. Missing wide open layups. Suspect turnovers.  Clanking ton of fts. Really makes you wonder..

3. This team this year isn't going to faultier because of pat, shooting, choking, no go to guys etc. it’s going to be one of two players doing something really f’ing stupid. That’s what’s going to hurt us.  I think we all like the toughness skerry has instilled and we have this reputation for playing a certain way, but there’s a fine line between playing hard and physical and playing dirty.  Last night that was disgraceful. Two hot heads who have never been reeled in since there seems to be a lack of leadership. 

4. Great to win a close game and come from behind. I don’t think we are ever going to come in clutch but it is nice when another team throws up on themselves late (intentional or not), instead of us. 

5. it’s always great to beat uncw and their blowhole fans. That will never get old. Was a big shot from the freshman to tie it up. As mat says in the chat, he needs to do something more than stand in the corner on offense.  His d late on the smaller quicker guards was very good 

6. Of course by winning we get a much more difficult draw in our first game, assuming the hens beat the huskies.  Championship pedigree from last year and they are finally at full strength, which we haven’t seen them with full compliment of players. Yes JNJ and LJ should both play, baring some injury on Saturday.  That is a scary team. 

7. I look forward to nick farar torching us next year at Elon as he continues his Carolina transfer tour.

8  I also look forward to the 20 win celebratory parade down York road, Bay Area, crab cakes and beers are on me

7 hours ago, TTiger2024 said:

"You play to win the tournament, not the game. IMHO tonight's win was a strong indication of the low basketball IQ this staff has. Oustide of those of you who hang a banner for 20 wins, nobody will remember this game in a week.  That is last I will bring up tanking"

WOW. you really wanted to LOSE?  lose on purpose = loser.  what a d-baggery comment post after a great come from behind win on da road (and amazing Cam-show).  i'm da glass half -full guy (mostly cause i keep re-filling) but you are the shit-colored glasses guy fo sure.  anyone here that dumps on 20wins for TOWSON....TOWSON (i've researched the records of the other coaching staffs prior to this one -  do-do); ...i'll be graduated - but it's gonna suck when guys like you run this staff outta town; and we return to shitsville and i gotta be embarrassed for 6-20 seasons.  Have you been to Charleston?....Boston...New York?  my last  president called the large city 20mins from us the murder capital of the USA; GET a GRIP!  aint ever gonna be Gonzaga.  20 wins per year and a CHANCE at the tournament is all you (well, a reasonable person) can ask for.  WE make fun of 20wins now?  lol.  Ask Univ of Pitt (who we almost beat) if they miss they 20+ a year from their last staff, or if they are happy running that guy out cause he never "won a final 4" . SMH, good for SMU (same story here, lower level.   absolute idiots).  

excited for Sunday, super jacked.  i'll be there - and Nick, Cam, CT & crew have a chance (CHANCE - all you can ask, reasonably) to do something special.  Shit on'm if they choke - but the 5'ish miserables/negative nancys here wanna bury them before tip-off?  Fine.  you bring your shovels, i'll bring my pom-poms.  will join the disappointed if we lose, fall short of the big dance (absolute goal fo show).  but will never join the disillusioned.  smh.   

#Cam4Pres  #Nick4NBA #bringbackCT  #MayPOY 

Lol. I can’t tell if your an actual Towson person, or some other fan just trying to troll. 

No one in the last decade plus has said we are going to be or should be the Gonzaga of the east. Let’s be honest, us real fans, aren’t even asking for multiple trips to the tourney and to win games there, we aren’t even asking to win the CAAT. We just want to play in the finals, something every other caa team has done in the last decade, besides us. 

20 win seasons are great. We didn’t have a lot prior to pat and now have 3 in his 12 years. 3. So let’s not pretend that we are always winning 20+. If winning 20 is the goal, we need to reevaluate things. 

Oh by the way, there’s a lot of hawks fans that want siddle gone.  Same up in Newark with inglesby. There are rumblings out of Boston to look for a coen replacement (Hopefully!) and pride fans were questioning if Mr. Flying Dutchman was the right guy for the job as recent as November. Those coaches have had way more success than pat. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Anyone else who watched this game, did you get a weird feeling about the competitiveness?  We talked about these games not meaning anything but there was some strange things going on tonight.  Neither team looked like they “wanted to win.” Neither team is that bad. Missing wide open layups. Suspect turnovers.  Clanking ton of fts. Really makes you wonder

I don’t know if you watched the postgame on Flo, but the UNCW coach looked & sounded like he’d lost his girl, best friend and dog all in one evening. He didn’t come off as a guy who was actually not all that disappointed his team lost. I’m going to assume that both teams wanted to win. Irony, thy name is TU basketball (or at least some fans). I mean, after all the kvetching we do (and rightly so, for the most part) about not winning close games, there’s now this hand wringing by some that we shouldn’t have won a close one last night. No doubt, DE, C of C & presumably Hofstra is a gauntlet, but we’ll never know what would have happened if it had been Drexel, Hofstra and C of C instead, so there’s not much point in worrying about it.

And I share your concern in paragraph 3. It’s gotten to the point that I almost expect 55 to instigate a brawl just about every game. I still say we’re fortunate (depending on your perspective about whether you wanted us to win or not) that he didn’t get T’d up & tossed for the knee to the UNCW player. 

It’s gonna be March madness! Anarchy? Nope just college basketball. Anything can happen. Hard to speculate how the next 3 games play out. All we can do his prep, prepare, and pray. If we mix good free throw shooting, limit turnovers, and have Nic shooting like curry we will be in it with any team. If we play stupid, miss free throws, and have CT foul out we are in trouble. 

IMO this sets us up in the semis and finals how we’d want it. You want to play the deeper team earlier (Charleston) the play Hofstra in the finals who relies on 2 guys to carry them. It’ll be harder for Hofstra to win 3 in a row than us. 

Conway and May have been chipping in nicely. That 3 from May last night could be a nice confidence boost heading into next week. Glad to see Cam make some FTs tonight. Seeing those go in will be important as he’ll be the guy teams are fouling late in games. 

To me, winning last night is psychologically important from a confidence perspective. It matters more than “playing the bracket”. These are kids, their mental state and confidence weighs more than who we are playing. I don’t want to go into DC on a two game losing streak. 

Nothing else matters at this point. I feel like these guys know that it’s win 3 or the season is a disappointment. I’ve been saying it since October, making it to the finals is just not enough with the expectations this year. 

55 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I don’t know if you watched the postgame on Flo, but the UNCW coach looked & sounded like he’d lost his girl, best friend and dog all in one evening. He didn’t come off as a guy who was actually not all that disappointed his team lost. I’m going to assume that both teams wanted to win. Irony, thy name is TU basketball (or at least some fans). I mean, after all the kvetching we do (and rightly so, for the most part) about not winning close games, there’s now this hand wringing by some that we shouldn’t have won a close one last night. No doubt, DE, C of C & presumably Hofstra is a gauntlet, but we’ll never know what would have happened if it had been Drexel, Hofstra and C of C instead, so there’s not much point in worrying about it.

And I share your concern in paragraph 3. It’s gotten to the point that I almost expect 55 to instigate a brawl just about every game. I still say we’re fortunate (depending on your perspective about whether you wanted us to win or not) that he didn’t get T’d up & tossed for the knee to the UNCW player. 

I did not. Not saying the coaches didn’t want to win. Or the players. Just a lot of the play, really made me question some things.  They are d1 basketball players, and yes they are human, but they are d1… head scratching to say the least.

I would have preferred Drexel over Delaware. One has better players who have been there before and are getting healthy.  The other is a bit banged up. Should be some good matchups. 

Yeah, there’s a line between physical and dirty. He and that 30 year old on Charleston walk that line every game. Just really hope it doesn’t hurt us

Clearly a very nice win. We will see if the momentum carries the Tigers forward. 

It is also noteworthy that 11 solid minutes does not a season make. We tend to forget all the things that caused us to be skeptical. Thursday, the kid May was a bum. He makes a three and suddenly he 8s Pete Maravich. Let’s just see how this all plays out.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Anyone else who watched this game, did you get a weird feeling about the competitiveness?  We talked about these games not meaning anything but there was some strange things going on tonight.  Neither team looked like they “wanted to win.” Neither team is that bad. Missing wide open layups. Suspect turnovers.  Clanking ton of fts. Really makes you wonder..

I know you’re not suggesting (at least directly 😆) that there were purposeful missed shots and turnovers, as that’s just a bounce pass away from convening a grand jury over point shaving allegations 😆.  And assuming any coach were stupid enough to tell players to do so, it’s highly unlikely that would remain secret. I suppose the way to go about such a thing would have been to bench key players (a poster on the UNCW was lamenting that Farrar & Harvey, who scored 25% of their points last night) didn’t get more minutes, but I think they both played more minutes last night than they’ve averaged on the season). 

It’s senior night at Trask in front of a capacity (or near capacity) crowd. The UNCW players were certainly mugging and yukking it up in the 1st half, when they were having their way.  Now, it’s true they scored a paltry 17 points in the 2nd half, but they’re not a particularly good offensive team to begin with. Their leading scorer averages what, 14ppg? It was even interesting to me that during his postgame interview on Flo, Siddle didn’t even make the perfunctory “give credit to Towson” comment, instead blaming his players for missing layups (I don’t remember all these missed layups he alluded to, but I guess I’d have to go back and watch the replay). 

What I’m trying to say is that by all appearances, both teams were all in last night, notwithstanding missed shots and turnovers