• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Next season

I know this season is not over yet, but I think there are two scenarios for next season: With CT and without him. Obviously, the team would be in dire straits without him and would be searching for two bigs instead of one. Also in desperate need of a long 4 and a three who can score off the dribble. I think May can play either wing spot though he's going to need to improve his handle a ton and add strength. Unlike most young players who have to work on defense, he could be a solid 3&D guy next season. I assume Paar won't be back and not sure about Coleman. One walk-on I've never really investigated is 6-6 Malik Missouri. He got an offer from St John's and is out of Gillman. Not saying he should get a full ride, but who knows. We might need seven scholarship players

With CT

C Charles T.,  transfer, C. Biekeu, Tyler Tejada (6-9, 225?)

PF Transfer, Tejada, Coleman

SF May, transfer, Mekhi Lowery (6-6, 175)

SG Conway, May, Jaiden Cole (6-4, 175)

PG Hicks, Williamson, Cole, Conway

Without CT

C Transfer, transfer, Biekeu

PF Transfer, Tejada

SF May, transfer, Lowery

SG Conway, Cole

PG Hicks, Williamson

Bottom line is that the staff has a ton of work to do and we are getting very close to the point where we can start tracking the enormous transfer portal, which will start sometime in March. They have to hit on at least 2 transfers. No excuse not to equal if not better transfers than we did two seasons ago because we were coming off a terrible season. Cam, Nolan, Paar and Rizzuto were solid transfers that came after the Covidy crappy 2020-21 season. 

At power forward, we need to replace Cam with a better shooter with a longer frame. At the wing, we desperately need a player who can put the ball on the deck and is athletic. I keep mentioning length but we don't have much of length on this team. It's possible, that we could be a better defensive team, other than Conway and May, we have no proven shooters (at least in terms of returning players). Cole has that length and ability to score, but you can't rely on freshmen as starters unless they are special talents. It's why Williamson will have a chance to win the point guard job even if Hicks has the experience. Personally, I'd rather add a veteran point guard who has some experience in the portal. Let's face it, PS was not thrilled with the backup situation at center when Charles was in foul trouble. I'd be shocked if he doesn't add a 5 that has some experience or one to groom as the future starter. My guess is that Tejada with his skills, will probably play more power forward at least early on his areer.

We know at this point that Sylla, Holden, Timberlake, Gibson (probably), Parr (probably), and Russell are not returning. That's six spots and three freshmen coming in. Plus, we almost always lose a player or two from the previous squad. So I'd say at minimum three transfers, but probably 4-5. If CT is not back, all bets are off with a new team.

27 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Regardless of who stays and goes, next year is going to be rough. 

You never know. Hope springs eternal that we’ll hit a couple of HR’s in the portal, to go with Conway, May, Williamson and what, at least on paper, looks like a promising incoming freshman class. And maybe the return of CT 

Edited by TSU88

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

You never know. Hope springs eternal that we’ll hit a couple of HR’s in the portal, to go with Conway, May, Williamson and what, at least on paper, looks like a promising incoming freshman class. And maybe the return of CT 

When we lost Benimon, Burwell, Damas and Guthrie, We replaced them with guys like Moto, Josh Ivory, Eddie Keith, Byron Hawkins, Jordan McNeill, Mike Morsell, AJ Astroth and Alex Gavrilovic. No wonder they were 12-20 and back then, we needed instant help so we got a grad student (Alex G.) and a juco guard in Ivory. Neither could play and that ship sunk. Moto worked out pretty well, but he was nowhere near Benimon and he had to sit out that season due to transfer rules. Had he played, we're not going 12-20. At least Morsell became a player and EK was solid, but that recruiting class was a mess and back then, transfers had to sit out. Now, it's the wild west. 

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2014-15

Updated barring anyone else leaving. 

Center: CT, Paar, Biekeu 

Power forward: Transfer, Coleman, Tejada

Small forward; May, transfer, Lowery

Shooting Guard: Conway, Cole

Point Guard: Hicks, Williamson