• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

8 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Baltimore native. Not much of a rebounder for his size

https://merrimackathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/ziggy-reid/11755

They were the actual winners of the NEC this year and not FDU. He could got from winning the tournament with a program not allowed to compete for stupid reasons to a program where fate conspires against us to ever make it back to the NCAA Tournament.  

13 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Well there goes someone from the D1 ranks who has a longer streak of not making the tournament than us. There are now 3 original teams without ever making it to the dance. 

legit question, why is this area so obsessed with local kids? How many of these local guys work out? Not many. Most kids don’t want to stay at home.  There’s plenty more talented players elsewhere. Need to look elsewhere. 

Nobody is obsessed with local kids. Just that some might want to transfer close to home.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Well there goes someone from the D1 ranks who has a longer streak of not making the tournament than us. There are now 3 original teams without ever making it to the dance. 

legit question, why is this area so obsessed with local kids? How many of these local guys work out? Not many. Most kids don’t want to stay at home.  There’s plenty more talented players elsewhere. Need to look elsewhere. 

Taking a look at our most recent/current roster it’s overwhelmingly local/regional. I don’t know what our (i.e. Pat’s) chances are of convincing kids from Milwaukee, Dallas, Los Angeles, etc. to come to Towson. I’m not sure a lot of talented kids are clamoring to transfer to Towson. That’s why it’s hard for me to get too excited by some of the posts on this thread about a portal player that’s “heard from Towson”…..along with 14 other schools including the likes of Vanderbilt, Clemson, Butler, etc….

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I think it’s logical to closely scrutinize kids from this area who are in the portal, in the event any of them are particularly keen on coming back home (family issues, for example). I think it’s also logical to look at kids we originally recruited, who are now in the portal, seeing as presumably each side has familiarity. While watching 1 of the NCAAT games the other day, it was interesting to hear one of the announcers explain how a kid on one of the teams (might have been San Diego State) was recruited by SDSU, but went elsewhere. The head coach told him something like, “good luck, but hey, keep us in mind, just in case for some reason things don’t work out for you at the school you chose over us.” Sure enough, things didn’t work out, and sure enough the kid wound up transferring to SDSU. 

One thing that’s always intrigued me about Skerry’s recruiting is the lack of players he’s brought in from Baltimore City. There was Mims, from Poly, and we know how that worked out. Am I forgetting anyone? He’s been big on the Philly area and the DC Catholic League and even Florida (EK, Prophete and the U brothers, Victor and Solomon). I get it that the top tier Baltimore kids aren’t coming here, but what about those in the 2nd tier? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AtlantaTiger said:

it’s hard for me to get too excited by some of the posts on this thread about a portal player that’s “heard from Towson”…..along with 14 other schools including the likes of Vanderbilt, Clemson, Butler, etc….

I share your thoughts. I chuckle every time I see a list of schools interested in a kid we’re interested in, because it seems invariably Arkansas and Clemson are interested in the kid too. Now, there are varying degrees of interest. And, if you don’t try, you don’t get. So, in the immortal words of that great philosopher Casey Kasem, “keep your feet on the ground, but keep reaching for the stars.” 😆 Or something like that 

Edited by TSU88

6 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I think it’s logical to closely scrutinize kids from this area who are in the portal, in the event any of them are particularly keen on coming back home (family issues, for example). I think it’s also logical to look at kids we originally recruited, who are now in the portal, seeing as presumably each side has familiarity. While watching 1 of the NCAAT games the other day, it was interesting to hear one of the announcers explain how a kid on one of the teams (might have been San Diego State) was recruited by SDSU, but went elsewhere. The head coach told him something like, “good luck, but hey, keep us in mind, just in case for some reason things don’t work out for you at the school you chose over us.” Sure enough, things didn’t work out, and sure enough the kid wound up transferring to SDSU. 

One thing that’s always intrigued me about Skerry’s recruiting is the lack of players he’s brought in from Baltimore City. There was Mims, from Poly, and we know how that worked out. Am I forgetting anyone? He’s been big on the Philly area and the DC Catholic League and even Florida (EK, Prophete and the U brothers, Victor and Solomon). I get it that the top tier Baltimore kids aren’t coming here, but what about those in the 2nd tier? 

Nolan, Conway, Curtis Holland ( Southern in Anne Arundel), Jordan McNeil, Gorham, 

1 hour ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Taking a look at our most recent/current roster it’s overwhelmingly local/regional. I don’t know what our (i.e. Pat’s) chances are of convincing kids from Milwaukee, Dallas, Los Angeles, etc. to come to Towson. I’m not sure a lot of talented kids are clamoring to transfer to Towson. That’s why it’s hard for me to get too excited by some of the posts on this thread about a portal player that’s “heard from Towson”…..along with 14 other schools including the likes of Vanderbilt, Clemson, Butler, etc….

Holden was from Georgia,Cole is from Toronto, and Lowery is from Chicago.

4 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Nolan, Conway, Curtis Holland ( Southern in Anne Arundel), Jordan McNeil, Gorham, 

Not nitpicking Mat, but none on that list played in the Baltimore City public school league. I’m pretty sure Nolan, McNeil and Gorham played at private schools. Conway is Baltimore County public school. Again, just sort of a statistical anomaly that in over a decade Skerry’s never had a City public school kid. 

In any event, it’s not that stellar of a list regardless. Nolan was only here 1 year; Holland never played a single game; McNeil stayed from start to finish, but was a role player. Gorham was the best of the bunch, but he transferred to Houston 

6 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Not nitpicking Mat, but none on that list played in the Baltimore City public school league. I’m pretty sure Nolan, McNeil and Gorham played at private schools. Conway is Baltimore County public school. Again, just sort of a statistical anomaly that in over a decade Skerry’s never had a City public school kid. 

In any event, it’s not that stellar of a list regardless. Nolan was only here 1 year; Holland never played a single game; McNeil stayed from start to finish, but was a role player. Gorham was the best of the bunch, but he transferred to Houston 

Not sure why it’s important getting players from Baltimore City. That was fine 25 years ago when the list was so long I don’t have time to write them The best players in this area come from the private schools or they left for prep. I wish some of those guys worked out, but I wouldn’t give up on a local recruiting if we can find a solid transfer who wants to finish his career at home

13 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

How many of those Baltimore Public School  kids are qualifiers? 

• Like 1