• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

Just now, TSU88 said:

Well, there’s some logic to looking at him. Local guy, big time recruit out of HS, and he played in HS with a guy currently on our team. If you get a guy like this though, I think it makes it even more of an imperative that any other guys we bring in from the portal be proven. A kid like Cornish might be high reward, but he’s damn sure high risk 

I'd rather take a very productive mid-major because when you have two ships available and I'm not taking that risk unless they think he's a HR. I'm taking the risk if we have 3 ships or more available. Maryland had no bench this season and I get if he's maybe too slow or doesn't defend well enough for that level. It's not like Carey and Martinez were All-Americans ahead of him. He's not small at 6-6, 190 though it looks like he could add a few pounds of muscle.

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

Well, there’s some logic to looking at him. Local guy, big time recruit out of HS, and he played in HS with a guy currently on our team. If you get a guy like this though, I think it makes it even more of an imperative that any other guys we bring in from the portal be proven. A kid like Cornish might be high reward, but he’s damn sure high risk 

Agreed, someone like this could work if you can also land a first or second team All-Conference guy from a mid-major (easier said then done). People act like that is a heavy lift for Skerry to accomplish, but as much as I stick up for him this is the current climate of college hoops and a big part of his job now is working the portal to land talent. If you can't do that off two of our most successful seasons in the conference when can you do it. 

I think Cornish seems like a risk, but a decent target. The portal is such a weird mix of waiting for the right player, but making sure you strike before everyone gets to the targets you want. A lot of these players seem like they have higher end options than us, and we will just have to wait for the pool to shrink a little or for the absolute perfect connection to pop up. This definitely makes mid-major recruiting a heckuva a lot more interesting than it used to be. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I'd rather take a very productive mid-major because when you have two ships available and I'm not taking that risk unless they think he's a HR. I'm taking the risk if we have 3 ships or more available. Maryland had no bench this season and I get if he's maybe too slow or doesn't defend well enough for that level. It's not like Carey and Martinez were All-Americans ahead of him. He's not small at 6-6, 190 though it looks like he could add a few pounds of muscle.

I definitely trust those who watch Maryland more than I do, but at least in Carey's case I know Willard saw him up close for a couple of years as one of the few consistently productive and experienced players at Georgetown and probably played it safe in his first year at Maryland by bringing him in to be a stabilizer. Even Martinez seemed to have a lot more experience. This is a tough environment now for freshmen who are not elite right away because there is such a backlog of experienced players that coaches tend to prefer. Not saying Cornish is anything special, but I think these are some of the inefficiencies of the transfer portal we can cash in on if we like the players and/or having previous connections. 

3 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I definitely trust those who watch Maryland more than I do, but at least in Carey's case I know Willard saw him up close for a couple of years as one of the few consistently productive and experienced players at Georgetown and probably played it safe in his first year at Maryland by bringing him in to be a stabilizer. Even Martinez seemed to have a lot more experience. This is a tough environment now for freshmen who are not elite right away because there is such a backlog of experienced players that coaches tend to prefer. Not saying Cornish is anything special, but I think these are some of the inefficiencies of the transfer portal we can cash in on if we like the players and/or having previous connections. 

I guess it's basically high-ceiling, high-risk. He might be pretty good his first season and great his second considering he's played so little the last two seasons. But we don't often get four-stars around here. It probably won't even matter if he gets that NIL dough from an SEC school, assuming he wants to go back down South and play for a P5/6.

11 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Alright, Chris. Yes or No?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4708214/zach-hicks

Overall shooting numbers are poor

Well, if you want a stretch guy that can shoot, he could be a pretty good target.  He set the Temple record for 3's in a game with 10 in the '21-22 season (albeit vs Del State) and when he's on a streak, he's dangerous.  Problem is, he doesn't drive much (shot 32 free throws all year) and he's a bit of a lax defender.  Given the list of teams that he's heard from, we probably don't have a shot at him.  I think we can do better but I wouldn't complain if he showed up on our roster.

15 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I could be wrong, but I think Cornish, at least at some point, was a teammate of Conway’s at Dulaney HS. He was a big time recruit coming out of HS. Still, I’m leery of guys who were highly touted and haven’t gotten off the bench at the big time program they chose 

Those Dulaney teams had some serious talent. Got to see them play in person a few times. Che Evans was arguably the biggest name on those teams and he ended up transferring from SDSU to UTEP to USC Upstate. I would not have guessed that none of those kids would have stuck at their original school. Nature of the beast that is the transfer portal I suppose. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Maybe Coach Shinnick can help Skerry out here 😆

16ppg; 44% overall and also a very stellar 44% on 3’s; 81% on FT’s. Worth a look I would think 

• Like 3