• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

11 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

As I said, if Paar, Biekeu and Coleman are all on the roster next season, that’s, well, let’s just say it’s problematic 

I’ll take it a step further. If Hicks or Conway are our starting PG next season, that doesn’t bode well either. Hicks is a liability on offense (unless he improves over the summer) and Conway simply isn’t a point guard. 

If Conway is the starting point guard, Hicks and Williamson are injured. He's more likely the starting two, but that depends on the portal. I think even Cole can play the point so he might be in the mix somewhere.

Just now, mat1992 said:

If Conway is the starting point guard, Hicks and Williamson are injured. He's more likely the starting two, but that depends on the portal. 

That sounds right. Would like to see Conway refine his game, to add some intermediate shots and/or drives to the basket 

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

That sounds right. Would like to see Conway refine his game, to add some intermediate shots and/or drives to the basket 

He's quick enough. I just don't know if he can score off the dribble against bigger players in the paint. Would have to use a floater or something, but getting to the hoop is becoming a lost art when everyone wants to drain the 3.

Ultimately, I think you want three scholarships available, though I'm hearing two with Charles back and possibly Paar returning.

If we only have two ships, then you basically need a 6-5 wing, who can play the 2 and 3 because you only have 1 experienced small forward in May. I don't think you want to be forced to start Conway and May, but you will need to start one most likely. If you have three ships, you can get a combo guard, a long 6-7 wing who can play some 4  and a true 6-7 to 6-8 power forward, who can play some center. Would be shocked if Tejada or Coleman is the starting power forward so you have to get a 4 man.

I think you also have to look at chemistry and spacing. Despite having just one real shooter on the floor and one mediocre one (Russell), our spacing wasn't terrible, but it was tougher with Sylla and Thompson on the floor. With Thompson, you really need a 4 man who can face the basket and stretch the floor. Cam could do one of those things. If we had a few shooters with a playmaker and a slasher who can finish, well, that's asking a lot but I think we have two shooters in May and Conway. I don't really know what we have in Williamson.

18 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Ultimately, I think you want three scholarships available, though I'm hearing two with Charles back and possibly Paar returning.

If we only have two ships, then you basically need a 6-5 wing, who can play the 2 and 3 because you only have 1 experienced small forward in May. I don't think you want to be forced to start Conway and May, but you will need to start one most likely. If you have three ships, you can get a combo guard, a long 6-7 wing who can play some 4  and a true 6-7 to 6-8 power forward, who can play some center. Would be shocked if Tejada or Coleman is the starting power forward so you have to get a 4 man.

I think you also have to look at chemistry and spacing. Despite having just one real shooter on the floor and one mediocre one (Russell), our spacing wasn't terrible, but it was tougher with Sylla and Thompson on the floor. With Thompson, you really need a 4 man who can face the basket and stretch the floor. Cam could do one of those things. If we had a few shooters with a playmaker and a slasher who can finish, well, that's asking a lot but I think we have two shooters in May and Conway. I don't really know what we have in Williamson.

Paar played 36 minutes last season, avg 2.4ppg. Biekeu avg’d 1.7 ppg; Coleman avg’d 0.6 ppg. If all three are back next season I have to ask myself if Skerry has lost his fire and is just kinda going through the motions. Numbers don’t lie. None of these 3 young men are D1 players. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Paar played 36 minutes last season, avg 2.4ppg. Biekeu avg’d 1.7 ppg; Coleman avg’d 0.6 ppg. If all three are back next season I have to ask myself if Skerry has lost his fire and is just kinda going through the motions. Numbers don’t lie. None of these 3 young men are D1 players. 

I'd say a healthy Paar is a D1 player, though not a very good one. But whether he wants to come back and play 32 games I'm not sure. I think there's a little more to that story. Biekeu gives effort but has little talent or size. Coleman has not shown enough and is not athletic enough to be a rotation player. You'd like to have 13 scholarship players who can step in and play when others are hurt, but that's not realistic. Having three guys who are not rotation players doesn't help when you're trying to replace two all-conference players, one starter and one backup. Even though I'd take Cornish in a second, I'd to have two other experienced mid-majors who can step in and play or at least be valuable rotation players.

19 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Therein lies the problem. We have 4/5 guys coming back who are fringe bench players on low low major teams. That’s 1/3 the roster. Along with losing a ton, it’s gonna be rough 

8 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Therein lies the problem. We have 4/5 guys coming back who are fringe bench players on low low major teams. That’s 1/3 the roster. Along with losing a ton, it’s gonna be rough 

Hicks: 2.6ppg on 35% shooting overall; dropping to 21% from 3. A fine defender but a major liability on offense. I can’t argue with you on this one 2012. Paar, Biekeu, Coleman and Hicks combined avg’d 7.3 ppg, and if they’re all back, that is close to 1/3 of the roster, leaving no margin for error in the portal 

Edited by TSU88

37 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

aren't scholarships renewed annually?  I 100% agree with this post, we don't need all 3 of these guys - i'd swap all 3 and gamble on transfers...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1