• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

2 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Agree with most of this, but 10 new names seem to pop into the portal every day. Hopefully we can get at least one name by tomorrow (although I believe the graduate player route is still available after tomorrow).

I think we are behind and have some catching up to do. I am just waiting to see what we get at the end of this process to judge how much of a blow being behind will be to us. NIL or not Charleston under Kelsey was always going to take this league by storm. It is why not winning the conference tournament in 2022 was such a big blow. Moving forward, no matter how good anyone in this conference is all roads go through Charleston.

I do understand a lot of what I type here feels like blind faith with the way the landscape is unfolding. I just want to make sure the whole process plays out (whatever that means) before I judge good or bad. 

You’re right, the entire process isn’t over, however I’m not sure it matters how many new players enter the portal each day, if we can’t afford to pay the ones looking for NIL to begin with. Somehow we got Jones without NIL, so maybe history will repeat itself. I’m not optimistic, but never say never 

Actually, I just had a brainstorm. For those players who have more than 1 year of eligibility left, give them an IOU for NIL next year. Then, if we don’t honor the IOU, they can sue us for breach of contract (I’m kidding, of course). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

You’re right, the entire process isn’t over, however I’m not sure it matters how many new players enter the portal each day, if we can’t afford to pay the ones looking for NIL to begin with. Somehow we got Jones without NIL, so maybe history will repeat itself. I’m not optimistic, but never say never 

Actually, I just had a brainstorm. For those players who have more than 1 year of eligibility left, give them an IOU for NIL next year. Then, if we don’t honor the IOU, they can sue us for breach of contract (I’m kidding, of course). 

That woulda been Waddell with NIL. Boy would he have had some fun… that is until the payment was due 😂.

Charleston.  

big gap

everyone else. 

We are playing for second which some on here will be doing cartwheels 

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

That woulda been Waddell with NIL. Boy would he have had some fun… that is until the payment was due 😂.

Charleston.  

big gap

everyone else. 

We are playing for second which some on here will be doing cartwheels 

C of C has become the evil empire, no doubt. Would love nothing better than to see them pull up stakes and take their $700K NIL war chest to greener pastures. Frankly, they would make a nice addition to a better basketball conference. Of course, not having a football program might limit their options, but A-10 comes to mind, where they wouldn’t be far geographically from Davidson, VCU, Richmond ….

42 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

C of C has become the evil empire, no doubt. Would love nothing better than to see them pull up stakes and take their $700K NIL war chest to greener pastures. Frankly, they would make a nice addition to a better basketball conference. Of course, not having a football program might limit their options, but A-10 comes to mind, where they wouldn’t be far geographically from Davidson, VCU, Richmond ….

Yep. Said it before. They are a perfect fit to the A10

12 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Yep. Said it before. They are a perfect fit to the A10

Split A-10 into North and South. South would include C of C, Davidson, Richmond, VCU, GMU, GWU. & St. Louis. Put Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, La Salle, Loyola. (ILL.), UMass, URI, St. Bonaventure, and St. Joe’s in the north. Really, all they’d have to do is move St. Joe’s to the South division & you’d have an 8/8 split. Would love to see us & Delaware go to the A-10 as well. Put us in the south and DE in the North. Problem is there aren’t enough football schools in the A-10, but maybe we could stay in the CAA for football, like Richmond and Rhode Island do. 

Edited by TSU88

19 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Split A-10 into North and South. South would include C of C, Davidson, Richmond, VCU, GMU, GWU. & St. Louis. Put Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, La Salle, Loyola. (ILL.), UMass, URI, St. Bonaventure, and St. Joe’s in the north. Really, all they’d have to do is move St. Joe’s to the South division & you’d have an 8/8 split. Would love to see us & Delaware go to the A-10 as well. Put us in the south and DE in the North. Problem is there aren’t enough football schools in the A-10, but maybe we could stay in the CAA for football, like Richmond and Rhode Island do. 

I guess city Ave is about 1 mile further south that olney 😂😂😂. But splitting up those two wouldn’t happen. Neither would them taking Towson and Delaware… there’s that pesky football issue

3 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Still some good players out there, but feels like the top names on our initial wish list are starting to dwindle. Are Watson and Blakney the primary targets at this point, or are there others out there we are refocusing on as we move forward? We know we are probably getting two more players, and it remains the case that I am interested to see who sits on our chair after the transfer portal music stops. 

Edited by Tiger93