• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

46 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

So this was an interesting pickup but on Friday, he de-committed from Bryant. At 6-6, 220, he can play both forward spots. Is pretty athletic. Probably a rotation player. Next player needs to be more of a wing

Will be interesting to dig in more on him. TSU88, this was one of the signings (with Bryant) that annoyed me when it happened because there were solid players out there (like him) that we seemed to be losing out to schools like Bryant, Delaware, Hampton, Stony Brook and others. It is one thing to lose NIL battles to College of Charleston, but those schools are either at our level or below us and we need to be able to beat them to players we want. I wonder what changed his mind, and if there is anything that can e read into further about this. 

1 minute ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

He’s super athletic and love his accent.  
Time will tell.  Welcome 

My first job was at Arthur Treacher’s fish and chips, so maybe he and I can swap stories about British food 😆.

We’re going international. UK & Canada 🇨🇦 now.. I also love British accents, though I’m thinking more in terms of Elizabeth Hurley 😉

• Like 1

Here’s an interesting factoid, not about Sulaiman, but about IUP basketball. The Crimson Hawks avg’d  2,127 in attendance last season. That’s more than 5 CAA schools and only 125 a game less than us. It’s more than Drexel, Monmouth, NE, Hampton and Elon, and only 6 people less per game than DE. They weren’t far off of Hofstra or Stony Brook, or us. Only C of C, NCAT, UNCW and W&M were substantially ahead of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Will be interesting to dig in more on him. TSU88, this was one of the signings (with Bryant) that annoyed me when it happened because there were solid players out there (like him) that we seemed to be losing out to schools like Bryant, Delaware, Hampton, Stony Brook and others. It is one thing to lose NIL battles to College of Charleston, but those schools are either at our level or below us and we need to be able to beat them to players we want. I wonder what changed his mind, and if there is anything that can e read into further about this. 

All of those teams have been to the dance way more recently than us…  it’s not all about money, some guys want to play and win.  Grasso is a tool. Maybe he didn’t want to deal with that?  We should be hosting them this year so that’ll add more intrigue 

With the addition of Sulaiman, it creates more depth up front and more need for guards. There's also a bit more versatility with Sulaimon having the ability to play both forward spots. It also allows PS to use him at backup PF instead of a freshman (Tejada) and a little-used player (Coleman). Tejada might be better at center to start off with. Hear that CT is adding to his offensive repertoire. Will have to see for myself in the summer.

C Thompson, Paar (Tejada/Coleman).

PF M. Jones, Sulaimon, T. Tejada, Coleman

SF May, (Sulaimon) M. Lowery

SG Conway, J. Cole

PG Hicks, Williamson

13 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

All of those teams have been to the dance way more recently than us…  it’s not all about money, some guys want to play and win.  Grasso is a tool. Maybe he didn’t want to deal with that?  We should be hosting them this year so that’ll add more intrigue 

Agreed. My initial point is those are teams I expect to be able to recruit against and win more often than not (I don't know if I am being realistic or not in that assumption). I know NIL is a consideration and it is hard to figure out where we stand when it comes to other schools that are similar to us in conference and success. I always feel like we are all playing catch up, but I don't know how accurate that is. When we are mentioned in recruiting the same players as those schools I am always interested in knowing what might have tipped the scales, or how hard we (or the other teams) were going after the player.

I will never really know that answer, but I am just trying to make as much sense out of the craziness as I can. I do know of the list of D-2 kids remaining that I have seen us mentioned with, Sulaiman seemed like he had the best combo of being an all-conference player and playing for a highly accomplished program. Of course, that didn't do much for us last year when we recruited the National Player of the Year for a highly accomplished team.

Seems like with Jones and Sulaiman we will have pretty physical athletes who can play the switching defense that Skerry loves (and drive me crazy at times) employ. As usually, this is crapshoot so I am looking for as many data points as possible, but you don't know until they step on the court. The two transfer so far feel like solid gets. Would love to get someone who can shoot it from behind the arc and play some decent defense with the last spot. 

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

With the addition of Sulaiman, it creates more depth up front and more need for guards. There's also a bit more versatility with Sulaimon having the ability to play both forward spots. It also allows PS to use him at backup PF instead of a freshman (Tejada) and a little-used player (Coleman). Tejada might be better at center to start off with. Hear that CT is adding to his offensive repertoire. Will have to see for myself in the summer.

C Thompson, Paar (Tejada/Coleman).

PF M. Jones, Sulaimon, T. Tejada, Coleman

SF May, (Sulaimon) M. Lowery

SG Conway, J. Cole

PG Hicks, Williamson

I’m not crazy about the projected starting backcourt. Hicks so far has shown little offensive upside and Conway is awfully small for the 2. TBH, I’m much more intrigued by the backups at those respective positions, Williamson and Cole. Problem with them is between them they have played exactly 0 minutes of college basketball. Given this, I wonder if Skerry will look for a G with the last open ship?🤔