• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

For those who haven’t seen Watson 

If we’re in play for this guy, Skerry needs to go hard for him. As is, we have some decent players (CT, Jones), a guy with potential to be really good (May) and some guys with a lot of upside, on paper (Cole, Williamson….). What we don’t have is a guy who is possibly a difference maker, and that could be Watson. Skerry can play it safe, and bring in a guy like Blakney, who avg’d 6ppg last year, or he can roll the dice 🎲 on Watson. Playing it safe might ensure us a middle of the pack finish in the conference. I for one think he needs to take a more aggressive tact and pull out all the stops to land Watson. If not now, when? C’mon Skerry, just do it!!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TSU88 said:

If we’re in play for this guy, Skerry needs to go hard for him. As is, we have some decent players (CT, Jones), a guy with potential to be really good (May) and some guys with a lot of upside, on paper (Cole, Williamson….). What we don’t have is a guy who is possibly a difference maker, and that could be Watson. Skerry can play it safe, and bring in a guy like Blakney, who avg’d 6ppg last year, or he can roll the dice 🎲 on Watson. Playing it safe might ensure us a middle of the pack finish in the conference. I for one think he needs to take a more aggressive tact and pull out all the stops to land Watson. If not now, when? C’mon Skerry, just do it!!!

Seems like he would be a good get, but out of the schools listed in the most recent post about him (on May 20) it feels like beating out Richmond (if they are going after him hard) will be very tough to do.

I get the sense that we are being aggressive and prioritizing him, but like some of the guys who we got beat out for by Temple sometimes you just get beat out by better programs. I would be annoyed if Northwestern State or High Point beat us out for him. Even though Northwestern State is coming off a pretty good year and I think has been pretty good at landing good transfers, and it sounds like High Point made a pretty good head coach hire this offseason. 

This sounds realistic but difficult, and it seems like it would be a solid pull if Skerry is able to get Watson to come here.  

Admittedly, I've not been paying full attention to our incoming transfer situation.  Yet, I get the impression, that in all reality, we may just end up with some transfer portal "crumbs" when all is said & done?  No game-changing players coming to Towson via the portal.  Is this a fair or accurate assessment? 

15 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Admittedly, I've not been paying full attention to our incoming transfer situation.  Yet, I get the impression, that in all reality, we may just end up with some transfer portal "crumbs" when all is said & done?  No game-changing players coming to Towson via the portal.  Is this a fair or accurate assessment? 

I think Watson would be closest to game-changer but it’s unfair to call Messiah Jones as a crumb considering he started at Wofford. Even if you get Blakney, Watson or some shooting guard, the team will be deeper and much more athletic. But to me, Watson is the closest guy who could be a top scorer and a late-game closer. I look at Sulaiman as a bigger Russell or shorter Gray, who can guard several positions, can block shots and runs the floor extremely well. In other words, they need to push the pace much more next season. Will have more length and athleticism either way, but the only way they get past Charleston would be for May to become Timberlake in his second year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

I won't pretend to be an expert on this, but I have been trying to track these process closely. I think "breadcrumbs" is an inaccurate term to associate with the two guys they have signed so far. I have seen a list where Jones is ranked in the top 125 transfers, and Sulaiman seems like one of the higher quality D-2 transfers (of course we thought Sylla was too) in this year's group from the little I can tell.

I would say somewhere in the middle of "breadcrumbs" and "game-changer" would be fair. Maybe I am being too optimistic, but the two guys they have signed seem pretty solid. I won't try to pretend that we are immediate contenders with these players. It seems like a fair amount incoming (and outgoing) talent from transfers and freshmen will be coming to this roster and remains to be seen what it will all look like. 

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

I think Watson would be closest to game-changer but it’s unfair to call Messiah Jones as a crumb considering he started at Wofford. Even if you get Blakney, Watson or some shooting guard, the team will be deeper and much more athletic. But to me, Watson is the closest guy who could be a top scorer and a late-game closer. I look at Sulaiman as a bigger Russell or shorter Gray, who can guard several positions m, can block shots and runs the floor extremely well. In other words, they need to push the pace much more next season.

I have no idea if this is true, but just looking at what we have gotten so far it seems like this team could be more athletic than last year, but probably won't be able to shoot as well. Seems tailored for the banging and physical play Skerry likes, but might be challenged offensively even more often than last year. I also am trying to figure out who the playmaker is right now, because Holden is gone and I don't love our point guards from that perspective. Hicks is the most proven we have in terms of running an offense, and he would need to make a big jump for us to feel confident about him being in that role.

Your posts on Watson definitely have me intrigued, but based on what I have seen so far this offseason he still feels like a tough get. The only good part is it feels like we have been in on him for a while, and coming from NC A&T he might have good impressions of what he saw from our program last year playing against us. Blakney feels more likely, but I have no clue what I am talking about. 

If it comes down strictly to $, we’re not beating out Richmond. This assumes: (1) Richmond really is in on him; and (2) Watson is exclusively motivated by $ 

39 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I have no idea if this is true, but just looking at what we have gotten so far it seems like this team could be more athletic than last year, but probably won't be able to shoot as well. Seems tailored for the banging and physical play Skerry likes, but might be challenged offensively even more often than last year. I also am trying to figure out who the playmaker is right now, because Holden is gone and I don't love our point guards from that perspective. Hicks is the most proven we have in terms of running an offense, and he would need to make a big jump for us to feel confident about him being in that role.

Your posts on Watson definitely have me intrigued, but based on what I have seen so far this offseason he still feels like a tough get. The only good part is it feels like we have been in on him for a while, and coming from NC A&T he might have good impressions of what he saw from our program last year playing against us. Blakney feels more likely, but I have no clue what I am talking about. 

Watson is more scorer than pure shooter. They will need to get him better shots and with Woods, he was never going to be the primary option. 

I’m not going to BS people and say this is the perfect team to beat Charleston, even with Watson. I also have to see the newcomers a few times to see how they fit and find out who has improved from the returning players. Not sure who we’re going to miss more, Timberlake or Cam. In some ways both, but definitely not on the defensive side.

I think the transfers are solid, but NIL probably prevented us from having a great class. That’s where we need to find alums with deep pockets to pave the way for the future in whatever it’s going to look like moving forward. 

This team will basically be as good as its returning players and their abilities to take their games to the next level. Especially Conway, May, Hicks and to a lesser extent CT, who still can get better and needs to improve on offense. The three transfers will be good pieces hopefully, but we need May to be Timberlake on offense. Can it happen without Cam’s passing? Sure, somebody will get him the ball off screens

50 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I think Watson would be closest to game-changer but it’s unfair to call Messiah Jones as a crumb considering he started at Wofford. Even if you get Blakney, Watson or some shooting guard, the team will be deeper and much more athletic. But to me, Watson is the closest guy who could be a top scorer and a late-game closer. I look at Sulaiman as a bigger Russell or shorter Gray, who can guard several positions, can block shots and runs the floor extremely well. In other words, they need to push the pace much more next season. Will have more length and athleticism either way, but the only way they get past Charleston would be for May to become Timberlake in his second year.

Man have we heard that before. We need to but won’t.  

49 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I won't pretend to be an expert on this, but I have been trying to track these process closely. I think "breadcrumbs" is an inaccurate term to associate with the two guys they have signed so far. I have seen a list where Jones is ranked in the top 125 transfers, and Sulaiman seems like one of the higher quality D-2 transfers (of course we thought Sylla was too) in this year's group from the little I can tell.

I would say somewhere in the middle of "breadcrumbs" and "game-changer" would be fair. Maybe I am being too optimistic, but the two guys they have signed seem pretty solid. I won't try to pretend that we are immediate contenders with these players. It seems like a fair amount incoming (and outgoing) talent from transfers and freshmen will be coming to this roster and remains to be seen what it will all look like. 

Role players. No one to get a shot when you need to. We have always been full of role players.  Yes Charleston won with role players but they went 10 deeps not 6-7