• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

But let me add to my rambling with more positivity. We basically replace Gibson with Williamson,, who is a pretty good shooter in his own right (yes, I've seen him live). We had Gibson for just three games last season and that loss hurt us pretty bad. Conway did a decent job stepping in, but he was more 2 guard than 1. So outside of Timberlake, we had no strong shooter in the starting linuep of Russell, Thompson, Holden and Hicks. Jones is not Holden in terms of being an undersized power/point forward. I expect something similar to his sophomore season (before his Achilles' injury), when he shot 65% from the field and 10.3 points in 21.3 minutes. He averaged just 9.8 points and 5.4 rebounds with Wofford last season, but that was in just 22 minutes. He was their starting center last season and got in a tough of foul trouble. I see him playing at least 28-30mpg this season so expect around 12 and 7. Not great. Not Cam numbers. Better defensively and he's not going to play a lot of center.

Jones, Thompson, Watson, May, and Williamson/Hicks is not super ideal for three-point shooting, esp. if Hicks starts. Then we're kind of back to last year with only one consistent 3-point option. If you had add May with Williamson and Conway, you have three on the floor who can shoot it from deep. I'm not getting into Cole yet, but he will be a legit scorer at some point. Maybe this season, maybe next. 

The thing I love about Watson is that at 6-6, 235, he has the body and athleticism to finish near the rim. He also shot 77.5% from the line last season. The negative part is 100 turnovers, 28.4% from the 3-point line and 42% from the field. Some of his worst games came against us and I think that's where the concern comes in. He shot 3 of 16 from the field in two games against Towson last season. More importantly, he had 12 points and 12 rebounds against Charleston in his only game against them (5-of-17 shooting, 0-2 3pt).  He did have some terrible games and great games last season. Kind of goes with the territory of a guy who shot too many threes and didn't use his frame to get to the basket more. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sr16 said:

sending some positive vibes lol 

Just more a function of reality. Richmond has a more storied basketball history than us, which in turn likely means more engaged alum and businesses contributing to its NIL than we have. I can’t imagine we can beat them out, at least right now, in an NIL arms race 

https://richmond.forums.rivals.com/threads/transfer-portal.12292/page-60

https://bceagles.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/demarr-langford-jr-/14912

Richmond seems to have a few players they are targeting, assuming their best player Tyler Burton is off to a high-major program. One of them is Watson, another is Nendah Tarke from Coppin State and DeMarr Langford from BC, who they may wind up getting.

BTW, Amarri Tice from Wofford wound up at Quinnipiac. 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Just more a function of reality. Richmond has a more storied basketball history than us, which in turn likely means more engaged alum and businesses contributing to its NIL than we have. I can’t imagine we can beat them out, at least right now, in an NIL arms race 

I think guys with one year left of eligibility, who are wings that shoot less than 30% from three for their career are probably not getting as much love as we think. Sure, the athleticism and bounce for his size is not common at this level.

10 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I think guys with one year left of eligibility, who are wings that shoot less than 30% from three for their career are probably not getting as much love as we think. Sure, the athleticism and bounce for his size is not common at this level.

I’m going to keep hope alive, until such time that he signs, hopefully with us. I’m hoping Richmond isn’t prioritizing him. Of course that doesn’t mean we get him by default. There could be other schools in on him, and Skerry has to want him more than any other guys he’s looking at. 

3 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Man have we heard that before. We need to but won’t.  

Role players. No one to get a shot when you need to. We have always been full of role players.  Yes Charleston won with role players but they went 10 deeps not 6-7

Can't argue too much, especially because any argument I would come up with would be based on information I don't know. This probably helps our depth, but I agree neither is really a go-to player. The reality like Matt said is that anyone that is going to be a go-to player would probably have to emerge from within the existing guys on the roster. Also, any additional depth would have to come from the freshmen surprising us along with whoever the third transfer would be.

I will admit there are more questions than answers, but I do think it sounds like there is some depth in talent and athleticism. My main worry is Conway feels like the only proven shooter and I don't know if he will ever be able to get his own shot. May has the highest upside and I feel pretty good about what he can be, but there are a lot of unknowns as to where that journey goes this year. 

12 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Can't argue too much, especially because any argument I would come up with would be based on information I don't know. This probably helps our depth, but I agree neither is really a go-to player. The reality like Matt said is that anyone that is going to be a go-to player would probably have to emerge from within the existing guys on the roster. Also, any additional depth would have to come from the freshmen surprising us along with whoever the third transfer would be.

I will admit there are more questions than answers, but I do think it sounds like there is some depth in talent and athleticism. My main worry is Conway feels like the only proven shooter and I don't know if he will ever be able to get his own shot. May has the highest upside and I feel pretty good about what he can be, but there are a lot of unknowns as to where that journey goes this year. 

May shot 39% from three last season.

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

May shot 39% from three last season.

He was solid from three last year considering a large majority of his time on thr offensive end of the court was just standing in the corner.  He will need to do a lot more on that end this year. But was a good defender

• Like 1