• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

15 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’ve heard that from another source as well. If you’re a glass 🥃 half full person (which admittedly I’m not) you could argue this weighs against Watson going there, as he might not be the focal point of the offense. What concerns me about Watson and High Point is the close proximity between NCA&T & HP. If Watson wants to stay close for some reason to NCAT, then HP is the way to go 

Yeah, I was concerned about the last part too. About all that we have going for us is that he has played against us twice in conference games where we looked pretty solid and demonstrated why we were a top 3 team in the league. He has familiarity with our team and probably saw what looked like a pretty solid program.

Admittedly, I don't think that can do much for us compared to getting more NIL money, playing for a Big East team or being closer to home. Probably not a whole lot, but I am a glass half-full type of guy so I will hold out hope since Temple took away the other two players I was somewhat excited about getting. I was getting annoyed that we lost out on some of our possible targets to Delaware, Stony Brook and Bryant, but I do have to say since that time the guys I thought we might have a shot at in O'Boyle (went to Penn State), Settle (Temple), Riley (Temple) and now Watson have gone to some pretty good programs. That really won't matter if we can't get a solid to good player with this last transfer scholarship. 

I think it was down to two schools and Richmond was out. Seton Hall swooped in last second and then it apparently was a wrap though I think Watson was leaning towards Towson last few days. Seton Hall must have come up with a lot of $$$ last second. I don't think the next option is Blakney. But this is one of the strangest recruiting processes of all time. Maybe they focus on the LIU kid or someone else.

Back to the list, which I know has had a few more D-2 guys added to it in the last week or so. I haven't made those updates at this point. I may go back and do that later with the full list I have stored on my computer. Sucks that we could not land Watson. Blakney stands out as the mostly likely on this list. I will still continue to ask what is going on with Marko Maletic, who may not be our type of player but could help open up the offensive a little by filling it up behind the arc. There was some tough competition on the list, but I have heard nothing about him since the initial May 5 tweet saying he had heard from Towson (which I know means pretty little in this process). 

Austin Williams (FIU/Hartford), 6-4, 200

Kam Woods (NC A&T), 6-2, 185 (point guard who shoots a lot, not likely interested)

Jovan Stulic (Arkansas Little Rock) – 6-6, 215 – played four games in 2022-23. 7.8 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 51.4% (76-148) FG, 43.8% (42-96) 3pt FG in 2021-22

Marko Maletic (Long Island) – 6-6, 208 – 15.9 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 43.2% (136-315) FG, 38.8% (69-138) 3pt FG 23-48 (Asst-TO)

R.J. Blakney (Dayton) 6-6, 195 – 6.1 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 44.0% (62-141), 24.2% (16-66) 3pt FG, 36-35 (Asst-TO)

I think we'll end up with a better shooter in the long run, which is fine, but Watson to me was the key for a strong or solid off-season. At least, the potential was there for him to be a big scorer and replace most of the points that Nick left. Athletically and physically was off the chart. The Settle kid is someone who intrigued me the most, even if he wasn't a big scorer and that's another likely NIL loss.

I do like the Sulaimon pick up, but not sure he is the guy to fill that wing role though he probably would be about the same as Russell in terms of production. We'd have to rely more on the bench and young players in what would be a transition year in some ways.