• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

Ian Martinez would have been interesting. No NIL involve because he's from Costa Rica. But I don't think he's heading to the CAA. Cam Spencer is off to UConn. Calmese to Washington.  Woods is not a wing. We need a 6-4 two guard or 6-6 wing. 

I'd be looking at Maks Klanjscek from Houston Baptist. Big scorer. Streaky. 6-5, 200 wing. Had some terrible games and a lot of good ones. Trey Woodbury is still available despite shooting 39.6% from three-point last season and is athletic. Not sure why he's still available. Maybe injury concerns. Mike Sharavjamts is going to San Fran, Memphis or Nebraska. Myron Gardner from Little Rock is turning pro. No chance at Grant Nelson. Zyon Pullin is headed to a P5 school. Anthony Roy from New Mexico State is intriguing as a 40% 3-point shooter but there is a red flag or two. Olivier Nkamhoua is headed to Michigan. Adrame Diongue is a 7-foot center probably headed to a P5. Alexis Yetna is a 6-8, 240-pound power forward headed to a likely P5/6. Arthur Kaluma from Creighton is not coming here. Daniel Deaver is a stretch 4 from Navy. Good three-point shooter (40%). 

https://nmstatesports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/anthony-roy/8889

https://hcuhuskies.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/maks-klanjscek/5535

https://gouvu.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/trey-woodbury/9261

https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/marko-maletic-player-stats

That leaves Woodbury, Klanjscek, Roy and Maletic as wings who can score that are available. I guess there's always juco and D2.

Here is a better list with descriptions but four days ago. Explains the Woodbury story.

https://theportalreport.com/2023/06/03/list-top-20-scorers-available-in-the-portal/

Rayquan Brown is another 6-6 athletic wing. Rough three-point numbers. No wonder he's available.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/5108859/rayquan-brown

32 minutes ago, Blounge said:

When does the portal pandemonium end? Is there an end date where they have to pick a school or stay put?

Guys that are in the portal now, just have to choose a school. Some have entered after a certain date, if they are not grads, they will have to sit out a full year or try and get a waiver. Ultimately, they need to find a school before the 2023-24 school year begins. We don't want to wait until late August for the last scholarship. Workouts are going on right now and we'd like to have somebody in shortly. There are probably 25 schools in the same boat.

The disappointing thing about this off-season is that we didn't add that one scorer to replace Nick, but on the other hand, last year's starting lineup had some issues at small forward (Nygal Russell) and point guard (Radhir Hicks). Add to the fact that Cam shot 63% from the line and 25.7% from long range.  CT shot just 63.1% from the line and was not finishing as well with his half hook. But he did average 12.2 points in 29.9 minutes per game. He also averaged nearly three fouls per game. Hopefully, a thinner and healthier Chase Paar can give them 10-12mpg and a bit better than what he did two seasons ago, which was 3.4ppg and 2.7rpg with 13 blocks. Biekeu averaged just 1.7ppg and 1.4rpg. I can see Messiah Jones (6-6, 225) play some small ball center as well since he'd played there at Wofford.

For this team to be successful, Jones is going to need to average more than 9.8 points per game. Looking back at least year's numbers and in his career, he never averaged over 22.3 minutes per game due to playing mostly center, where he was likely overmatched and got in foul trouble (3.1 fouls per game last year). Give him 28-30mpg and he should be averaging CT-type of numbers and a Cam-like 7rpg instead of 5.4. You'd like to see him stretch his game out to the perimeter, but he's never shown that in his career at Wofford. 

The bigger issue is the wing. Christian May (39% 3pt) will need to play a lot more minutes after playing 15.5 per game last season. He averaged 4ppg overall, but in conference, he averaged 5.1ppg in 17.9mpg. He'll need to be much more aggressive next season in looking for his shot to state the obvious.

Radhir Hicks averaged 21.2 minutes per game and shot just 5-of-24 from 3-point range and only took six free throws (made them all). The best thing about Hicks was his assist-to-turnover ratio (60-to-30). But it's going to be tough to start a player who averaged 2.6 points per game. He did start nine of 27 games, but as Ryan Conway (6.4ppg, 39% 3pt) is expected to move to the 2, it leaves Hicks and Dylan Williamson at the point. Williamson is definitely more of a scorer who can get his own shot. At 6-1, 180, can he get to the rim and at least get to the line, where Hicks, May and Conway failed to do so? Williamson can fill it up and if he can handle the point right away, Towson will be in much better shape.

Even if I see the team in the next few weeks, the only player I think physically might be able to play is Tejada. Cole is the player I'm most excited about checking out and Lowery might end up playing since there is a depth issue at the 3.

Sulaimon could be a wild card on this team. He's known as a strong defender and is a very good athlete. Shot just 14 of 45 (31% from 3pt) last season, before that, took just 10 3s in his previous two seasons, so his 3-point has been a work in progress. It's hard to quantify D2 stats other than 3-point shooting and FTs (73%) since the lines don't change as you move up. He still seems more PF than SF and I'd like to see if he can defend smaller and quicker players.

Overall, the sky is not falling despite the disappointing result, but I think the day Cam and Nick rolled out, there was going to be a change. This was not a great team last year with so many disappointing performances in non-conference play. They managed to get in the top four seeds, which would be a much better accomplishment than it was last season. At least expectations won't be as high as last season.

5 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Ian Martinez would have been interesting. No NIL involve because he's from Costa Rica. But I don't think he's heading to the CAA. Cam Spencer is off to UConn. Calmese to Washington.  Woods is not a wing. We need a 6-4 two guard or 6-6 wing. 

I'd be looking at Maks Klanjscek from Houston Baptist. Big scorer. Streaky. 6-5, 200 wing. Had some terrible games and a lot of good ones. Trey Woodbury is still available despite shooting 39.6% from three-point last season and is athletic. Not sure why he's still available. Maybe injury concerns. Mike Sharavjamts is going to San Fran, Memphis or Nebraska. Myron Gardner from Little Rock is turning pro. No chance at Grant Nelson. Zyon Pullin is headed to a P5 school. Anthony Roy from New Mexico State is intriguing as a 40% 3-point shooter but there is a red flag or two. Olivier Nkamhoua is headed to Michigan. Adrame Diongue is a 7-foot center probably headed to a P5. Alexis Yetna is a 6-8, 240-pound power forward headed to a likely P5/6. Arthur Kaluma from Creighton is not coming here. Daniel Deaver is a stretch 4 from Navy. Good three-point shooter (40%). 

https://nmstatesports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/anthony-roy/8889

https://hcuhuskies.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/maks-klanjscek/5535

https://gouvu.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/trey-woodbury/9261

https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/marko-maletic-player-stats

That leaves Woodbury, Klanjscek, Roy and Maletic as wings who can score that are available. I guess there's always juco and D2.

I know Roy from USF.  Lefty who can score and was puzzled that USF barely played him as a freshman but heard not extremely coachable but I look at what Souley Boum has done.  Oakland kids can hoop.  Not sure about his academics 😉

8 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Seems like the last scholarship has a good chance to be a D2/JUCO player. Still feels like a lot of options, but more unknowns when it comes to those players. I still wish we would make a place for Maletic, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Any specific player thoughts on where we go from here?

17 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Seems like the last scholarship has a good chance to be a D2/JUCO player. Still feels like a lot of options, but more unknowns when it comes to those players. I still wish we would make a place for Maletic, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Any specific player thoughts on where we go from here?

Maletic could be in the cards.

Know Charles wouldn't be able to play P5 and loves Towson, but props to him for staying around for what is going to be a throwaway year that we won't count against Skerry's record. If this was professional sports, we'd be shopping him for some prospects to rebuild. 8-10 in CAA with a couple of local OOC wins is officially the ceiling in 2023-24.

• Like 1