• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

Interested in opinions that people have about what sparks their interest most on transfers. Success stories of an all-conference performance like Holden, players looking to come home from something that happened somewhere else like Neal, or players looking to be the focal point of a team or change of style in play from a big school like Benimon. I know there is no one ingredient that makes anyone successful, but after our transfer class in 2021 I really would like to be able to nab at least one player that comes with all-conference honors from another conference (easier said then done). The D-2 Player of the Year excited me quite a bit in Sylla, but it was clear when you saw his film that he would be a complementary player. Charleston hit a home run on Brzovic, who I think was also a D-2 transfer. 

What do other people look at it and get excited by with transfer credentials? I know we all used to hate this stuff, but college is free agency and this is the new world of recruiting and figuring out the right formula to keep a team loaded with quality players. Once you have a program up and running, and transfers are part of the formula there really shouldn't be much of an excuse not to reload the next year. I know that is a lot for coaches, but this was they are signing up for in this era of college hoops. 

5 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

It’s the Covid year which will be gone by next years class.  Remember he redshirted his frosh year after being hurt. And also had a year of prep school. He may actually be older than bolon the Buffon 

Logically I know this, but it seems like after the 2021-22 year, when it needed to be an effect, it just created an unnecessary stack of players and a lot of absurd eligibility loopholes. It is the world we live in and I appreciate the opportunities for the players, but it just feels like it has gotten absurd. I will be glad to see it go. NIL is enough to deal with, stacking the extra eligibility year on top of it is creating a weird Frankenstein effect on college basketball. 

2012 is right; NT did a prep year in between HS and his freshman year with us. So he presumably was 19 when he got to Towson. His first game for TU was in November 2018. So, if he was 19 when he got here, he’s now 23 or 24. If he transfers and plays another year of college ball, he’ll finish his college career at age 24 or 25. Now, from his perspective, entering the portal is a no lose. If he finds a larger program that will shower him with NIL $, that exceeds whatever he’s offered to turn pro, then go for it. If not, turn pro and go overseas or D-League. Hard to imagine he’d make more on the NIL, but what’s the harm in exploring it.

I also agree with 93 that there comes a time to transition to the next phase, and leave college (although, being a career student ain’t a bad gig, if it pays). I for one will be glad when this extra COVID year runs its course. I’m not sure how fair it is for guys almost in their mid 20’s playing against 18 year olds. If I wanted to watch 25 year olds play, I’d watch the NBA (heaven forbid). 

2 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Logically I know this, but it seems like after the 2021-22 year, when it needed to be an effect, it just created an unnecessary stack of players and a lot of absurd eligibility loopholes. It is the world we live in and I appreciate the opportunities for the players, but it just feels like it has gotten absurd. I will be glad to see it go. NIL is enough to deal with, stacking the extra eligibility year on top of it is creating a weird Frankenstein effect on college basketball. 

I mean, a lot of teams didn’t play anywhere close to a full season.  Tough to tell a kid hey you played 14 games, that’s a full season. 

9 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

A 6’6 wing that doesn’t spread the floor is meh.  He has nice scoring numbers, rebounds and fg% in a good league so he could be a slightly better version of sekou. Would likely have two years left 

11 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

A 6’6 wing that doesn’t spread the floor is meh.  He has nice scoring numbers, rebounds and fg% in a good league so he could be a slightly better version of sekou. Would likely have two years left 

Hopefully we’re just window shopping right now. The portal floodgates don’t really open until after all the conference tournaments end this Sunday. 

20 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Hopefully we’re just window shopping right now. The portal floodgates don’t really open until after all the conference tournaments end this Sunday. 

I mean we will need probably 5/6 players 

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I mean we will need probably 5/6 players 

Agreed. I’m simply saying that most of the players who will be in the portal haven’t entered it yet. If there’s someone in there now that we’re in love with, of course, go for it. Otherwise, patience is a virtue. Now that we know NT isn’t coming back, we’ve got over 40ppg to replace. If CT doesn’t come back, it’ll be over 50. The stakes are high. The staff has to hit several home runs in the portal. No strikeouts (Paar, Sylla); no bloop singles (Rizzuto); no fly balls lost in the sun by the outfielders (Russell).