• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

IMHO, if he avg’s more than say 10ppg next year, we’ve got a problem 

Typo. Should have read if he averages more than 10 minutes per game we’ve got a problem. If he averages more than 10ppg, we’d have a minor miracle on our hands 

• Haha 1

Looks like another potential transfer off the board. Props to Jake Shindel, who seems to be one of the more active Towerlight reporters in recent memory. He seems to have developed some sources, which is usually something college newspaper reporters are still figuring out during their development. 

Feels like a disappointment to lose out to someone who chooses Hampton (possibly instead of us). I am always fairy optimistic about getting quality out of the transfer process, but some of the school's we have lost out to makes me feel like the climate has drastically changed since our 2021 transfer haul. 

Shamir Bogues (Tarleton St.) - I thought we might have a shot, but Vermont is a better destination in terms of program history
Gerald Drumgoole (Albany) commits to Delaware - if we tried to get him and Delaware beat us that is blow. It is somewhat unclear. 
Ziggy Reid (Merrimack) commits to Youngstown State - This seemed like a realistic get. Not sure how high he was on our list, but feels like we should be able to compete with Youngstown State. 
Andre Snoddy (CCSU) commits to Stony Brook - We should be able to beat out Stony Brook, but again hard to tell. I do believe Stony Brook will be good in this conference in the next couple of years. 
Tomiwa Suliamon (IUP) commits to Bryant - Another program it fees like we should be on even footing against in these recruiting battles. 

Feels like out of some of the remaining targets these feel like the most realistic and best (who am I missing?). 

Josh LeBlanc (many schools) 6-7, 230

Leo O’Boyle (Lafayette) 6-7, 210 PF/SF 40% 3pt
Frankie Policelli (Stony Brook) 6-7, 215
Charles Pride (Bryant) 6-4, 200
Joshua Rivera (Lafayette) 6-2
Nendah Tarke (Coppin) 6-4, 205
Kevon Voyles (UMES) 6-3, 180
TJ Weeks Jr. (UMass) 6-4, 185

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

After barely playing last season, I would assume (though I could be wrong) that he will have some rust to knock off initially. His minutes will also depend on who comes in via the portal, as with 2 open spots, it’s possible one will go to a big. IMHO, if he avg’s more than say 10ppg next year, we’ve got a problem 

I don't think it would be huge problem if he plays a similar amount of time that he did in 2021-22 if he can knock the rust off. Like I said, he probably could have averaged 13-15 minutes per game in 2021-22 if he could have cut down on the fouls. I don't want to make him sound like he is the key to us doing well, but we can be fine with him playing as a back up center and coming in when Thompson gets in foul trouble, needs a breather, or if we want to go big.

I am more concerned about getting shooter/scorer (on this team, O'Boyle from Lafayette jumps out) and an overall athlete that can help us out. To me, when Coleman plays too many minutes that is when I know we are in trouble with our interior players.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Looks like another potential transfer off the board. Props to Jake Shindel, who seems to be one of the more active Towerlight reporters in recent memory. He seems to have developed some sources, which is usually something college newspaper reporters are still figuring out during their development. 

Feels like a disappointment to lose out to someone who chooses Hampton (possibly instead of us). I am always fairy optimistic about getting quality out of the transfer process, but some of the school's we have lost out to makes me feel like the climate has drastically changed since our 2021 transfer haul. 

Shamir Bogues (Tarleton St.) - I thought we might have a shot, but Vermont is a better destination in terms of program history
Gerald Drumgoole (Albany) commits to Delaware - if we tried to get him and Delaware beat us that is blow. It is somewhat unclear. 
Ziggy Reid (Merrimack) commits to Youngstown State - This seemed like a realistic get. Not sure how high he was on our list, but feels like we should be able to compete with Youngstown State. 
Andre Snoddy (CCSU) commits to Stony Brook - We should be able to beat out Stony Brook, but again hard to tell. I do believe Stony Brook will be good in this conference in the next couple of years. 
Tomiwa Suliamon (IUP) commits to Bryant - Another program it fees like we should be on even footing against in these recruiting battles. 

Feels like out of some of the remaining targets these feel like the most realistic and best (who am I missing?). 

With the advent of NIL, the landscape has absolutely changed. I don’t know this for a fact, but I’m guessing that we have very little to offer in that regard, at this point. Absent some corporate benefactors, I don’t see that changing much. As such, it might be necessary to include D2 and JUCO’s in our search. 

As for the list you posted, I’m intrigued by Voyles, the UMES guy. There’s also another UMES guy in the portal named Styles, who has interesting numbers. That being said, I wouldn’t be surprised if O’Boyle lands here. He can shoot the 3, but doesn’t appear to be a guy who’s going to be able to put the ball on the floor and create his own shot, and I don’t think he would help much on the glass.

Edited by TSU88

14 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

With the advent of NIL, the landscape has absolutely changed. I don’t know this for a fact, but I’m guessing that we have very little to offer in that regard, at this point. Absent some corporate benefactors, I don’t see that changing much. As such, it might be necessary to include D2 and JUCO’s in our search. 

As for the list you posted, I’m intrigued by Voyles, the UMES guy. There’s also another UMES guy in the portal named Styles, who has interesting numbers. That being said, I wouldn’t be surprised if O’Boyle lands here. He can shoot the 3, but doesn’t appear to be a guy who’s going to be able to put the ball on the floor and create his own shot, and I don’t think he would help much on the glass.

O'Boyle sounds like what we got with Rizzuto. Only I believe Rizzuto came with all-conference credentials of some sort. It worries me that he probably peeked with his 3-pt shooting percentage last year, but maybe something clicked.

I guess I would be interested in knowing what our NIL looks like compared to Delaware, Youngstown State, Stony Brook, Bryant, Vermont and others. I know we are way behind the likes of Charleston (and likely Delaware), but when you see the NIL values of a lot of the low major kids it doesn't look any more out of our league than it does what they have to offer. I mostly understand NIL and all there is to do, but what I don't have a good grasp on outside of the obvious candidates is who is good at it, who is alright at it, and who is terrible at it. We seem to fall in the middle with enough success to get some decent players. However, I have no idea.

Like I said earlier, as a Georgetown fan I loved LeBlanc his freshman year but he only seems to be getting worse since he transferred out of that program. Charles Pride would be a good get, but the names I am seeding reaching out to him are way out of our league. Tarke had some good numbers against us and seems to have some size and athleticism, but don't know enough about him. 

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

Agreed. He is very active and a good follow. By far the best since I’ve been a student.   Seems like he came on later in the hoops season, maybe second semester.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Agreed. He is very active and a good follow. By far the best since I’ve been a student.   Seems like he came on later in the hoops season, maybe second semester.  

I’ve been covering games for decades and Jake is one of the best Towerlight writers in recent memory, maybe going back to the late 90s, early 2000s.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I’ve been covering games for decades and Jake is one of the best Towerlight writers in recent memory, maybe going back to the late 90s, early 2000s.

Is he a senior? Or will he be around for another year?