• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

With little or no NIL, it feels like going grocery shopping & the shelves are empty 

I suspect there are a fair amount of mid-major schools in our spot (not that it makes it alright). It is not exactly like the NCAA did a good job of laying out what was coming to help programs prepare for it. The whole situation has been a free-for-all, and the most prepared schools are a lot of the ones who were already bending the rules in the previous system.

The tough part is there are schools at higher levels that are building stuff up like us, and low-to-mid major schools that already had systems in place to naturally transition to this craziness. I believe the music for non-grad transfers is ending in less than a week, and it will be interesting to see where everyone scatters and who has chairs left to sit in for the upcoming season. I am sure there are players who thought they would cash in who aren't going to do so, and are just looking for good situations. What that looks like feels like a guessing game.

The part that amazes me is every time I think it is slowing down 5-10 new guys transfer as a result of roster moves there program made, and things head up again. There are 4-5 guys Matt has posted in the past week that I would be as excited to get as any of the guys we were looking at when we started this nonsense. That is why I won't judge until this process is done. Messiah Jones seems like a solid to good get, but he is somewhat redundant and we need two more solid players with some different skillsets, so at this point our grade would probably be a C-. I do have faith we will have at least one more very solid pickup. 

5 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

He’s 6-10 180 and a wing 

Interesting how much crossover we are seeing with schools like George Washington and Temple of who we are going after this late in the game. 

10 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Interesting how much crossover we are seeing with schools like George Washington and Temple of who we are going after this late in the game. 

So we’re in competition with Temple for this guy and the guy from Georgetown, Riley 

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

So we’re in competition with Temple for this guy and the guy from Georgetown, Riley 

Who knows at this point. I just go by the updates I see on Twitter. I have just seen GW pop up for the Howard kid and the LIU player, and Temple also popped up for him, Riley, and I thought I read one other. What that all means? Your guess is as good as mine. I don't mind following this stuff, but it all feels chaotic and random at times. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

don't mind following this stuff, but it all feels chaotic and random at times. 

You mean like throwing a bunch of stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks? I’m sure we have a strategy, but I think it’s safe to assume it’s hamstrung to some extent by lack of a robust NIL. I can’t help but wondering if, when the music stops, we’re going to be left standing and have to default to D2 and/or JUCO. I guess we’ll find out in the next week or two. Stay tuned 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

You mean like throwing a bunch of stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks? I’m sure we have a strategy, but I think it’s safe to assume it’s hamstrung to some extent by lack of a robust NIL. I can’t help but wondering if, when the music stops, we’re going to be left standing and have to default to D2 and/or JUCO. I guess we’ll find out in the next week or two. Stay tuned 

Yes, we will. I think we may end up with one juco or D2 guy, but I am pretty convinced we will get at least one more solid player (I still feel like we can get two). I have been a little disappointed in some of the guys we have lost out on from the outside looking in but hearsay is really all we have when it comes to knowing who they truly swung and missed on, and who they halfheartedly pursued and lost. I look forward to actually being able to realistically assess what our season could look like in the next 2-3 weeks.

This is also feels like the year where no matter how good the guys we get in the portal are Skerry may have to lean into being more patient with freshmen. It sounds like a pretty talented class, and one of the market inefficiencies at our level seems to be actually getting high quality production from freshmen (since everyone is leaning into the portal so hard). I don't know enough about them to know if that is warranted, but it feels like a class that has gotten some solid hype from different places. 

4 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

C’mon Mat, admit it, you’re making this up. Amillion Buggs? I want this guy, if for no other reason than his amazingly cool name 

• Like 1

I do like Steve Settle. Very unique. Of course, he could use 20 pounds but he is a wing with great length.

36 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I do like Steve Settle. Very unique. Of course, he could use 20 pounds but he is a wing with great length.

If we get him, first thing is put him in the weight room. I like the idea of a 6’10 wing who can run the floor. And he hit 33 3’s and shot 81% from the foul line I would assume with that length he could be disruptive on D as well 

Edited by TSU88