• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falls to Charleston in Semifinals 77-72

50 minutes ago, RundaPower said:

Give it a rest.  We know ..we know. Your constant “ see , I told you so” is nauseating.  “Rinse, wash , repeat “.. “Choke job’. Thank you for enlightening us. 
*SD I’m still here

Because it is the same thing every year.  20 wins and a trip to the semis finals at best is the ceiling for this program under skerry. Losing record as a top 3 seed. Not good!

2 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

So offensive rebounds and FTs work when it’s not Towson. But when it’s Towson it’s called Skerry ball. 

got it…

If any of our skerry ball years we made 75% fts like the cougars do, we would be having a different conversation. It works for them because they get a million possessions a game and push the pace. Not hold the ball and play mid 50s rock fights. They make the fts, we didn’t/don’t. They beat us three times all at the line. 

What's left to be said at this point?  This is exactly how I knew this season would end all the way back in October.  

Under Pat Skerry this program has gone from abysmal to competitive to now stale and stuck-in-neutral.  It's not unreasonable to think it could start going in reverse soon.  Bit of a bell-curve model.

Some people want to believe that we're just one key playmaker away from getting over the hump.  Pat's had 10 years to find that true difference making player and it hasn't happened yet, why would we think Pat's going to get this guy for the 2023-24 season?  And even if he does land a transformational player, I'm not convinced he would know what to do with him or how to use him.

The player's change from year-to-year, occasionally there's a new assistant coach.....the one constant has been Pat Skerry.  This program is in desperate need of a radical shift in mindset, a different leadership voice and a different way of doing things, cause the Pat Skerry way ain't working.  

Pat's definitely elevated the image and credibility of the program and I would think we could compete for some pretty impressive up & coming head coaches.  Time to capitalize on our respectability and get a solid new coach before we start to go in reverse and find ourselves back where we started when Pat first arrived.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The second half was maybe the most Towson way to lose. Have the lead and momentum, come out flat and choke it away, and then claw back to give us hope just to have our hearts completely broken at the end. Plenty of missed opportunities and head scratching "offense" throughout the second half especially. I never like to complain too much about refs, but they were bad last night. Calls were not consistent on both ends. I'm not going to pretend that's why we lost though. 

Despite some seeing it as blasphemous to say anything positive about this program or these players, I'll miss the Occasionally Big 3. They were inconsistent and frustrating at times, but when they were on it was a ton of fun to watch. I thought they had something special, and I suppose they did at times, but we just couldn't get over the hump. It's going to be hard to look back and feel anything besides disappointment about the last two years because of how these teams underperformed in March. I'm not going to blame things 100% on Pat (he doesn't miss the FTs, make guys chuck up insanely bad shots, forget how to rebound, etc.), but he's the common denominator here. I'm glad that we aren't a consistent bottom feeder anymore (not asking for a 20 win banner or parade, nor is anyone else - relax) and that we all have ever-growing expectations for this program. That said, it feels like we're stuck in the mud. Good enough to hover around 20 wins and be competitive during the regular season. And then, March. I agree with the sentiment that Dr. Steve has a chance here to make a statement about the future of the program. Is where we are good enough? Or do we want more? 

Here's hoping we hit the transfer portal lotto and don't have a lost season next year. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Pat's definitely elevated the image and credibility of the program and I would think we could compete for some pretty impressive up & coming head coaches.  Time to capitalize on our respectability and get a solid new coach before we start to go in reverse and find ourselves back where we started when Pat first arrived.

Completely agree. People are as high on Towson as I've ever seen in my time as a fan and we need to keep that going. We have to keep this program moving forward and I have serious concerns about what the next few years will look like if we keep the status quo. 

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

Even though I am a frequent critic of Skerry, I totally understand your point.

However, there are things that need to be said in a forthright manner. There are coaches that rise as the lights get brighter. Skerry is not one of those. There are coaches that….not always, but more often than not, get teams of great talent, teams of mediocre talent and teams of lesser talent to win big games. That is what separates them from the 20 game winning coaches. 

This moment presents the new AD to make his statement. If we can not buy out a coach, in what is as important financially as any sport we have, then Towson is not serious about athletics. TU has no problem firing Field Hockey coach for not winning or a baseball coach or a track coach, because that really does not cost them anything. Put your money where your mouth is. Then and only then will the donors, supporters and students have any real hope that athletics is significant……and if not, at least we know where we stand. 

Ok, but be rational. We have very few donors who have that kind of money. Why would you waste their money on getting rid of a pretty successful coach who has three years left? It’s  way different than firing a field hockey coach or even a football coach with an expiring deal.

Entertaining as hell game. Probably most fun I’ve had watching skerryball. Kudos for the come back but alas, predictably an out for us! Let’s get ready for more next year!

Also, a loss to Charleston by five in the semifinals isn’t like losing to Delaware last season. This Charleston team is better even if the Hens were way more talented. I can only imagine what Hofstra fans feel by losing in overtime when the best player in the league came up small. That was one of the best CAA tournament games I’ve ever seen live.

• Like 1

Not a great turnout for Towson fans, but wasn’t bad considering the time and our history. That’s why I keep talking about the portal. They can be top five or six in a bad league if they find quality players. As good as Cam was as a creator, he was a 6-5 power forward who was too small for that position yet we finished second in the league in rebounding margin. Desperately need a bigger four who can shoot to spread the floor better. But give Cam credit for playing one of his best games of the year when it mattered most.

17 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Ok, but be rational. We have very few donors who have that kind of money. Why would you waste their money on getting rid of a pretty successful coach who has three years left? It’s  way different than firing a field hockey coach or even a football coach with an expiring deal.

I understand what you are saying and I don’t totally disagree. However, if you talk the talk you had better walk the walk. This began with the comparisons of Michigan and Michigan State, etc. That was totally unlikely to happen. So, if none of that is true, at least be honest and say what the future is for the program. We are a mid major with not enough money to be a big time mid major. We are “another guy” in the world of mid majors. Hopefully the new fund raising Associate AD will get the job done and we can step it up.

• Like 1

Teasing Tigers I am telling you that is what we should call our athletic teams.  Halftime with Towson up 5 I hammered the Charleston +2.5 line.  1) Because I am a Towson fan and like everyone on here always will be, I knew more than likely what the outcome would be and would have been more than happy to take the monetary loss if they somehow hung on and advanced to the final.  But a last as most all of the social media post say after any Towson sports program loss "Fought hard until the end"-Instagram or "Towson men's basketball battles, but falls..."  Like I said earlier in the season we equate to the old line "She has a great personality" we all know what that means!

• Haha 1