• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falls to Charleston in Semifinals 77-72

We should have tanked in the UNCW game and tried our luck against Hofstra to give us a better shot of making the finals and losing to CofC. 

Reading all the comments thus far and I’m getting depressed.  I’m still in that addict form of saying.. “what if Nic & CT return etc!?”  “2023-24’ will finally be the season” “what if we add a Euro big who played for the Slovakian Under 23 national team” “Jamie Dixon gonna send us a grad transfer from TCU”

I need Towson Hoops rehab and I need it now.  Help me!!!  

• Haha 1

Thought we had a smart strategy at first cam going after bolon and trying to get him in foul trouble. Thought we were getting in psycho D’s head up until the skirmish with Pat skerry. I think that actually got Bolon going and he started to heat up. Loved that it was so intense that we couldn’t go 2 minutes without both side getting technical fouls. Loved seeing Pat Kelsey losing his damn mind and players talking back to him in English and Russian! Emotions were high. Nick was the coldest shooting that he has been in 5 years to start the game. Credit to him to not cry and sulk as we have seen him do before. He finally found his rhythm and got us back into it at the end. I’m sure Nick is taking this very hard on himself for missing lots of shots but the defense was all over him. Happy with the way Nick and Cam fought thru despite everything we have ever said about them on here.

on the other hand, I’m not happy with Charles Thompson. The flagrant 1 call where he hugged the guy on the breakaway was unnecessary. A regular foul, no foul, block, or made basket are all better alternative than giving them the free throws and the possession. Every possession matters in a game like that and that was a dumb way to lose a possession. His final foul to foul out was away from the ball and kind of bs with the physicality of how the rest of the game was played. Can’t have your glue guy show himself the door with 10 minutes left on the clock.

Also, not happy with Hicks. He shouldn’t be shooting from 3. Wasted possessions on the two missed 3’s he attempted. He should know better.

thought Russel played good and showed great hustle

Conway, May, and Sylla did as good a job as we could ask for in my opinion. 

CB actually played pretty decent having to come in for CT. 

the refs were bad, we foul a lot but it felt like we weren’t getting the calls on the other end when our guys were getting hacked. The missed travel call on Bolon really could have made the difference in the outcome. Big momentum moment.

would love to know what was truly said between Skerry, Bolon, the towson bench, and Pat Kelsey. Hopefully someone reading this was sitting behind the bench and caught the whole thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

I understand what you are saying and I don’t totally disagree. However, if you talk the talk you had better walk the walk. This began with the comparisons of Michigan and Michigan State, etc. That was totally unlikely to happen. So, if none of that is true, at least be honest and say what the future is for the program. We are a mid major with not enough money to be a big time mid major. We are “another guy” in the world of mid majors. Hopefully the new fund raising Associate AD will get the job done and we can step it up.

That was Bob Caret and he’s way gone. Let’s what the next president feels.

One thing I like is the passion from our small but loud fanbase. I wish I could get more people on here as that's always been my goal. If you are on social media, please spread the word. Getting 13 people after a loss in the CAAT is not enough. I think even if people say we plateaued as a program, we also have as a fanbase. Need more young alums out there and middle-aged ones.

The fact that we're getting close is a lot better than where we were 15 years ago when we couldn't win more than 12 games. Now that the league is down, this is the time to take advantage. We can't keep being one player away or one injury away. Need better depth and recruiting so when you lose an important piece or somebody gets in foul trouble, there's not a huge talent discrepancy.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Ok, but be rational. We have very few donors who have that kind of money. Why would you waste their money on getting rid of a pretty successful coach who has three years left? It’s  way different than firing a field hockey coach or even a football coach with an expiring deal.

Ok. We get that. But we are approaching another Ambrose/Kennedy scenario. Contract is running out you can: end this soon, give an extension or sit in your hands for 2/3 years of a lame duck coach 

1 hour ago, Blazer49 said:

Teasing Tigers I am telling you that is what we should call our athletic teams.  Halftime with Towson up 5 I hammered the Charleston +2.5 line.  1) Because I am a Towson fan and like everyone on here always will be, I knew more than likely what the outcome would be and would have been more than happy to take the monetary loss if they somehow hung on and advanced to the final.  But a last as most all of the social media post say after any Towson sports program loss "Fought hard until the end"-Instagram or "Towson men's basketball battles, but falls..."  Like I said earlier in the season we equate to the old line "She has a great personality" we all know what that means!

Yup. Unfortunately same here. Moral victories can only go so far after all of these years. 

1 hour ago, Blounge said:

We should have tanked in the UNCW game and tried our luck against Hofstra to give us a better shot of making the finals and losing to CofC. 

Hmm. I think that was mentioned (hawks did a great job of it!)

38 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Reading all the comments thus far and I’m getting depressed.  I’m still in that addict form of saying.. “what if Nic & CT return etc!?”  “2023-24’ will finally be the season” “what if we add a Euro big who played for the Slovakian Under 23 national team” “Jamie Dixon gonna send us a grad transfer from TCU”

I need Towson Hoops rehab and I need it now.  Help me!!!  

What if they come back? Another 20 win season and bounced before the finals. It’s not going to happen and honestly it’s for the best. They peaked. Solid players and ones who stayed 4/5 years. That’s rare but you are getting nostalgic of one regular season title. That was awesome but it’s not the goal. 

season was a failure 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Ok. We get that. But we are approaching another Ambrose/Kennedy scenario. Contract is running out you can: end this soon, give an extension or sit in your hands for 2/3 years of a lame duck coach 

Yup. Unfortunately same here. Moral victories can only go so far after all of these years. 

Hmm. I think that was mentioned (hawks did a great job of it!)

What if they come back? Another 20 win season and bounced before the finals. It’s not going to happen and honestly it’s for the best. They peaked. Solid players and ones who stayed 4/5 years. That’s rare but you are getting nostalgic of one regular season title. That was awesome but it’s not the goal. 

season was a failure 

We have very few donors with that kind of money. We only need 1 who is willing to step up. 

1 hour ago, AtlantaTiger said:

On one hand I'm happy we're not on this list but with Furman finally getting in, we're one team closer to being on it......Longest NCAA Tournament Droughts....

Teams With Longest NCAA Tournament Droughts | BetMGM

Ran numbers last night (thanks Wiki) and since we made our last trip, 85% of D1 has been to the Dance.  That doesn’t include the ineligible ones but Bellarmine last year and maybe Merrimack tonite have won their conference tourney title. 

• Like 1