• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falls to Charleston in Semifinals 77-72

I certainly do not feel like many of you do about Skerry.  Ambrose was simply not competitive after the 2014 season.  I'm including the Flacco teams. We got destroyed by a lame Duquesne Team that got blown out the next week and not worthy of being in the playoffs.  That is Abrose's best post West season and that ain't saying much.  Ambrose had almost 10 bad years.  My god Skerry is no where near that.  Ambrose was not competitive, Skerry is.  Maybe Charleston is just a slightly better team.  Slightly.  But there is no doubt that Charleston is a really good team.  They don't have 30 wins for no reason and yet anyone on here can easily find a way if we did this little small thing or that little small thing all three of these 2 possession games could have went in our favor.  We were right there.  That is good basketball.  We beat Hofstra pretty good and we beat UNCW no matter how ugly that game was.  They played ugly also.  Foul shooting, turnovers and foul trouble have plagued us at times throughout the season.  However I believe that Gibson was a big deal.  I had no idea that such a young man had a back issue.  When he went down in the fall it didn't look like much.  He is a very good shooter that can get hot and an experienced player.  I can only imagine how much more difficult it would have been to shut down Nick had we had a shooter like Gibson.  Gibson is better than May and Conway at this point. 

We don't have the biggest budget and unlike football it only takes a one or two players to have a good division 1 basketball team.  I'm not sure you are going to get any better with the budget we have with another coach.  The portal has changed everything and a program like Towson can easily become a bottom dweller if you are not careful for what you wish for.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, omniland said:

Charleston is just a slightly better team.  Slightly

If we played them 100X, we probably would win a handful. The rest would be L’s, most of which would be of the agonizing variety. 

Guess it depends on what your measuring stick for success is. As for me, being just good enough to lose close to C of C isn’t good enough. For  me, a total of 4 CAAT W’s in over a decade isn’t good enough. For me, never winning more than 1 game in any given CAAT, over a span of 10+ years isn’t good enough. For me, never making it to a CAAT championship game, after 10+ years isn’t good enough. But hey, that’s just me 

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

If we played them 100X, we probably would win a handful. The rest would be L’s, most of which would be of the agonizing variety. 

Guess it depends on what your measuring stick for success is. As for me, being just good enough to lose close to C of C isn’t good enough. For  me, a total of 4 CAAT W’s in over a decade isn’t good enough. For me, never winning more than 1 game in any given CAAT, over a span of 10+ years isn’t good enough. For me, never making it to a CAAT championship game, after 10+ years isn’t good enough. But hey, that’s just me 

Never making it to a CAAT Championship game and not making it to a Conference Championship final since 1992 are not good enough for any of us. I don't think anyone would suggest just being good enough to compete with Charleston satisfied anyone. We just have many different ways to look at how to move forward.

Last time I checked no one here is 100% on their predictions or opinions, which is why I come here to see the different perspectives of passionate Tiger fans. Let's face it I can't walk out the door in Minnesota (probably not in Maryland either) and have these conversations with just anyone. 

I want what you want but with our budget or lack thereof and our lack of fandom I don't think you get what you want.  The best I think you can hope for is a George Mason run when the stars align.  And now look at George Mason.  Never to be heard from again.  Never.  You think it can't happen here?

Just now, omniland said:

I want what you want but with our budget or lack thereof and our lack of fandom I don't think you get what you want.  The best I think you can hope for is a George Mason run when the stars align.  And now look at George Mason.  Never to be heard from again.  Never.  You think it can't happen here?

Granted, I don’t know what our basketball operating budget is, especially as it compares to other CAA teams, but I do objectively believe that if/when the time comes to hire a new coach that we would be an attractive job. The HC would probably be making half a million dollars a year, give or take, we have a very nice mid-major arena, and we’re in a good recruiting zone as far as the DMV is concerned. 

Perhaps.  But I'm not sure I have ever heard of a good Division 1 football program starting a season with a coach who has no years left on his contract.  It had to be budget.  There is no way the athletic department was pleased with his performance up to that point.  And yet they did the unthinkable and played the season out. 

Just now, omniland said:

Perhaps.  But I'm not sure I have ever heard of a good Division 1 football program starting a season with a coach who has no years left on his contract.  It had to be budget.  There is no way the athletic department was pleased with his performance up to that point.  And yet they did the unthinkable and played the season out. 

You can bet Skerry is soon going to be asking for an extension, if he hasn’t already done so. I suspect the argument (or at least part of it) will go something like “how can I recruit high school kids when I can’t guarantee them I’ll be around until they’re seniors. Other schools will use this against me on the recruiting trail.” 

43 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Pk has multiple wins in a caa tournament and has the same number of wins… in a better caa. Let that sink in 

1 hour ago, omniland said:

I certainly do not feel like many of you do about Skerry.  Ambrose was simply not competitive after the 2014 season.  I'm including the Flacco teams. We got destroyed by a lame Duquesne Team that got blown out the next week and not worthy of being in the playoffs.  That is Abrose's best post West season and that ain't saying much.  Ambrose had almost 10 bad years.  My god Skerry is no where near that.  Ambrose was not competitive, Skerry is.  Maybe Charleston is just a slightly better team.  Slightly.  But there is no doubt that Charleston is a really good team.  They don't have 30 wins for no reason and yet anyone on here can easily find a way if we did this little small thing or that little small thing all three of these 2 possession games could have went in our favor.  We were right there.  That is good basketball.  We beat Hofstra pretty good and we beat UNCW no matter how ugly that game was.  They played ugly also.  Foul shooting, turnovers and foul trouble have plagued us at times throughout the season.  However I believe that Gibson was a big deal.  I had no idea that such a young man had a back issue.  When he went down in the fall it didn't look like much.  He is a very good shooter that can get hot and an experienced player.  I can only imagine how much more difficult it would have been to shut down Nick had we had a shooter like Gibson.  Gibson is better than May and Conway at this point. 

We don't have the biggest budget and unlike football it only takes a one or two players to have a good division 1 basketball team.  I'm not sure you are going to get any better with the budget we have with another coach.  The portal has changed everything and a program like Towson can easily become a bottom dweller if you are not careful for what you wish for.   

He makes well over 500k which is on the high end in the league. If we don’t have money why the hell would we extend a career 500 coach for almost a decade??!